Do I need to pull my Leather

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this leather for about 2 months now, After a few days upon putting it in the tank, it took on the waxy shiny look and ended up shedding and then once it did, after about 4-5 days it finally opened up and looked great!

Over the past 2 months its retreated its polyps multiple times and shedded more and even dropped 2 frags, self propagation. One of those frags is doing quite well too, super long PE. Looks great. The other frag went to a friend.

About a week ago it retracted its polyps and took on the waxy shiny look again, I thought no big deal, its shedding again. Cept this time I started noticing white spots, every day they kept getting more and more to the point now its covered and does not look good. I ended up manually fragging off some pieces that didn't have white on it last night. But this is what it looks like this morning.

I've heard horror stories of a leather melting and nuking a tank. Do I need to pull this, is it done for? Or is there still a chance it can survive. Its not really shiny at all, just white and even now some brown spots all over it. Not sure what happened as I have 2 other leathers in the tank that are great, all my other coral are great. Parameters are in line. Haven't really changed anything.

Thanks in advance, Pics below. First pic is when it was fully polyp extended, second pic is this morning (lights off).
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d blown on it wit a Turkey baster it was probably just molting originally and with you fragging pieces off of it put stress on it so it’s going to take some time to heal I will say if you notice it starting to get worse than it is now you might just want to cut your losses and remove it

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d blown on it wit a Turkey baster it was probably just molting originally and with you fragging pieces off of it put stress on it so it’s going to take some time to heal I will say if you notice it starting to get worse than it is now you might just want to cut your losses and remove it
I had been blowing on it with a turkey baster for a week now. I only fragged it last night cause it looked like it does now. Been slowly getting to this point over a week.

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few leathers in my tank it’s not uncommon for them to shrivel up for a week at a time I have a leather very similar to the one you posted in the photo just pink instead of green and a few months ago it did the same thing looked like crap at one point I actually got a new make up brush from my wife and started to sweep across the top To remove some of the shed manually eventually it came back around in my situation it shrunk and got all nasty but stayed that way never got any worse if it did I would have pulled it I advise the same to you keep an eye on it if you notice it get any smaller or parts start to fall apart I would pull it

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few leathers in my tank it’s not uncommon for them to shrivel up for a week at a time I have a leather very similar to the one you posted in the photo just pink instead of green and a few months ago it did the same thing looked like crap at one point I actually got a new make up brush from my wife and started to sweep across the top To remove some of the shed manually eventually it came back around in my situation it shrunk and got all nasty but stayed that way never got any worse if it did I would have pulled it I advise the same to you keep an eye on it if you notice it get any smaller or parts start to fall apart I would pull it
Yea i've seen shedding before and it doesn't scare me. Just never seen all the white/brown all over it like this one has. Thats whats got me thinking its melting. Before it didn't have the white/brown, just got all shiny and then shed a day or two later.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it got super brown film all over it, I kept blowing it off as much as I could 2-3 times a day. Made sure it was in a ton of flow.

Took this shot 5 min ago. About an hour after broadcast feeding RedSea AB+.

Think she’s going to make it!!! dang things are hardy! First polyp extension I’ve seen in almost 2 weeks.
642D7322-92BC-4186-AC72-202554226D6B.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK - so - 10 years (yes 10 years ago) - I had a mostly soft LPS tank - decided to change - problem was I had a 2 foot leather coral growing (was a beautiful coral) - The fish store wanted it - came in - cut it off at the base leaving like 3 mm. Today - 10 years later - the coral is re-growing - They often go dormant for a long time IME - unless there is a problem in the tank - which can cause death.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so - 10 years (yes 10 years ago) - I had a mostly soft LPS tank - decided to change - problem was I had a 2 foot leather coral growing (was a beautiful coral) - The fish store wanted it - came in - cut it off at the base leaving like 3 mm. Today - 10 years later - the coral is re-growing - They often go dormant for a long time IME - unless there is a problem in the tank - which can cause death.

Yea I'm finding that out for sure. It was really ticked, I mean I thought it was melting. I had changed salt mix, I think thats what happened. It was the only coral in the whole tank that got mad. Rest are thriving.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back