Do I need a tank controller?

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Depends what u want to do I bought one for dosing and monitoring my tank while out of town and depending on what u use it for is what controller will b best for u

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an Apex when I set up my tank based on the reviews and comparisons I read online and even though I don't have it doing anything too complicated now I would recommend it. I currently have it controlling my powerheads (just switched to WAV but had the Jabao controller) then on/off for my skimmer, return, fuge light, ATO pump (controlled by an Osmolator with DIY relay) and a new single head doser for vinegar. If you have it in the budget I would recommend one. It seems to make things much easier and gives me a piece of mind when I can pull up the tank when I am at work or just bored and curios.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with with @That guy it depends on what to do. I use Apex for controlling my pump, power heads, heat, skimmer, feeding, and maintenance. Sure I can have a couple of power strips and hit a switch when I am home, but I can also do this when I am away. You can also control you light if you would like and many more things.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased mine because I do not work from home and cannot always be there to see if something is happening. It provides me peace of mind over anything with the tank. Seems like pumps and heaters fail at the worst times, no matter how expensive of equipment you purchase.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got hooked on a controller when I had a big tank with a remote sump. it put everything including light controls into one interface and made it more reliable IMO. I have the Archon from Digital Aquatics. I like that I can monitor temp, PH and salinity within the controller and even view rends such as the PH over time. it is also great for custom light and pump cycles. Once you get one, you will be happy. do you absolutely need it to be successful, Nope

phantomreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated previously it all depends on the type of reefer you are. Either way you need one!

I highly recommend Neptune systems because you can start off with the most basic one and upgrade as you progress.

One of the important things you need to keep in mind is redundancy.

A nightmare many reefers face is our heater! The controller will shut it down in case it gets stuck on the ON position. You never know :/

Last edited:

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need one to be successful......no......but it sure makes things easier :) I recommend the Apex btw.

My thoughts as well

Go with Apex, they are the #1 controller out there.
That translates into more help when you need it and better development.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love controllers because it gives you more time to enjoy the tank instead of having to keep up with the little mundane chores.

ClownTang38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex and love it! It's pretty easy to use....I have everything running on it...skimmer, refugium light, pumps, heater, lights,etc.
I'm sure I'm not using to it's fullest but will do more research when I move to a bigger tank!

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking about this issue for a 150 mixed reef I've buying from a local reef junkie. He has all the high end gear, but no controller and claims he doesn't see the need. One question I have about the Apex networking is it necessary to have an actual ethernet cable hooked up to it? I will have the new Radion lights and wondered if I could just use their wifi module to control and monitor Ecotech gear.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not necessary if you have a wireless router. You can use a wireless adapter with it. But when your doing updates with it and updates to anything connected to it, it is best to plug it in with a wire.

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what are you doing with the relay on the apex and the tunze so? I have both and am interested in controlling the Osmolator better
Thanks
I have the osmolater pump wires going to a 12v relay which is spliced into a short extension cord then a liter meter standalone pump plugged into the cord. The osmolater is plugged into the wall but the relay is connected to the apex. This way I can kill the ATO at any time without having to deal with the 15 second pump run when it is turned back on. The parts were stolen from an old autotopoff.com setup I used before.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I just plugged mine into a apex outlet and use the feed and a delay to turn it off and wait a while after the pumps come back on ( learned that the hard way)

dale.thorpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read some good things about the Apex. Is there any controller that will control multiple tanks? I have 3.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back