Do I need to feed a small Derasa clam?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miami Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
29,664
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small clam yesterday and it opened up the same day.

I read somewhere (I can’t find it now) that small derasa clams don’t have a good chance of making it. I also read feeding it phytoplankton will boost your chances of it surviving.

Is this true? Also, I don’t have phytoplankton on hand, but I do have reefroids...can I use that instead?

Thanks!
 
Oh, and here’s a picture of him. He looks exactly as the picture shows, dull brown. Is that normal coloration for them? Or will he brighten up with good care? There is no shine of any blue when looking from above, and I’m pretty sure the tank I bought him from had phosphates.

Ignore the diatoms. There are going away now.

EF1D2165-2930-41BC-ACED-2180177BABCB.jpeg
 
Clams do not need to be fed to survive, they need light. Occasional broadcast of live phyto won't hurt but isn't required to increase survivability. That's a nice derasa and I see new shell growth so that's a good sign. Your clam may color up with time but it wont be dramatic blue like a maxima.
 
I’m very new to clams. Where do you see the new growth?
 
Ah. I see it now. Thank you very much!

Last question, does he look dull to you? How much brighter should I expect it to be? Is there a coloration type he has so I can google more about it? The photos online for derasa clams look much more brighter, but I do realize it could be photo editing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new