• Reefing is my job

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 year Self employed painting/ wallpaper contractor here. Used to love my job. However believe it or not, painting is not an easy job. The years of repetitive motion has taken its toll on both my shoulders, hips, neck and back. At 58 years old I am only going to make it another year or so and then have to retire. Getting out of bed in the morning and being able to stand up is a challenge. By 2 in the afternoon I am cleaning up and going home because the body just can't take it anymore. Not to toot my own horn but......painting/paperhanging is the least appreciated of all the trades.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 year Self employed painting/ wallpaper contractor here. Used to love my job. However believe it or not, painting is not an easy job. The years of repetitive motion has taken its toll on both my shoulders, hips, neck and back. At 58 years old I am only going to make it another year or so and then have to retire. Getting out of bed in the morning and being able to stand up is a challenge. By 2 in the afternoon I am cleaning up and going home because the body just can't take it anymore. Not to toot my own horn but......painting/paperhanging is the least appreciated of all the trades.
My dad owned a painting and sandblasting company when I was younger. I know how hard it is. Even with air compressors and all the big equipment, it is very hard work. Even paint brushes get heavy after 8 plus hours.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern wage labor is slavery reinvented. The whole monetary system is. Modern life is killing us at a faster pace than our brains and bodies can keep up with and I feel that our systems will collapse in the coming decades.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a software engineer and a gamer. Used to work for a gaming company, now working on one of the cloud platform. I always love my jobs.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my job! I have worked my rear end off to eventually get to where I want to be. Having worked in horticulture for 25 years I decided to jump in with both feet and buy my own garden centre in 2017. It has been the single hardest thing I have ever done especially this year but I just love it. We look after our staff very well, pay people for hard work and have broken the mould for the Industry having been treated poorly in the past and learning what not to do. We have created an environment that staff and customers love and it’s just a really nice place to be.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love my career until my niche meant managing big money developments, high stress projects, whiter/gray hair at 43, high blood pressure medicine that doesn't work, cut throat environments that you have to cut throats to survive let alone thrive and it bothers you as its really hard to have those kind of conversations with your family that doesn't get it or you when your trying to explain it or yourself when trying to make it to the top that only sharks survive.
Really hard trying to rationalize yourself as a shark where everyone trying to eat you in this day and ages.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my job I build classic boats I get to see the sea everyday which is a must I couldn't imagine not being near the sea after being born in London and hating the city I moved south to Hampshire to the countryside to follow my dreams of countryside sea and boats

abw75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optical R&D senior designer for high end applications (many LED based) and really like my job, not always the enviroment (read people) thou;

Randallh99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not of lot of finance people responding. I work at a big bank. When I tell people this they usually ask me if I’m a teller or a mortgage banker. There are so many different jobs in a bank and I do one of the fun ones.

I’m an Entertainment banker which means that I finance film/tv (and to a lesser extent, talent agencies and music publishing). I travel a lot to festivals and Expos (Sundance, CES, SXSW, Cannes, Toronto Film Festival, etc). I think I enjoyed the job a lot more when I was younger. Everything is tedious now, including the travel. The clients for the most part are great. Working at a big bank does get worse every year. The expectations are higher EVERY year and there’s constant cost cutting. Still it’s not a bad job and I shouldn’t really be complaining.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy what I do, factory technician making interior finishing products, but my employer leaves A LOT to be desired. Managers these days are about as dumb as they come.

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder coater for a large manufacturing company painting parts for cranes/lifts and heavy equipment. I loved it for the longest time except for the twelve hour days/six days a week. Been there 15 years and now my body is shot so I don't paint anymore unless someone calls off. Keep being pushed towards management which I hate. If I wanted to be a manager I would of stayed with Kraft Foods but don't have much choice with the injuries. Of course they had to get robots to help paint after it was too late. :confused:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage a front desk at a hotel, and as a second job, I am a front desk clerk. I absolutely love my job. I get to help people from all over the world to enjoy what is for many, a once in a lifetime vacation. My personal favorite thing to have happen is get a person who is extra cranky and stressed make them laugh and be happy. I understand, vacations are stressful. Especially since we are 5 hours from any and everything. Travelling is hard, and people want everything to be perfect on vacation, yet it seldomly is. Being able to help people on a daily basis makes me happy. I have worked all kinds of jobs, IT tech in the 90s, fast food, bartending, serving, and many more. I have made tons of money and bought whatever I wanted and travelled all over the place, but I hated those jobs. I make less now, hence the two jobs, but I love coming into work. It is sometimes less stressful than my reef tank.
What's your job?
Why or why don't you love it?
What is your dream job?

