DIY Alkatronic reagent

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize it’s probably the same chemical as their reagent but it’s ok to put small quantities of muriatic acid into my tank?

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize it’s probably the same chemical as their reagent but it’s ok to put small quantities of muriatic acid into my tank?
From what i can tell it is the same thing as their reagent. The funny thing is they kicked me out of their group on FB bc of this post! no big deal, but them saying muriatic acid is dangerous and only buy our reagent is total BS! I have been using this DIY reagent for over a year about 18 months now with no issues.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s like Red Sea banning people for bringing the design flaw in their 750XXL public.

I’d be curious to hear Randy’s take on muriatic acid being added to the tank?

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s like Red Sea banning people for bringing the design flaw in their 750XXL public.

I’d be curious to hear Randy’s take on muriatic acid being added to the tank?
I've been doing it for over a year now with no ill effects. Their reagent might be sulphuric and not muriatic but either or his previous posts make me feel that is fine.

choooch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up looking for a local source of reagent grade sulfuric acid and ordered some 0.1N sulfuric acid from amazon.com. Shipping was reasonable to Canada.

I was looking at Randy’s diy Alkalinity test, Table 1:

15mL of 0.1N acid to 500mL of aquarium water yielded a dKH reading of 8.4

Alkatronic aquarium water sample is calibrated to 50mL

so
1.5 mL of 0.1N acid to 50mL aquarium water

Alkatronic reagent is calibrated to 10mL

So I figure 4:1 rodi to 0.1N sulfuric acid would be a good starting point

1.5mL acid + 6mL rodi = 7.5mL

I mixed up 40 grams of rodi with 10 grams of acid on a scale

I ran 4 back to back tests within 42 minutes

Test 1: 8.55 - Alkatronic reagent

Flushed reagent pump/line
Test 2: 8.58 – diy
Test 3: 8.53 – diy

Test 4: 8.51 – Alkatronic reagent

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some folks lower their alkalinity this way. Unless it is contaminated, it will be fine if you mean returning the titration tank water back to the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i can tell it is the same thing as their reagent. The funny thing is they kicked me out of their group on FB bc of this post! no big deal, but them saying muriatic acid is dangerous and only buy our reagent is total crap! I have been using this DIY reagent for over a year about 18 months now with no issues.

The only concern is purity. I expect it is fine as many folks drop the alk in their salt mixes with it using a lot more than used here.

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be a very helpful thread. However because I do nat have any background in chemistry it’s quite confusing. Can anyone give:

1) amazon link on the acid to use
2) ratio on acid to RODI

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be a very helpful thread. However because I do nat have any background in chemistry it’s quite confusing. Can anyone give:

1) amazon link on the acid to use
2) ratio on acid to RODI

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me.

the formulas are in the thread, just do a tiny bit of research....

The only concern is purity. I expect it is fine as many folks drop the alk in their salt mixes with it using a lot more than used here.

i did a triton icp and it showed no issues with tank conditions. been putting the waste back in the tank for 18+ months.

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be using 1.9 ml per liter of rodi with the one attached something that you’re using?

the formulas are in the thread, just do a tiny bit of research....

i did a triton icp and it showed no issues with tank conditions. been putting the waste back in the tank for 18+ months.

65E50B29-9CBC-4D5E-8DF4-F270E84421DB.png

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acid in the link is 1M. That is 2N. To get 0.1 N You will have to dilute it 20 times.
And then dilute it 4 times as in post 66. Or just dilute 80 times = 12.5 ml acid for 1 liter solution.
I normally use a scale diluting things but in this case the acid is a little bit heavier than water so You have to use a pipette for the Acid.

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acid in the link is 1M. That is 2N. To get 0.1 N You will have to dilute it 20 times.
And then dilute it 4 times as in post 66. Or just dilute 80 times = 12.5 ml acid for 1 liter solution.
I normally use a scale diluting things but in this case the acid is a little bit heavier than water so You have to use a pipette for the Acid.
That is great!!! Thanks! Will buy it today.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up looking for a local source of reagent grade sulfuric acid and ordered some 0.1N sulfuric acid from amazon.com. Shipping was reasonable to Canada.

I was looking at Randy’s diy Alkalinity test, Table 1:

15mL of 0.1N acid to 500mL of aquarium water yielded a dKH reading of 8.4

Alkatronic aquarium water sample is calibrated to 50mL

so
1.5 mL of 0.1N acid to 50mL aquarium water

Alkatronic reagent is calibrated to 10mL

So I figure 4:1 rodi to 0.1N sulfuric acid would be a good starting point

1.5mL acid + 6mL rodi = 7.5mL

I mixed up 40 grams of rodi with 10 grams of acid on a scale

I ran 4 back to back tests within 42 minutes

Test 1: 8.55 - Alkatronic reagent

Test 2: 8.58 – diy
Test 3: 8.53 – diy

Test 4: 8.51 – Alkatronic reagent

I have been away from this thread and reefing for awhile. Based on what you are showing here, it sounds like the Alkatronic undiluted reagent is 0.1N. Which if that is the case, is easy to source. I have 0.1N Hydrochloric acid on hand.

I also have 31.45% muriatic acid on hand. I plan to test @erky 's formula of 1.9 ml / L as compared to the OEM reagent.

Thanks to all the contributers to this thread, progress has been made to suggesting acceptable DIY versions of the re-agent.

Dennis

choooch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used.

There's a "non hazardous" sticker on the bottle and wasn't shipped as hazardous goods. I guess it's low enough concentration.

Screenshot_20191205-214727_Chrome.jpg

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been away from this thread and reefing for awhile. Based on what you are showing here, it sounds like the Alkatronic undiluted reagent is 0.1N. Which if that is the case, is easy to source. I have 0.1N Hydrochloric acid on hand.

I also have 31.45% muriatic acid on hand. I plan to test @erky 's formula of 1.9 ml / L as compared to the OEM reagent.

Thanks to all the contributers to this thread, progress has been made to suggesting acceptable DIY versions of the re-agent.

Dennis
if i remember correctly alk will be slightly higher with the 1.9ml reagent than the alkatronics, i got to a point where i was tired of fiddling with the exact formula, and this gave me consistent results so i stuck with that number.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used.

There's a "non hazardous" sticker on the bottle and wasn't shipped as hazardous goods. I guess it's low enough concentration.

Screenshot_20191205-214727_Chrome.jpg
is that the same as their reagent? 4:1 mixing ratio or different?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that the same as their reagent? 4:1 mixing ratio or different?

The OEM reagent also uses a 4:1 mixing ratio. So if this works as suggested, then it is a pretty good assumption that the OEM reagent is 0.1N as well. I thought I read sonewhere that the OEM reagent is also sulfuric acid.

Dennis

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OEM reagent also uses a 4:1 mixing ratio. So if this works as suggested, then it is a pretty good assumption that the OEM reagent is 0.1N as well. I thought I read sonewhere that the OEM reagent is also sulfuric acid.

Dennis
is there a specific way to test what acid is vs another acid?

Back