OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, try Fritz Algae gone. Water change 30% ever week. You should have a skimmer running. Lights off for 4 days, and cover your tank with something so no lights in. You also want to throw in some macro algae to try to complete with what is going on in your sump if you have it once 4 days gone.
Haven't gone the macro algae route, I only have a back chamber as my "sump" Haven't tried the fritz algae gone either. I've used Brightwell Razor and Macrobac to fight off bubble algae (which worked). I don't see a Fritz algae gone for Saltwater though....

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dosing bacteria. If you are having Dino’s when getting lower waste levels, you have a bacterial imbalance. Also bump up the clean up crew. Get 5-10 turbo snails, or a sea hare
Yup, have tried dosing bacteria and it really doesn't do anything. I've bumped up the clean up crew and they do not touch any of the algae on the rocks, I had 2 Turbo's that ended up dying about 2 weeks into the tank, not sure if this algae is toxic to some inverts?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should buy RO water in 5 gallon containers from a water supplier if you have no other way of getting rodi water.
then make your own saltwater with that, it's probably way better than what the LFS is selling you.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should buy RO water in 5 gallon containers from a water supplier if you have no other way of getting rodi water.
then make your own saltwater with that, it's probably way better than what the LFS is selling you.
This could be the issue, would testing the saltwater with the TDS meter net any useful information? I used to mix my own but just buying it was more convenient

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been fighting an algae in my tank for over a year. It is a green/brown/red algae that grows on my rocks, sand and has killed all of coral in my tank. I do water changes, blow the algae off the rocks and a day later everything comes back. I have already done a complete teardown of my tank a year ago and the same issues exist. I have added a more snails and a conch and they won't touch the algae on the rocks.

My tank is a 25 gallon with an AI Hydra 52 that is on 8 hours a day. I run Purigen, carbon and filter floss. I run a skimmer sometimes too. Livestock is only a Clownfish and Royal Gramma that I feed frozen mysis once a day. The only coral left in my tank is GSP that has stopped growing aggressively. I use RODI water for water changes and for my top off.

What should I do from here? I have tried dosing microbacteria, razor and others but nothing has worked. I'll attach pictures of the algae below.
Get a sea hare! I had the same issue in my 70. You just would need to get rid of it once it controlled your problem. Mine keeps my algae under control that I dont even need snails! He will have that clean in no time! Also watch water quality if youre not already. This is my dude Leon! He is also very fun to watch. Just make sure you have hermits to eat his poo, he does poo a lot.

Attachments

• 3A9033E5-B185-4782-BAF7-E283D2B0C610.jpeg
    3A9033E5-B185-4782-BAF7-E283D2B0C610.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 33

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sea hare! I had the same issue in my 70. You just would need to get rid of it once it controlled your problem. Mine keeps my algae under control that I dont even need snails! He will have that clean in no time! Also watch water quality if youre not already. This is my dude Leon! He is also very fun to watch. Just make sure you have hermits to eat his poo, he does poo a lot.
This dude is also very friendly and doesnt hurt a thing in my tank. He does irritate my zoas when he goes in a colony, but he goesnt hurt them and he cleans algae off of them.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely could be an option or maybe an urchin? But I think there is an underlying problem that is causing this algae that just needs to be solved. I do like Leon though!!!!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be the issue, would testing the saltwater with the TDS meter net any useful information? I used to mix my own but just buying it was more convenient
test the water you get from the LFS, with proper marine testers for phosphate, calcium, ALK, mag

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TDS meter reads 0 with the water I buy from them. It's in a giant tank that you can see. As for water changes yes, I try to do a water change biweekly of 5 gallons and a day after I scrub down everything almost all the algae comes back.

bi weekly as in twice a week or every other week?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely could be an option or maybe an urchin? But I think there is an underlying problem that is causing this algae that just needs to be solved. I do like Leon though!!!!
I tried urchins, but I never had good luck with them. Never lasted more than a week. So thats why I got Leon! Plus he doesnt carry frag plugs all over the tank haha

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest a serious algae grazer for your rocks. I like your idea of maybe a tuxedo urchin, or a sea hare could be an option. I have heard they eat a lot, but you may need to return it if your algae stops coming back. An algae blenny could be helpful too. I have a blenny that picks at the rocks all day. My urchin spends a lot of time on the glass, but is helpful too.

I blow my sand and clean every week before water change, and I change the water every week. It sounds like you do already, but I found that doing it strictly every week, sometimes twice a week helped me. I also saw improvement with a small refugium in my sump. I grow a lot of algae and cyano in there now, and it is harder to clean in my opinion. I'm not sure if you could make macro work or not. I think lfs water is a red herring, and I also think 25 nitrates is not that big of a problem.

FS

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest a serious algae grazer for your rocks. I like your idea of maybe a tuxedo urchin, or a sea hare could be an option. I have heard they eat a lot, but you may need to return it if your algae stops coming back. An algae blenny could be helpful too. I have a blenny that picks at the rocks all day. My urchin spends a lot of time on the glass, but is helpful too.

I blow my sand and clean every week before water change, and I change the water every week. It sounds like you do already, but I found that doing it strictly every week, sometimes twice a week helped me. I also saw improvement with a small refugium in my sump. I grow a lot of algae and cyano in there now, and it is harder to clean in my opinion. I'm not sure if you could make macro work or not. I think lfs water is a red herring, and I also think 25 nitrates is not that big of a problem.

FS
Thanks I just tested the LFS water and nitrates and phosphates are zero. Tuxedo Urchin might be the solution I need to turn to. A refugium would be impossible for me since there is barely any space left in the back chambers and I know a hangon back refugium could be pretty expensive on not even work. Maybe I can put some Macro Algae in my tank? I would've mind the look but not sure where to get some....

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why use a big light on a small tank?

It doesn't look like it killed all the coral...I see lots of GSP in your photo.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I just tested the LFS water and nitrates and phosphates are zero. Tuxedo Urchin might be the solution I need to turn to. A refugium would be impossible for me since there is barely any space left in the back chambers and I know a hangon back refugium could be pretty expensive on not even work. Maybe I can put some Macro Algae in my tank? I would've mind the look but not sure where to get some....
Dragons breath looks really cool.
Have you talked to John from reefcleaners.org? He may have a few suggestions for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back