DIY suggestion help

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my fellow DIY’ers, I need some creative help here. I have an Emperor Aquatics 80W UV sterilizer that I’m trying to get mounted to my tank. No one sells any clamps above the 40W light or 4” brackets. So I need help to figure out how to rig a 6” bracket of some sort, make one out of something or if anyone does any CNC work or has ideas for rigging it up. Any ideas help much appreciated. Hope everyone is well staying safe. Happy reefing!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my fellow DIY’ers, I need some creative help here. I have an Emperor Aquatics 80W UV sterilizer that I’m trying to get mounted to my tank. No one sells any clamps above the 40W light or 4” brackets. So I need help to figure out how to rig a 6” bracket of some sort, make one out of something or if anyone does any CNC work or has ideas for rigging it up. Any ideas help much appreciated. Hope everyone is well staying safe. Happy reefing!

Cheapest, not great looking: pipe strap

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about industrial velcro straps? Easy to strap and unwrap, no rusting parts. Just depends on how and where you want to mount the UV to incorporate the velcro straps.

OP
OP
MarineREEFpassion

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough info for me. Mount it where, tank, stand, wall? What material do you want to use? Do you have a hole saw set?
So I want to mount it to the stand vertically with the inlet close to the sump then flow directly into the tank. But being the housing is 6” diameter that’s the dilemma. Something that will go around that and to support the weight. And yes I have a hole saw.

OP
OP
MarineREEFpassion

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about industrial velcro straps? Easy to strap and unwrap, no rusting parts. Just depends on how and where you want to mount the UV to incorporate the velcro straps.
Would it hold the weight of an 80W though. Not a bad idea though.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it hold the weight of an 80W though. Not a bad idea though.
Yes. Industrial strength velcro is not easy to peel apart. Just make sure that it overlaps on itself a couple inches. There are straps you can buy in varying widths. If you can somehow figure out how to attach it to the underside of your stand.

Edit... sorry didnt read your post saying that you want to install vertically inside stand. Nevertheless, the velcro will not slip and peel apart.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an 8" hole saw, or are good with a jig saw and drum sander, make the hole the same size as the body of the UV. Cut a 1/4" kerf and mount the back half to the stand. Drill two pilot holes near the edges and screw the front half to the back half.

1586356324204.png

OP
OP
MarineREEFpassion

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Industrial strength velcro is not easy to peel apart. Just make sure that it overlaps on itself a couple inches. There are straps you can buy in varying widths. If you can somehow figure out how to attach it to the underside of your stand.

Edit... sorry didnt read your post saying that you want to install vertically inside stand. Nevertheless, the velcro will not slip and peel apart.
Yeah Velcro is an option but I’m looking more along the lines of a cleaner more polished or industrial look to the installation if I can. All ideas are on the table though. I appreciate everyone’s help and great ideas so far!

OP
OP
MarineREEFpassion

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an 8" hole saw, or are good with a jig saw and drum sander, make the hole the same size as the body of the UV. Cut a 1/4" kerf and mount the back half to the stand. Drill two pilot holes near the edges and screw the front half to the back half.

1586356324204.png
Great idea! I like the bracket look. I think the base would fit in there well being the very end is 4” then it tapers out into the 6” housing.

416E009F-69FC-4C11-AB47-4322B5E77968.jpeg 5F6843AF-529D-407B-BC84-CA99D3BEC1E1.jpeg

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the 4" clamps from Bulk Reef Supply used to mount it vertically used on the top and bottom where it is 4"

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back