Do you guys name your fish?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe every body doesn't have a snail named Gary! When diatoms attack, who else would you want on the job?

gary2.jpeg

So yeah, even my inverts get names. Snails, crabs, shrimps, they all eventually get names.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40b currently. Why?

miss my foxface but it’s going to be longer than I originally anticipated before I have a bigger tank. Gave him back to my LFS. The firefish are doing fine though

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40b currently. Why?

miss my foxface but it’s going to be longer than I originally anticipated before I have a bigger tank. Gave him back to my LFS. The firefish are doing fine though
They typically don't like having multiples, unless they are a true m/f pair especially as they grow

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have orchid dottyback violet
Two clowns nemo and marlin
Firefish Princess poppy
And a chromis Cinderella
Crabs shiny moana genie sheeny etc lol

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They typically don't like having multiples, unless they are a true m/f pair especially as they grow

Interesting. They’re all about 2.5” long. I have yet to see any aggression at all. But I’ll keep an eye on them. Thanks for the info

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. They’re all about 2.5” long. I have yet to see any aggression at all. But I’ll keep an eye on them. Thanks for the info
No problem man, I only really looked into it cause I had a chance to get a 125 basically for free and was BSing about throwing like 30-50ish assorted firefish in there and the club went hol' up there buddy

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids named a few when they were young, but I never have. I have never really thought of fish as pets, not really. Much more interested in the ecosystem than specific individuals.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem man, I only really looked into it cause I had a chance to get a 125 basically for free and was BSing about throwing like 30-50ish assorted firefish in there and the club went hol' up there buddy

Ah man, I’m glad you said something. I was hoping to have 10+ in DT when I finally get it and set it up. Glad I know better now. Kind of disappointing though. I’d much rather have a school/shoal of them vs chromis or damsels. Oh well.

asingleton527

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly all of mine are named.

I've got
Harry, Lloyd, Uno (ocellaris) and Bandit (Wyoming White) clownfish
Foxy the yellow tang and Frankie the tomini tang
Scooter (scooter blenny), Sharkbait (blackline blenny) Murray (lawnmower blenny)
Moop the pearly jawfish
Qui Gon Finn (Orangeback Fairy Wrasse)
Big Tasty (dogface puffer)
Patrick (sandsifting star) Eugene and Little Guy (emerald crabs)
...and The Three Stooges (my 3 green chromis)

Spending so much time taking care of and observing them, I couldn't help but give them names. They are my little water pets.

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids named a few of them. Yellow tang is lemonade, vlamingi is snowball, tail spot blenny is jack, clowns are Wilma and George.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain fish...? Sometimes. Really depends on the fish!

Here is one currently I have in my tank with a name... Lucky.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t name any since my last tank crashed. This time around they are doing so great I hate to jinx it by naming them! My Valentini names all the inverts Snack.... it’s worth it. :)

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get why people don’t name their fish but it’s weird to me they’re my babies!!

all of my fish are named after dragon ball z characters, hence the senzu gang tank name. We currently have Yamcha, Videl(only girl worthy), puar & Yajirobe. I am missing my Saiyans but getting fish due to covid has been difficult

AB796227-65CB-4461-9202-445695F10E59.jpeg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were trying to think of names for our Purple Fire Fish (now known as Violet) and our YWG and it got me to thinking if people name their fish?

Frankly I really don't know, I always just assumed they were like dogs or cats, you name them. So what do you guys do?
My 3yo son names all of them. As you can guess they have some interesting names, but he remembers which ones are which so no matter how crazy or simple they are it's their permanent names. Me and my gf even call them by the names given to them by our son.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back