Do you even Chromis Bro?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok folks, before I order 15 Chromis, I want to know who has had multiple Chromis in their tank for a year or more. I have been doing research and before I even start QT I am worried about uronema that these guys have. So if you have Chromis let me know how long you have had them. I think they would make great Shoaling fish.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.

Every time I've ever tried to keep a school of Chromis, I've ended up with one or two. They just don't play nice long term.

I'd recommend looking at some of the many varieties of Cardinals. Blue eye, ochre striped, some are pretty cool.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every time ive ever tried groups of chromis they all slowly get picked off. I gave up years ago after two attempts ending in the same thing. For a fish that people claim to school together, I’ve always just had them duke it out.

Good luck!
Yeah, I've tried with eight before ended up with one I figured if I get more in a group it would work. I think you have confirmed my suspicions

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope.

Every time I've ever tried to keep a school of Chromis, I've ended up with one or two. They just don't play nice long term.

I'd recommend looking at some of the many varieties of Cardinals. Blue eye, ochre striped, some are pretty cool.
Cardinals might be a much better idea that and I don't have to worry about uronema.

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Chromis are more of a shoaling fish then a true schooling fish.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with uronema?
No issues so far all are healthy. I feed 4 times a day seems to help with stability in the ranks.
20191231_170920.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tearing a tank down to catch one fish sucks.
I had to remove a pygmy angel due to coral nipping. I could have caught all the chromis as they were all in the trap after the brine shrimp. Hope I dont have to remove them but if you have patience the trap will work. Left it in there for 3 days before adding food.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I’ve tried several before and they’ve all whittled down to one.
Yea if that happens I will not do it again. Have a friend with a 300 that has had10 in his tank for several years. They do get bigger than most people realize though.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if the extra feeding helps. I know over a period of 6 months my fist batch of eight dwindled. I never found the bodies of 3 during QT and in the DT i never found the bodies of any of them either.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 210 that they will be going in after QT. They don't seem aggressive toward other fish. They don't live long enough for me to decide either lol.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the extra feeding helps. I know over a period of 6 months my fist batch of eight dwindled. I never found the bodies of 3 during QT and in the DT i never found the bodies of any of them either.
Time will tell but they are super eaters and I have to feed in 2 spots so the others get food. Other fish are 1 clown 1 pajama cardinal 1 yellow wrasse and 1 lawnmower blenny. Do not plan on adding any other fish for now.
I also forgot that I feed r.o.e several times a day on top of the other feedings. No schedule but wife feeds during the day @ 5 to 6 drops at a time.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 that they will be going in after QT. They don't seem aggressive toward other fish. They don't live long enough for me to decide either lol.
My clown chases them when they get to close to the frogspawn it lives in. My blenny pushes them away if they get to close. They have not been interested in the other fish. This may sound bad but at $3 a piece you really cant go wrong. They due bring alot of movement to the tank which I like.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back