DIY Cabinet Stand

GBMD-Reefer137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a 45"w x 36"d x 36"h cabinet for a 36"x24"x36" tank.

The LFS had a 3/4" stand built for the tank, but I want a larger stand than the size of my tank (to hold more equipment and to fill up the space in my corner (where the tank is going).

I'm trying to figure out what supporting would need to be done to support this weight, as all of the weight would have to be transferred onto support legs which wouldn't be directly under the tank.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Here is a google drawing of what I'm trying to do. I would frame the inside of the stand with 2x4's, (sides and top), then skin the entire stand in 3/4" plywood. I was thinking of even dividing my stand and adding a support so that I could have shelves on the side too which would also give a bit of support to the 2x4 spans.

I don't have a 2x4 going all the way across the back, because there will be a cut out for the drain pipes.
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.19.27 PM.png

OP
OP
GBMD-Reefer137

GBMD-Reefer137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built this kind of stand before for my 75g. But with this new stand I want to try and build the stand BIGGER than the base of the tank. I just don't know how much support I'd actually need to build into the sides of the frame.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was near a local Cabinet Shop, so I stopped in. They can build me an open top un-reinforced, open front, and back box. Then I can reinforce it myself. I’m thinking about doing that for a Frag Tank, made from a 30 Gallon aquarium. They do not make Aquarium Stands, the use to, but there ended up being a liability problem with one.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need 2x4
The reason you are building this stand is because lack of space. Now you are filling up the space with 2x4? Doesn't make sense

i have several ideas so you can place the tank in the center of the stand, where you only have use plywood and make the stand look clean.

OP
OP
GBMD-Reefer137

GBMD-Reefer137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need 2x4
The reason you are building this stand is because lack of space. Now you are filling up the space with 2x4? Doesn't make sense

i have several ideas so you can place the tank in the center of the stand, where you only have use plywood and make the stand look clean.
Please share.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of you DIY skills or the tools that you have. But I think this stand can be build with minimal tools. Circular saw, router, drill and maybe impact wrench.

Plywood obviously isn't strong enough to support the weight of the tank. You will have to reinforce it with C channels.

The video below is the use of C channel to prevent table tops from bowing and twisting. Basically the same thing you are doing. I would run 3 C channels on your top. Just make sure that the C channel is resting on something firm as the entire weight of the tank is sitting on it. The plywood top is only there for looks. You can double up on the plywood on the side of the stand and have the C channel rest on the inside layer of the plywood. Now the side of your tank is 1.5" thick. I think that isn't bad compared to if you use 2x4 which is 1.75" thick and still have to wrap it with plywood.

I can go into detail if you need.

OP
OP
GBMD-Reefer137

GBMD-Reefer137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of you DIY skills or the tools that you have. But I think this stand can be build with minimal tools. Circular saw, router, drill and maybe impact wrench.

Plywood obviously isn't strong enough to support the weight of the tank. You will have to reinforce it with C channels.

The video below is the use of C channel to prevent table tops from bowing and twisting. Basically the same thing you are doing. I would run 3 C channels on your top. Just make sure that the C channel is resting on something firm as the entire weight of the tank is sitting on it. The plywood top is only there for looks. You can double up on the plywood on the side of the stand and have the C channel rest on the inside layer of the plywood. Now the side of your tank is 1.5" thick. I think that isn't bad compared to if you use 2x4 which is 1.75" thick and still have to wrap it with plywood.

I can go into detail if you need.

So something like this?

9F68D2DB-D2EF-436E-AE63-FAF22CD8EED8.png

OP
OP
GBMD-Reefer137

GBMD-Reefer137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I’m making this harder than I needed to. Structure needs to be under the tank. I am going to do the normal diy 2x4 stand, (8 uprights) but I’m still going to make the frame 44x24 and top it and wrap it with plywood. This will still put the corners of the tank over the upright supports, and give me the extra space in the sump and the full space cabinet I’m looking for.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I’m making this harder than I needed to. Structure needs to be under the tank. I am going to do the normal diy 2x4 stand, (8 uprights) but I’m still going to make the frame 44x24 and top it and wrap it with plywood. This will still put the corners of the tank over the upright supports, and give me the extra space in the sump and the full space cabinet I’m looking for.

There is a reason why Red Sea, Waterbox or any high end manufacture doesn't use 2x4. There is a reason why custom stand builders don't use 2x4 and use metal frame wrapped with wood instead. Its because 2x4 frame is ugly. It spells DIY

I am not sure what your goal is, but if you plan on using top end sump, with matching pvc and have everything look clean. You might want to rethink this.

OP
OP
GBMD-Reefer137

GBMD-Reefer137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason why Red Sea, Waterbox or any high end manufacture doesn't use 2x4. There is a reason why custom stand builders don't use 2x4 and use metal frame wrapped with wood instead. Its because 2x4 frame is ugly. It spells DIY

I am not sure what your goal is, but if you plan on using top end sump, with matching pvc and have everything look clean. You might want to rethink this.
I'm putting this tank stand in a corner on a 45" wall I didn't want the stand to be the 36" of the tank because I think that would look silly, which is why I'm making the stand the same width as the wall.

I'm trying to save money where I can, (clearly knowing this isn't a cheap hobby, I'd rather save money on some parts to spend more money on fish).

I decided to go with the 2x4 frame stand skinned with plywood as it will still leave me plenty of room in the stand for equipment while still being strong enough to support the tank above.

I will also have a DIY sump out of a 29 gallon tank from Petsmart, I'd rather just hide that, I'm not looking for anything too fancy "under the hood".

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting this tank stand in a corner on a 45" wall I didn't want the stand to be the 36" of the tank because I think that would look silly, which is why I'm making the stand the same width as the wall.

I'm trying to save money where I can, (clearly knowing this isn't a cheap hobby, I'd rather save money on some parts to spend more money on fish).

I decided to go with the 2x4 frame stand skinned with plywood as it will still leave me plenty of room in the stand for equipment while still being strong enough to support the tank above.

I will also have a DIY sump out of a 29 gallon tank from Petsmart, I'd rather just hide that, I'm not looking for anything too fancy "under the hood".
IC. The C Channel is overkill for what you want to do. Good luck with the build

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t people make stands for 100g or less with 1x4 or 1x6 especially if it’s going to be skinned won’t the plywood and to the strength of the stand?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t people make stands for 100g or less with 1x4 or 1x6 especially if it’s going to be skinned won’t the plywood and to the strength of the stand?
Yes, most stands use 1x4. My 180gbow front uses five 3/4" x 3" mdf as supports, wrapped in 3/4" mdf.

Its good to over engineer to prevent catastrophic failure. I too used to build 55g stands out of 2x4 myself. However, I started to go to high end LFS, looked at their simple design and construction. If I was a first time builder, I would mirror what the manufactures do.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my 80G cube stand out of nothing but ply. 5/8 baltic birch, and 3/4 baltic birch. 5/8 top and bottom, and the other 3 sides of the box out of 3/4. The front is just doubled up laminated 5/8 under the tank about 2" wide. The front is 3 doors with one large open compartment for the sump.

It's how the original was made(although MDF so it fell apart). Copied the design and it's great. Even made it larger then the tank for an electronics cabinet.

No reason just ply wouldn't work in this case either. Roughly the same size tank. 32x24x24

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back