????DO YOUNGER REEFERS EVEN FOURM????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SpikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well great. Now I have to have my daughter set up an instagram account for me. Don’t want to miss anything.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! yep. exactly
I'm 30 and don't use social media (other than Reef2Reef) because I believe it to be one of the main causes of mental health issues around the world, but I'm going to have to create an instagram account now so I can see your posts.....Thanks...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm 30 and don't use social media (other than Reef2Reef) because I believe it to be one of the main causes of mental health issues around the world, but I'm going to have to create an instagram account now so I can see your posts.....Thanks...
Go for it. people are seeming to enjoy them so far:). and ive got a long list of ideas for more, so I won't be giving up on this anytime real soon. I mean im just getting warmed up. lol

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t imagine having to do reef research without the forums. Social media is ok for some quick questions and to show off or sell to locals.

I do like seeing your recent uptick on Instagram though!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see,nowadays people don't want to use forums for the intended purposes. People don't like to use the search function like it was meant to be used lol.

I joined NanoReef 12-13yrs ago and literally had no choice but to learn. I feel like people (all ages who get into this hobby) just jump on social media and see this glorius tank and what that instantly not knowing that it takes YEARS and patience to get to that level.

There is just so much useful info on these forums most people will never know is there because they are just lazy,I hate to see it. But yhe younger generation literally want everything handed to them. I see it literally every day at work,and it translate to reefing too.

This forum is by far the most active forum in the country,I don't think R2R is going anywhere any time soon.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see,nowadays people don't want to use forums for the intended purposes. People don't like to use the search function like it was meant to be used lol.

I joined NanoReef 12-13yrs ago and literally had no choice but to learn. I feel like people (all ages who get into this hobby) just jump on social media and see this glorius tank and what that instantly not knowing that it takes YEARS and patience to get to that level.

There is just so much useful info on these forums most people will never know is there because they are just lazy,I hate to see it. But yhe younger generation literally want everything handed to them. I see it literally every day at work,and it translate to reefing too.

This forum is by far the most active forum in the country,I don't think R2R is going anywhere any time soon.

Lol, someone's showing their age with "the youths these days are terrible!" comments. Its funny because this style comment has been made by older generations for hundreds if not thousands or tens of thousands of years (probably since early civilization).

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, someone's showing their age XD

I made that statement because they want to be spoon fed EVERYTHING,when it comes to ANYTHING.

They don't want to go thru the trials and tribulations to become successful at whatever venture it is.

And with all these influencers on social media platforms they see all this glitz and glam and think its an overnight success story.

When the truth of the matter is,they are fed this ludacris stuff from social media.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made that statement because they want to be spoon fed EVERYTHING,when it comes to ANYTHING.

They don't want to go thru the trials and tribulations to become successful at whatever venture it is.

And with all these influencers on social media platforms they see all this glitz and glam and think its an overnight success story.

When the truth of the matter is,they are fed this ludacris stuff from social media.
I'm with you on that Steve. Lost I think, is the thrill of seeking out answers to the questions, or just crap we want to learn about. lol. Part of the fun for me back in the early days of reef central, (Maybe 04 ish for me) was trying to figure out who to really listen to, and who was essentially full of "you know what."

And then, paying a lot more attention to what the former people had to say throughout the forum. I probably learned more the first few years that way, then I ever learned anything ever, now that I think about it. I mean I was a sponge in every sense of the word. But I did have to work a little for it.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started about 18 years ago on reefcentral. I became obsessed with the search function, which at the time was very buggy and couldn’t be used during peak hours.

I believe once the obsession takes hold, any place with good information will become viable, if you are young or old. If YouTube and BRS videos existed when I was learning, I would have watched them. If instagram feeds existed, I would have followed them. This obviously only applies to the truly obsessed.

I don’t see social media as dominating the forum, it’s just that the forum no longer holds ALL the information the way it use to.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out what "Younger Reefer" mean ...
I'm young at heart, does that count?
Fart noises still makes me giggle ...

Also ... I want to be in my 20s again. Mostly so my body doesn't hurt when rain is coming.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out what "Younger Reefer" mean ...
I'm young at heart, does that count?
Fart noises still makes me giggle ...

Also ... I want to be in my 20s again. Mostly so my body doesn't hurt when rain is coming.
I hear you there. I am mostly referring to the phone in face every second of their lives crowd, that do not know a world where this type of existence did not occur.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many forums have sadly disappeared or are just not very active anymore due to facebook groups.
I prefer the forums for several reasons, but I can see the appeal of social media for the instant gratification.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So many forums have sadly disappeared or are just not very active anymore due to facebook groups.
I prefer the forums for several reasons, but I can see the appeal of social media for the instant gratification.
righty I completely get the attraction to these sorts of "resources". watching my own kids glued to their phones reinforces this daily. lol

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, i dont really use social media cause i dont know anybody irl that uses it either. i just use r2r cause its nice. a lot of peopel use stuff like reddit. i think most people use social media cause the algorithms will just spoon feed them stuff

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hardcore reefers will find any resource that helps them eventually, might be young or not when it happens, I started looking at wetwebmedia FAQs when I started reefing at 21.

today tho what is for sure is that IG and other social media is an advertising tool and not leveraging it certainly results in a loss of some “would be” customers. I really think it’s a different form of advertisement tho and requires long term strat to work, not just whimsical posts.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it has nothing to do with the internet or forums I wonder how many young people are even getting in the hobby at all. With how expensive everything has gotten over the past 5 years I dunno if I ever would have started reefing if it cost then, as much as it does now to start out.
a lot of younger people (and even middle aged and older people these days) don’t have a lot of expendable income and reefs are crazy expensive, especially the up front costs.
Yeah idk the start up cost are insane, even a small 40gal tank is 3-4k to run. Plus finding the space. I don’t really know how folks earning less than 100k afford it.

Really think that for young reefers Nano tanks are the gateway drug. If you want to capture new converts that’s where you find them.

The problem is that they aren’t really the buyer you want. 50 year old retired dude buys 10x the coral. Nano tanks don’t have the room or stability for sps.

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd say the bigger disconnect is communication between generations of reefers. While they are most definitely reading the forums, younger reefers aren't going to want to contribute to forums/threads where they're immediately vilified. You unfortunately find this mentality a lot more than you'd hope to in online forums and even on social media. With that said, I think the question is - how do you attract younger generations of reefers to be more active in forums? An easy first step would be to welcome them into the forums with open arms, not disparage them from the outset.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back