Do You Run Carbon 24/7 or Never?

Well, do you run carbon?

• 24/7 - 365 Days a year

Votes: 139 69.5%
  • Never

Votes: 22 11.0%
  • Only when possible contamination has been added, and removed afterwards

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • Other? (please explain in the comments)

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I saw a post on R2R that started me down a rabbit hole I didn't even know existed. As someone who has always run a "high quality" carbon in their filtration I never thought twice about it.

However, it appears there is quite the debate on running a carbon source in an aquarium. After all this reading I am no closer to a real answer it seems.

So, as the title says, do you run carbon? if so, how frequently?

Do you think carbon is evil? unnecessary? explain why below

I'm curious to see what the answers are

Screenshot_2020-10-14 Boyd Chemi-Pure Filter Media, 5-oz jar - Chewy com.png

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run it when something drastic like a nem dies in the tank. I haven't documented usage so I can't say if running it long term in a tank just because is beneficial or not.

In a softie tank I could see it being useful as they can do a little warfare and its good to keep those nasties out of the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Votes are pretty split in the poll still. Anyone who does run carbon 24/7 want to chime in?

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my carbon out. I firmly believe it was what was giving my clownfish HLLE. Once I removed it, the holes healed up within a couple of months and haven't come back. Activated carbon is known for being a cause of HLLE.
This is the disease(?)/affliction that started my reading on carbon. But I quickly found larger forums on here stating carbon has no direct link to HLLE and it is most likely a diet/nutritional issue causing it. But there are plenty who say the opposite as well it seems - wish there was more research on these two

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the disease(?)/affliction that started my reading on carbon. But I quickly found larger forums on here stating carbon has no direct link to HLLE and it is most likely a diet/nutritional issue causing it. But there are plenty who say the opposite as well it seems

Taking it out worked for me so I'm only speaking of my experience. Individual results may vary. The fish are still being fed the exact same food today as back when I was still using carbon.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in between. Whenever my tank does not have that crisp crystal clear water look I add carbon to reduce tannins. It definitely polishes the water!

I used to run 24/7 and never had any issues with my fish getting hole in the head. I always rinse it. I definitely believe that it helps with chemical warfare between softies.

The only reason that I do not run 24/7 is that my sump is now in the basement and changing it is more of a hassle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in between. Whenever my tank does not have that crisp crystal clear water look I add carbon to reduce tannins. It definitely polishes the water!

I used to run 24/7 and never had any issues with my fish getting hole in the head. I always rinse it. I definitely believe that it helps with chemical warfare between softies.

The only reason that I do not run 24/7 is that my sump is now in the basement and changing it is more of a hassle.
That’s the second time someone has mentioned coral chemicals as well!
Have you noticed any difference at all since not using it as frequently other than water clarity?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

From what I've read, it's the carbon dust that causes the HLLE in saltwater fish and tangs moreso than anything else. I also think cheaper brands of carbon have more dust in them. I was using the Fluval Aquaclear carbon bags and no matter how many times I would rinse them it always seemed like dust would flow into the tank when I added it to the filter.

I haven't used carbon for the last 6 months and everything seems fine...although my water is a little more yellow than I would like.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I'll chime in with 24/7. I use BRS ROX 0.8 GAG 24/7 through a reactor. I have for the past 4 years and have never encountered HLLE even with my 3 tangs. I rinse it well before introducing it to the sump and change it out about once a month even though I know it loses a lot of it's effectiveness fairly quickly. I definitely can't say that this is the way to go, but it has worked for me up to this point. No reason to change now.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I'll chime in with 24/7. I use BRS ROX 0.8 GAG 24/7 through a reactor. I have for the past 4 years and have never encountered HLLE even with my 3 tangs. I rinse it well before introducing it to the sump and change it out about once a month even though I know it loses a lot of it's effectiveness fairly quickly. I definitely can't say that this is the way to go, but it has worked for me up to this point. No reason to change now.
Hi there! So I just emailed @Jay Hemdal about the subject before seeing this thread. He advised never to put carbon in a reactor and he will post more on the subject soon. Copying him so he can advise why not.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! So I just emailed @Jay Hemdal about the subject before seeing this thread. He advised never to put carbon in a reactor and he will post more on the subject soon. Copying him so he can advise why not.
Wow! Never heard that before. Looking forward to learning something new before taking the reactor offline. Now I'm a little bit worried.

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad someone (especially Jay) has been investigating these topics. I look forward to his write up. Sounds promising.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the disease(?)/affliction that started my reading on carbon. But I quickly found larger forums on here stating carbon has no direct link to HLLE and it is most likely a diet/nutritional issue causing it. But there are plenty who say the opposite as well it seems - wish there was more research on these two
Oh - my favorite topic! There is proven causation between carbon use and HLLE, especially dusty lignite carbon. I’ll go through my published material this weekend and see what I have that I can post here without posing a contractual issue...
Jay

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - my favorite topic! There is proven causation between carbon use and HLLE, especially dusty lignite carbon. I’ll go through my published material this weekend and see what I have that I can post here without posing a contractual issue...
Jay
@Auquanut has been putting carbon in his reactor. Why did you advise not to do it that way?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Never heard that before. Looking forward to learning something new before taking the reactor offline. Now I'm a little bit worried.
That Carbon is one of the super premium ones, I didn’t test it myself, but I’ve heard that it has NOT caused issues for other people, so I wouldn’t worry....
Jay

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I’m curious, if you had to give a general recommendation on carbon use (frequency etc, or not at all possibly) what would it be?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are incredibly particular about your tank and what gets in it you would be absolutely crazy not to run carbon.

I apologize but isn't this a place where we should be helping people (new hobbyists in particular) to prevent major disturbances in a tank that can happen unknowingly to them?

Carbon is proven since before many of us were in the hobby, I have used it for 20+ years, my fish, corals, and inverts have lived for a very long time, often far beyond what their "life span" is in captivity.

Let's leave the small nuisances aside and be realistic, carbon is one heck of a product that we should be very thankful for.

With that being said, it is important to buy quality carbon, and not go the cheap route here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back