DIY FILTER-NO FILTER MEDIA EVER

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by kecked, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve Valuable Member

[​IMG]

2. wopadobop

wopadobop Active Member

Many reefers use settling tanks to keep detritus out of their systems . There is a huge thread on it in another forum.

Solis Reef likes this.
  3. rosshamsandwich

rosshamsandwich Well-Known Member

filter floss ok

4. Kscope

Kscope Member

Be careful and don't run the diatom filter too long. They can really strip the water. Use a timer and run periodically. It will make the water crystal clear. They were commonly used to clean cloudy bacteria laden water in the 70s and 80s.

5. KenO

KenO Active Member

6. Dr.Xipoles

Dr.Xipoles Active Member

Very good thread. Following

7. Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

There's already an inexpensive device on the market that's sized for most aquarium plumbing that will work very well for this. Well provided an ultra fine filter can be sourced.

Take a look at the Rusko 1" sediment spin down filter. It's setup perfectly for either drain side or return side installation. And it's cheap too, with prices ranging from $45-65. It will not work for bacterial removal with the normal screens, but for larger solids it should perform well. If a micron sized screen can be found for it then it could pull out bacteria as well as other contaminates. Plus with this design there's no need for a catch basin like a vortex separator will need.

https://www.isopurewater.com/Rusco-...ilter-with-Flush-Valve_p_7417.html?redirect=1

8. Addicted2Coral

Addicted2Coral Member

Irrelevant but input, I've had 2 friends beat dinos with a 3 day black out and a daily 1ml per 10 gallon peroxide dose directly to the sump for a week.He did the dosing for one week once a day at night when they are free floating in the water column.

9. mibwb

mibwb Active Member

What's OLD is New again...I used them on my freshwater tanks, I bought them used..early 2000. They quit making them (factory burned down) years ago. But I saw on ebay new ones for sale...maybe they're making them again.

Kscope likes this.
  10. Kscope

Kscope Member

I have used this same method but I blacked out 3 days while dosing peroxide and it got rid of most of it. Blacked out again two weeks later for 5 days while dosing peroxide and ALL GONE! It is hard to black out for 5 days though. You just wanna peak...NO TOUCHIE!

Addicted2Coral likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted