Do I need to wait for water change after adding fish.

AdamW0611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished cycling my fowlr tank, ammonia and nitrate were going to 0 in less than 24 hours. Did a 50% water change, checked everything seemed good except Nitrates being high. I have 2 clowns in the tank now, and still ammonia and nitrates are good, but I'm curious the best strategy for water changes with new fish, I don't want to stress them out when they seem healthy and happy. The tank is 75 gallon, I have 30 gallons of saltwater warming up and mixing, would 5 or 6 gallon water change every night this week be good, a bigger water change every other day, or just wait and get a big change this coming weekend, or kind of ignore it and do 20% bi-weekly? I want to start getting snails and/or crabs now that I have fish eating and I hear they are more sensitive to this than the fish. I don't have a sump or anything so water volume is about 65 gallons give or take. Here is my tests from 32 hours after adding the fish. I've gotten good advice here and appreciate it.

20190908_201912.jpg

OP
OP
A

AdamW0611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a change 20%, 50%? Everything will be the same, but I have a baby heater in the Brute can so it takes a long time to heat up.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a change 20%, 50%? Everything will be the same, but I have a baby heater in the Brute can so it takes a long time to heat up.
I am a fan of the 20% changes. I would do daily 20% If you are worried but I would start with one water change of 20% and see how things are.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salinity and temp are matched you can do a 100% without problem for fish. All your bacteria that cycles nitrogen is on surfaces.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back