DIY Radeon clone?

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why you guys don't just use a multi-channel fan controller like this
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Commander-Channel-Controller-AC-024-BN1NAN-A1/dp/B01B9618C2/ or this https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Controller-Individual-Controls-Independent/dp/B00P2PNOJM/ even cheaper.

Just wire each led channel in series on to each channel on the controller. do the same with all the fans too.

You could even use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Splitter-4-Pin-Molex-3-Pin/dp/B007S3T4O0/ for each channel to plug into if you don't want to solder.

I'll draw up a quick diagram if you are interested. It's quite simple really since the dimming is all voltage controlled. No pwm needed.

Also you should conformal coat the joints to avoid things shorting out.
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Modified-Conformal/dp/B07BSK5S7B/
Conformal/dp/B07BSK5S7B/

Last edited:

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The led drivers need a PWM signal to vary the lights intensity so varying the voltage wouldn't work unless I read the description wrong. The conformal coat is a good idea. I was going to use straight silicon, but this would probably cleaner.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe ( If you are using one ), the controller you are using controls via pwm and the drivers send a signal to the controler. That being said, the led's are still voltage controlled and pwm controller and drivers are not necessary. You could takea 9v battery and connect +/- to the led and it would work. Voltage controls dimming/intensity.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep you could directly control the LEDs purely through a rheostat to vary the voltage. One drawback of varying the supply voltage of the led is that the dimming range is limited.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep and personally I like the auto dimming of the storm controllers. My fish get a slow wake up, and I can extended the viewing time to be able to view the tank longer with the sunrise/set effects. I keep flasher wrasses that spook easily, and I think the gentle ramp up of the lights is less stressful to them than just an on/off at full brightness. Maybe not, I cant prove it but it makes me feel like I'm trying to make life more pleasant for them, lol.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 4 hour test at full power and without fan to measure the temperature.
That large heatsink seems to be really efficient, because it sticks at about 28°Celsius (about 80°F) with 26° room temperature.
Most work is done now though. Just need to wait for arrivals of additional leds (6x CREE XP-G3 Royal Blue), the acrylic splash protection and acrylic tank mounts.

IMG_0653.jpg

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you think of the xpg3s. I had a tough time deciding between them or the 12 luxeons. Since I was trying to do the build on the cheap I went with the luxeons.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you think of the xpg3s. I had a tough time deciding between them or the 12 luxeons. Since I was trying to do the build on the cheap I went with the luxeons.

I will do some pictures once its installed to my tank.

Actually i am really in trouble... few big coral stocks died and sea weed is growing too fast for my cleaning crew.
Reason is that my 3 years old china led is more or less broken. We had a super hot summer this year and the led fans failed on the fly.
It does not drop enough lumens now and i believe that the color spectrum is wrong as well.

So i need to finish that DIY led asap, to reboot my tank and rescue the other coral stocks that survived so far.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the livestock loss. Hope the new lights will serve you well.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that box needs some extra fan installed.
Its getting very warm in there when running with full power.

By the way... i did a big mistake yesterday when i tested the temperature of the led.
The power adapter was not set to the maximum volts, so of course if was very cool while testing.

So i just purchased 2 of those fans: https://www.amazon.de/Prolimatech-14-PC-Gehäuse-refoidisseurs-Heizkörper-PC-Gehäuse/dp/B00B1WQ4VA

Not the cheapest, but it is the only one thats really slim and should look well on the heatsink.

Last edited:

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that box needs some extra fan installed.
Its getting very warm in there when running with full power.

By the way... i did a big mistake yesterday when i tested the temperature of the led.
The power adapter was not set to the maximum volts, so of course if was very cool while testing.

So i just purchased 2 of those fans: https://www.amazon.de/Prolimatech-14-PC-Gehäuse-refoidisseurs-Heizkörper-PC-Gehäuse/dp/B00B1WQ4VA

Not the cheapest, but it is the only one thats really slim and should look well on the heatsink.

Try mounting the fans face down so that it pulls the heat away instead.

I have those those prolimatech fans very quiet and thin but are kinda weird being 140mm with 120mm mounting holes.

With the box you want to work with positive pressure meaning having more air intake than going out.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got the box temperature under control by drilling 2 holes in to the cover.
The one in front is right above the power adapter fan and the other one where the warm air comes out.
I tested the circulation with some fog (e-cigarette) and it works perfectly.

IMG_0655.jpg

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The box reached over 60°C after a few hours and was still getting warmer :(
I had to add some 75mm fan to blow the warm air out. Now its more or less stable at around 32-36°C.

U

User1

View Badges
My LDD's and 8 up boards get hot. There is no way I could combine any power supply mixed in so it is isolated - fans or no fans. I like your heat sink. I ended up going with 6 x 4 inch but originally wanted a 48" by 24" single. Just too expensive.

Looks great though.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LDD's and 8 up boards get hot. There is no way I could combine any power supply mixed in so it is isolated - fans or no fans. I like your heat sink. I ended up going with 6 x 4 inch but originally wanted a 48" by 24" single. Just too expensive.

Looks great though.

I have spend many hours searching for a good heatsink, but there is not that much offers out there. There has been a few on Ebay, but mostly from china and without any technical details about efficiency.
At the end i got one directly from the manufacturer (https://www.fischerelektronik.de/we...extruded heatsinks/VA/SK1131000SA/index.xhtml).
They ship worldwide though and the pricing is not that high compared to china or makerled ones.

sk113.jpg

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried to measure the lux using the Galactica Luxmeter app for iOS.

Right below the arrays with about 20cm distance it shows over 110.000 lux.
Between the arrays it varies from 45.000 to 65.000 lux.

My old and more or less broken china led drops only 5-15.000 lux under same conditions.

But who knows how accurate this app results are :)

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my 12w royal blues in I'll rent a par meter to get official numbers, but I've noticed a pretty positive response from my corals. Granted I don't have many as right now as I haven't restocked from a crash. My storm settings for the moment are: All blues around 3900 (I'm guessing ~95%), UVs at around 3800, Red/green at 1000 (~25 %), and white at 500 (~13%). With that I was getting around 32,000 lux about 8 inches down. With my SB Reefs I was getting 23,000 lux at a 100%. With the additional RBs I'm hoping I can really push up the white and R/G channels to put out some serious par.

Also I could be wrong, but I think lux meters have a harder time picking up that low 400 nm wavelength so it is probably understating it a bit.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It`s great to hear that your corals are doing well with the new led.
Do you hold SPS corals too?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back