Do I take the chance?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that captive bread Regal Angels are available do I take the chance? I have failed miserably with this fish in the past. My tank is well established and going great,SPS dominate with a Frogspawn , Hammer and a few Gonnies. Thank as 3 tangs and a Swallow tail Angel . And other smaller assorted fish. 150 gallon display.
My biggest concern is the fish going rogue and whipping out the SPS.
After he is Qted and ready for display will he be the target of the tangs or will he not be seen as a threat due to his size?
I can also keep him in my Seahorse and tank till he puts on some size provided he would not wreak havoc in there?
Picture of main tank for reference.

7898808C-CBC0-4C49-900D-4341B8DAD38A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now that captive bread Regal Angels are available do I take the chance? I have failed miserably with this fish in the past. My tank is well established and going great,SPS dominate with a Frogspawn , Hammer and a few Gonnies. Thank as 3 tangs and a Swallow tail Angel . And other smaller assorted fish. 150 gallon display.
My biggest concern is the fish going rogue and whipping out the SPS.
After he is Qted and ready for display will he be the target of the tangs or will he not be seen as a threat due to his size?
I can also keep him in my Seahorse and tank till he puts on some size provided he would not wreak havoc in there?
Picture of main tank for reference.

7898808C-CBC0-4C49-900D-4341B8DAD38A.jpeg
They are bound to nip on SPS polyps And softies.
Otherwise likely very adaptable to the aquarium

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Regal is going on 3 years that I have had him, beautiful fish, certainly the boss of the tank. Any new comer that is bothered by the tangs feels the wrath, funny to watch the new guys hang around with him. Mine has never bothered corals other than specific colors of zoas, some he just refuses in the tank, will pull them off and watch them float away.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're listed as reef safe with caution, so they might be ok or they might not. I have 4 angels in my tank: midnight dwarf, coral beauty dwarf, lamarck and emperor. Only the midnight has picked at corals - namely my acans (I can't have acans).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be extremely cautious if the tangs have an elongated body (I.E. Acanthurus, Prionurus, Naso, ect). The Angel may be a risk too, they will definitely irritate SPS, I took a chance with a blenny (Lineatus) and man I’m regretting it, my dream SPS is being murdered because he is constantly billing it.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regal angelfish here! I thought mostly a risk to fleshy LPS not so much SPS. Mine never touched SPS and I have acans and a torch coral that hasnt touched I believe it did peck at a duncan I had though

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Regal is going on 3 years that I have had him, beautiful fish, certainly the boss of the tank. Any new comer that is bothered by the tangs feels the wrath, funny to watch the new guys hang around with him. Mine has never bothered corals other than specific colors of zoas, some he just refuses in the tank, will pull them off and watch them float away.
After QT would he be able to hold his own against the Tangs they are up to 6 inches ? This Regal will only be about 2 inches at first

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be extremely cautious if the tangs have an elongated body (I.E. Acanthurus, Prionurus, Naso, ect). The Angel may be a risk too, they will definitely irritate SPS, I took a chance with a blenny (Lineatus) and man I’m regretting it, my dream SPS is being murdered because he is constantly billing it.
Tangs are Purple , BP , Tomi. No aggression going on in the tank but occasional short chase. I feed VERY heavy and I think this keeps aggression down.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all different, my newly added CBB was being harassed and they are not the fastest of swimmers, things settled down quickly. The tangs were not interested in any goby that I have added recently, nor did they care about a neon dottyback, maybe just the shape of the CBB.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, black, gem, chevron and mimic. They all play around and chase, but nothing aggressive or anything that causes damage, same here with the feeding, plenty for everyone.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all different, my newly added CBB was being harassed and they are not the fastest of swimmers, things settled down quickly. The tangs were not interested in any goby that I have added recently, nor did they care about a neon dottyback, maybe just the shape of the CBB.
I have a CBB in there been in over a year and he is left alone

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Don’t see much of an issue with tangs except the yellow and will be a day or two of harassment
Keep lights low to keep tangs at bay
I have 18 tangs and no issues

Gobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what you are willing to risk. If you can sacrafice maybe a coral or two destroyed and you still love the fish go for it. How much does this fish matter to you?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chance is zero at the moment. You have to add the fish to have any meaningful discussion. I wouldn't QT the new comer either, so there you have it. Zero or One if you make the right move.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back