DIY Radeon clone?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some pictures real quick. If you want more specifics on something let me know. Really the hardest part I found was getting a good solder joint on the arrays. The array is aluminum so you are basically heating the entire thing instead of just the contact point. With a higher wattage soldering iron it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

What I did was to pre-tin all of the contacts and then mounted them to the heat sink. To mount them I drilled and and started the self tapping screws. Then I cleaned everything off with goof off cleaner and then applied the thermal paste and tightened everything down.

When you wire the arrays, you want to run the +/- to the opposite of the second array on the fixture. So say power is coming in to + side of array 1, it would leave on the - of array 1 and connect to the + of array 2. It's the same for connecting two fixtures. You can't see the +/- in the picture but you get the idea. I also added a single royal blue and UV led in the center to act as moon lights. To mount those I used thermal epoxy. I was hand tightening everything but I did have the head of one screw break off, which you can see in the picture. I think it was just a bad screw as I was able to really crank on the rest. I just drilled a new hole in the array, I'm hoping it won't cause an issue in cooling.
wires.jpg

To connect the the fixtures I used the plugs in my part list. It really made it easy making sure everything is connected as it should. With including the fan and moon light wiring it worked so that I used every plug wire. I used the plugs so if I ever have to pull one off the rack it will be easy.
plugs.jpg

To mount the fan, all I did was drill a hole in the heat sink and ran a zip tie through the fans mounting hole. I did the opposite corner for the other side of the heat sink.
fan zip tie.jpg

To wire the fan, you want to cut off the three pin connector. The middle wire is the + wire and the wire with the dashes on it is the -. When you wire the fans up + will always go to + and same for -. I also included a second set of wires in case I found that I needed to add another fan to keep the fixture cool. I'm going to try and run a heat test this weekend.
fan wire.jpg

I pulled all of the driver boards apart to make an enclosure but I can take more pictures when I reassemble it. For each driver the boards will have a +/- connection on one side and a connection for the control signal on the other. Because I'll have 6 fixtures and each driver can handle 2 fixtures, I tied all of the drivers in to be controlled by a single channel on the controller. If you are going to have more than two fixtures it may help to map it out.
drivers.jpg

map.jpg

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I can take more pictures of the drivers and controller once I get those put back together.

Last edited:

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work Paphater! I'm lagging a little bit on this project, as some car troubles needed tending to first. I'll see if I can finish up the power supply enclosure this weekend and post some pictures.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all the components for a 1,20m tank with 4 led arrays.
I did not draw holes and screws. It`s just to have the correct dimensions to order the parts.

Headsink (from fisher, as posted earlier)
Heatsink.png

4x transparent acrylic led holder (about 10 USD each for custom laser cuts)
LED Holder.png

2x side plates (black aluminium/ about 6 usd each)
Plate.png

2x u-shapes (black aluminium/ about 10 usd each)
Side.png

4x angles (aluminium/ less than 4 usd each)
Winkel.png

1x transparent acrylic plate (about 30 usd)
Glass.png

this all should become a slim, great looking and well cooled housing:
SLIM LED.png

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news and bad news. Good news is I ran a temperature test at 75% for an hour the heat sink and fan are working beyond what I thought they would. The ambient temp was 72 and the array itself was 88 and the heat sink was 86. On top of that the fans are pretty much silent. The only noise they make is the actual air flow through the heat sink. The bad news is the fan in the power supply came on and its obnoxiously loud. I'm going to look in to replacing them or use another fan outside the supply to keep them cool.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a big surprise...

The 4 LED arrays ordered from china arrived today.
The storm x controller and boards ordered from usa are stucked in customs, so i have to pay some tax on monday to pick them up.
The heatsink, ordered in my local country did not arrive yet... what a shame!

@pathater
Did you notice that the +- connections on the led arrays are all asymetric?
They do not look very well made, but i still hope they do their job.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pathater
I received the storm x today, but they forgot the matching power cable.
Could you maybe tell me the technical specs of your cable? I want to order one locally, to avoid another 3 weeks delay.

IMG_0640.jpg

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The enclosure took a little longer than I wanted but it's somewhat done. Have to work on getting the second light wired to the enclosure. I'm using the 6"x12" enclosure from RapidLED since I have a hanging canopy that the enclosure can sit in. I'll post some pictures of the lights in action hopefully soon.
20180908_160858.jpg
20181008_005140.jpg
20181008_005146.jpg
20181008_005208.jpg
20181008_005437.jpg
20181008_005447.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Looks nice - are you not worried about heat in that closed box? My 8 LDD board seems to get warm. That power supply will also generate some heat.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply has its own fan that can exhaust through the small vent that I had drilled out just above it. I don't believe it should be a problem but I can always add a small fan to the enclosure to move the warm air out. Will probably test it over a longer time period once I get the second fixture connected to the box.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pathater
Could you maybe tell me the technical specs of your cable? I want to order one locally, to avoid another 3 weeks delay.

IMG_0640.jpg
I'll check tonight when I get home.
@pathater

IMG_0640.jpg

If it was supposed to come with a power plug I hope they give you some sort of partial refund. My wall adapter says 9v and 1A.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check tonight when I get home.

If it was supposed to come with a power plug I hope they give you some sort of partial refund. My wall adapter says 9v and 1A.

Thanks. I have got a fair paypal refund that covers the adapter costs.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures yet but I got the lights hung over the tank. I'll try and get some par readings this weekend. As I expected, the white channel really over powers the blue. I'd really recommend supplementing with some royal blues. I ordered some 12w luxeon royal blues.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heatsink arrived today and i just did a first test run.
This was my first time soldering, so for now im really happy that i did not destroy anything :)

I absolutely agree that the light spectrum is a bit too white. So i gonna add 3 more royal blues later too.

Actually i am thinking about to place the power adapter and driver boards in to a box (like tango0102) with the storm x on the frontside.
But how to install the temperature probe then? That wire is such short and i am not sure if an extension would break it.

IMG_0652.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back