Do you QT Battle Corals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dhogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, those who have ordered, what you do when your BC corals arrive? Do you dip? Do you QT?

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp acclimate for 5 min. Add frag to display. Throw away water and bag.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ordered one Battle Box, but to answer your question, I did not. I temp acclimated them and give them a quick rinse/shake off in a bowl of tank water and into the display they went.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temp acclimate then dip, no QT, never had a pest issue once. Adam's stuff is pristine.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip only because I promised myself I would dip everything that goes in my tank. Never had anything come off and probably don’t need to with Adams corals.

titlowda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything. I have placed 10 total coral orders in two months and do not want to risk anything due to skipping a 15 minute step

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that out of most of the vendors, I'd put most faith in Battlecorals and a couple others not to have pests. But no dip sounds insane to me. I know most are promoting Adam because he is a good guy and sells great corals and nothing like the confidence enough in someone not to dip, but I dip everything so endorsements like this seem wild to me.

The frags could come directly from Sanjay or Paletta and I would dip as well. Heck, if they came from myself I'd dip them too! [emoji23] What's the harm, its like a 5-10 minute process while you're acclimating anyway.

I'm not knocking the endorsements, because honestly if I wasn't going to dip, I'd feel pretty safe with Adam's corals. [emoji4]

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least for acros, Bayer has a good history of success. I've used it for 6 years now.

Pros:
-stuns AEFW
-cheap
-kills almost everything
-doesn't kill AEFW, red bugs, or vermitiid snails (a nuclear blast couldn't kill these guys either so I won't knock on its inability to do so)
-relatively harmless for acros. I can dose until its milky white and I can't see the acros and they are still fine... Exception being acropora surhasoni in my experience.

Cons:
-only stuns AEFW, so you have to give all frags a good shake in the water to dislodge any. When returned to water without Bayer, the larger ones will start recovering and start cruising again.
-I've seen red bugs survive Bayer. That's when Interceptor dipping is your friend.
-its a pesticide, so caution is required for your own safety and that of your tank. Wear gloves please!
-requires 2 to 3 rinses to make sure no Bayer gets into your display or it'll nuke your pod population.
-requires you to remove all base rock from frag/colonies as you don't want Bayer absorbing into the rock and leaching it out in the tank.

I've used potassium chloride more lately, almost exclusively these days. You can buy it as water softener pellets at a hardware store. The big bag is essentially a lifetime supply for most folks. The premise is raising your potassium level in the water from the usual 400 ppm to 1600 ppm for a short period of time, killing everything.

Pros:
-kills everything... I mean everything! (Exception being nuclear explosion-proof vermatiid snails)
-did I mention it kills everything?
-cheaper then even Bayer!
-not a pesticide, though you still might want to wear gloves... Leaving it on your skin too long can burn.
-easy clean up since not a pesticide
-only rinse once since its just higher potassium, not a pesticide

Cons:
-harsher on acros... You'll see mesenterial filaments and sliming on most acros
-crushing the larger pellets to dissolve is never fun but the smaller pieces dissolve pretty quickly
-can burn a bit if your hand is in the solution too long but a general stick your hand in to move the corals to a rinse bucket is no big deal

Here's an old thread I started on dipping which gives instructions on my 3 go-to dips. Again, I mainly just use potassium chloride these days for my acro dip and only use Bayer or Interceptor when needed. Also, this is for acro dipping. I haven't tried for LPS or softies since I only keep acros so don't try it and curse my name for killing your LPS and softies. [emoji4]

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triple-dip-combo.224494/

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip when you dip, when you dip you're going to dip
Adam dips, you dip, we dip! Multiple lines of defense.
9cc1672925de12ae98306f44bd7583fe.jpg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would agree that out of most of the vendors, I'd put most faith in Battlecorals and a couple others not to have pests. But no dip sounds insane to me. I'm know most are promoting Adam because he is a good guy and sells great corals and nothing like the confidence enough in someone not to dip, but I dip everything so endorsements like this seem wild to me.

The frags could come directly from Sanjay or Paletta and I would dip as well. Heck, if they came from myself I'd dip them too! [emoji23] What's the harm, its like a 5-10 minute process while you're acclimating anyway.

I'm not knocking the endorsements, because honestly if I wasn't going to dip, I'd feel pretty safe with Adam's corals. [emoji4]

I agree. One of the reasons I feel I have had success keeping pests out of my systems is because i employ a very literal "NO EXCEPTIONS" rule, and I always strongly encourage anyone that asks me about weather they should dip or not to do the same, If anything just for practice. And to establish a routine.

I have personally been trying to move away from Bayer for a long time, and have been using the polyp lab dip called primer for a while. It's clear, which I like a lot. I know it kills flatworms, and its proven to be safe on sps at dosages strong enough to kill worms. However I am still doing a double dip. 15 min in primer and another 15-20 in bayer. If anything just for good measure. But I truly believe that i will eventually quit the bayer all together.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy could one use the dietary supplement version of potassium chloride as a dip? Just thinking for a more manageable supply/storage.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back