DIY Stand Question HELP!

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m not sure if this is the correct thread for this…. But I have a question on a stand. I have attached a picture of my 40 gallon breeder setup but I just purchased my first house and am upgrading to a 75 gallon. Can I do the same stand setup with this bigger tank? It will be setup using the following:

6 cinder clocks
4 2x10’s cut to 52”

Ps. Obviously the wood will be cut longer to match the tank dimensions (referring to the picture)
79A32CFC-7C5E-4F5C-983E-C24DE85B93DF.jpeg

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cocoReefer. I built a stand like that for my 55 gallon, but with a center column. If you do that I think you should be good.

Attachments

• 20211108_174157.jpg
    20211108_174157.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a third set of blocks as a center support. But cinder blocks stacked in that orientation will hold the weight yeah.
Do you think if I did skinny ones like this it would be okay? I want to have as much room on the shelf for supplies as possible
I agree with cocoReefer. I built a stand like that for my 55 gallon, but with a center column. If you do that I think you should be good.
i really like that! Good job

Attachments

• DDEA21DE-968A-43FE-ABBF-89DE7BCF5F7A.jpeg
    DDEA21DE-968A-43FE-ABBF-89DE7BCF5F7A.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 45

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think if I did skinny ones like this it would be okay? I want to have as much room on the shelf for supplies as possible

i really like that! Good job
Thanks. I'm no structural engineer so I can't say for sure. Myself I would probably go with the larger ones. I guess as you fill it up just check that the center column seems stable and ok every so often. I figured I would save some money building a stand like this but in the end it cost nearly as much as buying a stand.

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm no structural engineer so I can't say for sure. Myself I would probably go with the larger ones. I guess as you fill it up just check that the center column seems stable and ok every so often. I figured I would save some money building a stand like this but in the end it cost nearly as much as buying a stand.
Yeah that’s the hard part! I just purchased this house so I’m trying to get this tank setup as fast and cheap as possible so I can transfer the livestock over here. Upgrading to the 75 was kind of a spur of the moment thing too which ended up costing me a little extra because I don’t want to run a sump so I have to plug the whole and all that. So I’m trying to do everything as cheap as I possibly can especially being a new homeowner

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s the hard part! I just purchased this house so I’m trying to get this tank setup as fast and cheap as possible so I can transfer the livestock over here. Upgrading to the 75 was kind of a spur of the moment thing too which ended up costing me a little extra because I don’t want to run a sump so I have to plug the whole and all that. So I’m trying to do everything as cheap as I possibly can especially being a new homeowner
I get that. My concern with the skinny blocks is that it seems if you accidentally bumped one from the side they might possibly give way and collapse which would be a disaster. Me, I would definitely put the bigger ones there too.

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that. My concern with the skinny blocks is that it seems if you accidentally bumped one from the side they might possibly give way and collapse which would be a disaster. Me, I would definitely put the bigger ones there too.
Yeah I’ll probably end up using the bigger blocks just to be extra safe.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo of the stand with skinny blocks does have ones set long ways in the back for shear strength. I think if you did that you can use the thin blocks.

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ll probably end up using the bigger blocks just to be extra
The photo of the stand with skinny blocks does have ones set long ways in the back for shear strength. I think if you did that you can use the thin blocks.
Yeah I noticed that while watching the video!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back