Do you think we have gone too far with clownfish breeding?

Have we gone too far in search of new types of Clownfish?

• Total voters

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural evolution and humans breeding fish for cool colouring are two VERY different things.

Inbreeding to produce a pure breed could very well be looked at as for aesthetic reasons. Pure bred dog's are often judged by there colouring, height, tails, ears, etc as they relate to what proper pure bred features they are supposed to have and this can effect there price.
What I'm saying about the dogs is that they aren't bred for a certain look that causes hip dysplasia, or a look that causes cancer, it's just a co-occurrence that resulted from lack of genetic diversity and an inability to identify the issue before they were introduced into the breeding population.

If they bred a clownfish for long fins then we found out that they have half the life span of a wild type clownfish and the fins degraded to the point that they could not swim in a zero flow environment which is exactly what happens to pure bred dog's that have half the expect life span of mix breeds and spend the last few years of life bed ridden it would be another story.

The only difference between human selection and natural selection is that humans have the ability to show compassion. We can seperate the animals rather than just simply killing them like the environment. We can try to avoid or mitigate Co-occuring traits by introducing some genetic variability. Natural selection doesn't do this, it just kills and whatever is left passes on its genes. These genes aren't always the best. Peacocks aren't the most fit birds, they just have an easy life where sex appeal matters more than fitness. These clownfish have the same, just instead of being attractive to each other, they're attractive to us.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference between human selection and natural selection is that humans have the ability to show compassion.

Please explain to me the compassionate side of breeding a fish knowing full well it will have impaired vision?

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain to me the compassionate side of breeding a fish knowing full well it will have impaired vision?

Not only do fish not suffer, since we know this from studies that have been done (they don't have neural components necessary to feel pain/suffer), but why do they need good vision. Of course they do in the ocean, but in a home aquarium? Even if they could suffer, I would still argue that impaired vision would not impact the quality of their life. I used the example of the blind cave fish for this reason. There's no advantage to them being blind, it's just not necessary to see so the traits for good vision were never selected for. Or even consider moles, higher order animals that certainly can suffer. I don't think they're suffering from their blindness because they don't need vision to survive.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only do fish not suffer, since we know this from studies that have been done (they don't have neural components necessary to feel pain/suffer), but why do they need good vision. Of course they do in the ocean, but in a home aquarium? Even if they could suffer, I would still argue that impaired vision would not impact the quality of their life. I used the example of the blind cave fish for this reason. There's no advantage to them being blind, it's just not necessary to see so the traits for good vision were never selected for. Or even consider moles, higher order animals that certainly can suffer. I don't think they're suffering from their blindness because they don't need vision to survive.

You can't equate a clownfish with a cave fish. Evolution clearly gave a clownfish sight for a reason and didn't give the cave fish sight for a reason. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one and I'm going to leave it at that.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please stop. You are now comparing animals that have evolved other heightened senses in environments where vision isn't useful.
A blind clownfish would be more correctly compared to a mole you have cut the nose off of. You have removed a sense it relys on but not replaced it with anything.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't equate a clownfish with a cave fish. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one and I'm going to leave it at that.
We can agree to disagree on it. I don't want to argue in a way that anybodys feeling are hurt. I'm just interested in the discussion of it, but I wouldn't be able to not equate it. I see my clownfish as very well treated and thriving..

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys clownfish are bred for HOME AQUARIUMS we can keep them longterm fine at home. Just don't keep certain ones in high flow tanks and don't release them.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop. You are now comparing animals that have evolved other heightened senses in environments where vision isn't useful.
A blind clownfish would be more correctly compared to a mole you have cut the nose off of. You have removed a sense it relys on but not replaced it with anything.

There's plenty of animals that don't replace one sense with another. You're making a lot of assumptions here about an animals desire to have senses affecting their well being and there's no evidence for that. Nothing needs to be substituted ever in nature. Animals either survive or they don't, nature doesn't cater to these desires that you've attributed to them.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this email the other day about ORAs new breed of clown fish "Zombie Clowns". Reading through this these new clowns look pretty cool, not something I would want myself but I could see the allure to them.

ora-zombie-clownfish-2-768x427.jpg

Upon further reading near the bottom of the article theres a little disclaimer stating that contrary to belief these fish aren't blind, but partially blind.

I don't know for sure if this is a byproduct of the particular type of breeding it takes to get this type of clowns or not. But I would think it's somewhat related.

So my question is, do you think we have gone too far trying to come up with new patterns of clowns? Have we gone so far as to accept breeding to the point of relatively disabled fish? What are your thoughts on this?
I have a fairly logical view on this topic, as far as I can tell, and it is that if the outcome limits the life expectancy or quality of the life for the organism it is inappropriate and should be perused further. So, while zombie clown may seem neat on the surface, the fact that they are bred knowing the outcome includes partial blindness is inexcusable in my opinion.

I would love to hear how breeders like ORA could stand behind this practice...

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I have a fairly logical view on this topic, as far as I can tell, and it is that if the outcome limits the life expectancy or quality of the life for the organism it is inappropriate and should be perused further. So, while zombie clown may seem neat on the surface, the fact that they are bred knowing the outcome includes partial blindness is inexcusable in my opinion.

I would love to hear how breeders like ORA could stand behind this practice...
Keep in mind that no where does ORA state they have any deformity or visual problems

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of animals that don't replace one sense with another. You're making a lot of assumptions here about an animals desire to have senses affecting their well being and there's no evidence for that. Nothing needs to be substituted ever in nature. Animals either survive or they don't, nature doesn't cater to these desires that you've attributed to them.
I am sorry. I dont get any sense of anything from this.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back