You may meet me in a few years...I need some much needed time off fly fishing and travelling out West.

I got a job 24 years ago doing what I wanted to do, work at a state trout hatchery. I'm 51 and can retire in 2026....well if can afford it. I don't want to need to get a second job, I would just stay where I'm at until I turn 60.

Within the past few years we had my manager forced to retire due to reduction in force, made two other managers step in for partial duties until they could "officially" rehire someone due to need. Then a couple years after that we were given the "shut the facility down ploy" to save money and lay the staff off....except the new hire to maintain the grounds. Our budget got passed and we were still working last winter and through this year. We have to do some major work to comply to water quality standards or we'll hear about the shutdown again.

Recently our new manager has really been putting a lot more work on us, he has a new vision for the hatchery and seems to want to implement all the new protocols within his first 5 years of employment.

The fun of going to work, feeding the fish, cleaning raceways, maybe mowing the lawn or talking to visitors has evolved to massive data collection in every aspect of our job, writing SOP's for everything, more computer training, effective time management, never ending lists of duties. It's not that I don't want to implement the new things, but it takes time which we generally don't have. I'm in the twilight of my career and he is in the dawn.

Also I have over 2000 hours of sick time...rarely take a sick day....and have about 2 months worth of vacation time on the books, I cap at 360 hours annual leave and get about 4 weeks worth of hours a year which I barely use on top of holidays and other leave time.

The wife and I had planned two cool vacations this past year which we cancelled, we are hoping things get better by winter and we want to go south to Key West and possibly drive out to Utah or Arizona.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greggo: We’re talking to the number one cop in Dallas, the #1 cop, the commissioner, chief of police, David Kunkle.

What umm, do you like this gig?

Kunkle: No. I, I, uh, uh, uh love my job. It’s a. .. .

Greggo: I the, that wasn’t the question. Do you…do do do you like your job?

Kunkle: No, I said, do i love, maybe i didn’t understand the question.

Greggo: Ok. I, I mean do you like being chief of police.

Long live Greggo!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top picture is me installing lights to light up the top of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan. It was 17 degrees that day and that is snow covered Central Park below me.

The bottom picture is me (on the left) CAD welding a large ground cable on a residential garbage incinerator for New York City. I was the General Foreman and it took me 2 years to re build the dump, I mean place.
The maggots were ankle deep on the first floor of the place. And the aroma was just wonderful. ;Yuck

Whats not to like?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top picture is me installing lights to light up the top of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan. It was 17 degrees that day and that is snow covered Central Park below me.

The bottom picture is me (on the left) CAD welding a large ground cable on a residential garbage incinerator for New York City. I was the General Foreman and it took me 2 years to re build the dump, I mean place.
The maggots were ankle deep on the first floor of the place. And the aroma was just wonderful. ;Yuck

Whats not to like?

I know you brought those maggots home to feed the fish, right?

Speaking of maggots, I'm employed as an Environmental Scientist for the State. I heard a story about a kid who's father worked for CalTrans. Kid was bragging to his friends that his dad was faster than Superman. "He worked everyday until 4:30 but always got home by 3:00!"

We are now working at home because of COmorbidity or something like that? My wife can't wait for me to be back to the office. (Small world, She is a former supermodel too!)
Turned out to be a bad model year and the age is really showing.

I've got to go back to work now. Have a great day!

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love it building hi roses in the city every couple of months it was a new project. But as I get older the steel seems heavier and dealing with non union trying to take over sucks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back