DIY sump with refugium

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic sump that measures 12x15x35. It has no baffles and I want to add a refugium. I've read through some of the others but am not sure how tall to make the baffles.

The tank is 15" tall and I don't want to waste any more room than I have to. I've seen some baffle kitsbwith 3 @9" and the 4th @13 with slots at the top.

I'm thinking I need 3 between skimmer and refugium area and 1 going into the return.

I will be getting the DT setup soon then I get to figure out the rest of the plumbing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any drawings of what you're thinking currently? I know several guys on the #reefsquad can help with sump design.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm no artist but basically I just want room for the sump and overflow I'm the first, right? I was thinking just split the rest for refugium,and the return. Dual overflow and return lines so I need room for backflow if power goes off.

The tank is 15" tall. Is that enough info?

1481128016459.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm no artist but basically I just want room for the sump and overflow in the first, right? I was thinking just split the rest for refugium,and the return. Dual overflow and return lines so I need room for backflow if power goes off.

The tank is 15" tall. Is that enough info?

1481128016459.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are marks on the sump from the last guy showing the water level change when everything's off. Do I just figure the volume from that and make sure the return area has more room than that?
Also when it backflows, is it ok to flow back into the fuge section, or should it be contained to the return?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you have enough extra space in your sump for the excess water that will back fill from your system if your return pump were to stop. Do some math, over estimate: if you think its around 8 gallons, i would accommodate for 15. The old lines on that sump won't do you much good if you're using a different display/plumbing configuration.

As far as the baffles go, just map out what you want to incorporate. So, right now you have a skimmer, fuge, and return. If you want socks, think about where you can add them, along with anything else. If that's it, then proceed. After you do your math, subtract that total from your total sump capacity. So, if you need space for 15 gallons, and you have a 30 gallon sump, your tallest baffle should probably only go about half way up the tank. Better to be safe than sorry.

Look at some other sump designs out there. I specifically looked at how vivid aquariums build their sumps, mainly because they have a design that runs dual filter socks which is what i wanted. Once you study them it's pretty simple: socks, skimmer, bubble trap, fuge, bubble trap, return, etc, etc, etc. It's much more efficient and cost effective to build a sump vs buying a plastic box for hundreds of dollars! ;)

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through so many forums and looked at tons. I did order my baffle pieces and will pickup today after work. I think I'm going to just go with a sock on the end of my intake by my skimmer.

Hoping to have tank on stand and start plumbing this weekend.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the blue protective plastic on the fuge dude to try to keep the algae contained. Is that going to stay, or should I just peel it off?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it's going to do what you hope it will...? If you remove it be careful, depending on your seals, pulling the plastic off could pull up your seals too.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no nutrients for algae to use, it won't grow, I did use a black acrylic vs clear on my sump on both sides of my refugium, never tested it against clear. If the plastic is still on, might as well leave it now

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test tonight, and I will finish hooking up my RO/DI.

Then all that's left is connect plumbing and check for leaks.

Since I've been cleaning everything with vinegar water do I need to go back over with a water rinse?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test tonight, and I will finish hooking up my RO/DI.

Then all that's left is connect plumbing and check for leaks.

Since I've been cleaning everything with vinegar water do I need to go back over with a water rinse?

Sounds good! You don't really need to clean it if you've been cleaning with vinegar water. Many folks use vinegar as a carbon source so it should have no ill affect, but if it makes you feel better you could wipe it down with RODI just to be safe. You never know, if you clean it with RODI, by default you might be cleaning other dust/dirt/debris in the process.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back