DIY external back overflow, am I underestimating this?

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally ruled out a coast to coast overflow. I like the idea of additional surface flow, but my tank has a large center brace and I'm not going to have a section of overflow I can't access. If I had a rimless tank, I would consider a coast to coast overflow, but I've never seen a 200+ gallon tank with no bracing.
I have a 650 gallon tank with 3/4 inch glass that has no center bracing but has front bracing and also my coast to coast overflow in the back acts as back bracing.
The tank went through and survived a 7.3 earthquake 2 years ago without issues. The shaking was so bad that I water spilled from tank. Have checked glass regularly and have no issues with bowing etc.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 650 gallon tank with 3/4 inch glass that has no center bracing but has front bracing and also my coast to coast overflow in the back acts as back bracing.
The tank went through and survived a 7.3 earthquake 2 years ago without issues. The shaking was so bad that I water spilled from tank. Have checked glass regularly and have no issues with bowing etc.

Thats impressive. How tall is your tank?

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats impressive. How tall is your tank?
Tank is 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall. It’s an in wall tank so the first 9 inches is actually under a wall so I have a 9 inch brace along length to prevent water and salt getting on the underneath of that brick wall. And the back has an external overflow box along the length of the tank x6 inches tall and 6 inches deep and that acts as back external bracing.

spankyspam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this on one of my tanks, worked great took up 0 space inside the tank and was as cheap as it gets. I had a small screen (sometimes) over the bulkhead no overflow box, 100% wish my current tank was setup this way.
1613470611540.jpeg

1613470297047.jpeg
I was looking at doing this, but with a breeder on the back. U just had the bulk heads inside? At about how high?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back