Diy frozen cubes

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new reefer on a budget I've been looking for areas where I can save money. One place where I can save a little is making my own fish food.

I found this Houdini silicone ice tray at my local target and it gave me the inspiration. The cubes are about 1 gram when full and it makes up to 160 per tray. They end up much like the packs you can buy at your LFS but more of them.
1650325322001.jpg

For the filler I am trying different foods at the moment to see what my reef inhabitants like.

I found some frozen cod at the dollar tree for $1.25, mixed it with some algae wafers, and some freeze dried shrimp and then chopped it into bite size for my smaller fish. Early trials look promising.

I think at some point I I will switch to nori mixed with this seafood mix that is $8 at Sam's Club.

1650325428226.jpg

I think this could end up saving alot of money if I get it right and hopefully this will help out someone else with a diy itch.

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how big are the cubes compared to the standard frozen cube? I have to chop mine up currently because I only have a couple fish and a few critters to feed. If I could buy a bulk pack like Larry’s fish frenzy and slightly thaw and mold into these it would be a big time saver.

OP
OP
B

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how big are the cubes compared to the standard frozen cube? I have to chop mine up currently because I only have a couple fish and a few critters to feed. If I could buy a bulk pack like Larry’s fish frenzy and slightly thaw and mold into these it would be a big time saver.
Pretty similar size to a standard cube
IMG_20220418_192945950.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freeze on a cookie sheet and cut into small chunks throw into freezer bag.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a new reefer on a budget I've been looking for areas where I can save money. One place where I can save a little is making my own fish food.

I found this Houdini silicone ice tray at my local target and it gave me the inspiration. The cubes are about 1 gram when full and it makes up to 160 per tray. They end up much like the packs you can buy at your LFS but more of them.
1650325322001.jpg

For the filler I am trying different foods at the moment to see what my reef inhabitants like.

I found some frozen cod at the dollar tree for $1.25, mixed it with some algae wafers, and some freeze dried shrimp and then chopped it into bite size for my smaller fish. Early trials look promising.

I think at some point I I will switch to nori mixed with this seafood mix that is $8 at Sam's Club.

1650325428226.jpg

I think this could end up saving alot of money if I get it right and hopefully this will help out someone else with a diy itch.
Look into maybe adding can of cyclops too. It's inexpensive for 1 can and that 1 can goes a LONG way :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into maybe adding can of cyclops too. It's inexpensive for 1 can and that 1 can goes a LONG way :)
Never even considered that. Can you elaborate why to use it.

Back