Do I need to feed a small Derasa clam?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small clam yesterday and it opened up the same day.

I read somewhere (I can’t find it now) that small derasa clams don’t have a good chance of making it. I also read feeding it phytoplankton will boost your chances of it surviving.

Is this true? Also, I don’t have phytoplankton on hand, but I do have reefroids...can I use that instead?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and here’s a picture of him. He looks exactly as the picture shows, dull brown. Is that normal coloration for them? Or will he brighten up with good care? There is no shine of any blue when looking from above, and I’m pretty sure the tank I bought him from had phosphates.

Ignore the diatoms. There are going away now.

EF1D2165-2930-41BC-ACED-2180177BABCB.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams do not need to be fed to survive, they need light. Occasional broadcast of live phyto won't hurt but isn't required to increase survivability. That's a nice derasa and I see new shell growth so that's a good sign. Your clam may color up with time but it wont be dramatic blue like a maxima.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I see it now. Thank you very much!

Last question, does he look dull to you? How much brighter should I expect it to be? Is there a coloration type he has so I can google more about it? The photos online for derasa clams look much more brighter, but I do realize it could be photo editing.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back