Documenting my fight with Dino's

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that based on taricha's I'd guide, I think they are Amphidinium small cell

In one of your first vids, I feel like I saw large ones in addition to the small ones. The large ones looked like they had the hooked beaks of large cell amphidinium. But really hard to tell.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another video

In this video, at the very beginning there is a much larger dino...that one looks like large cell amphidinium. The smaller ones ? May not even be dinos.

What are the long strands that are moving

I agree with Scott..see them on almost every slide. I call them marine worms and suspect they may be a larval form but I don't know. Isn't it fun looking at this stuff under the microscope?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the I'd guide that someone posted, one of the types of dino it said with nematode. I looked up nematode, and I think that's what it is. Glad to hear you guys say it's normal though. I was a little worried

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what you guys are saying about big and small. If I had to quantify what I saw, I'd say like 80-90% were the small ones. I posted what I had in the nuisance algae threat like advised

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large cell stay mainly in the sand and are difficult to zap with UV. Small cell will swim in the water column and get zapped.

Got a 57 watt UV laying around by chance? If not, you can look for used, but buy a new bulb. They are only good for a year of use.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have one laying around. But I think I am going to buy one now. Not sure if I should just buy a cheap jaebo, or invest in a good one from BRS.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a better picture

20200328_163058.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have one laying around. But I think I am going to buy one now. Not sure if I should just buy a cheap jaebo, or invest in a good one from BRS.

I use/like my AquaUV unit but they do cost a pretty penny new. Maybe buy used and order a new bulb. I've seen plenty of bashing on the Jaebo, but it could've been on their smaller units, not sure. The biggest mistake people make is forgetting to shut off the lamp when the pump is not running and burning them up.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use/like my AquaUV unit but they do cost a pretty penny new. Maybe buy used and order a new bulb. I've seen plenty of bashing on the Jaebo, but it could've been on their smaller units, not sure. The biggest mistake people make is forgetting to shut off the lamp when the pump is not running and burning them up.

I was kind of leaning towards a better one from BRS. They sell aquauv and pentair.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These may be better

Screenshot_20200328-171233_Gallery.jpg 20200328_171315.jpg
I haven’t seen the videos. But it sounds like you are dealing with amphidinium. The really fast things that have been described may or may not be dinos. And if they are dinos, these really fast ones don’t seem to cause many problems. I had amphidinium in my tank. I did and still use UV. You will likely not see much of an improvement with UV, but I personally would still use It. The reason is that you likely have or will have multiple species, some of which will be eradicated by UV. A good UV is very expensive as you know. So you may or may not want to go that route, at least at first.

I did the increased nutrients thing for a long time, as well as silica dosing, and the physical removal. My turn around was right after I removed my sand. I didn’t want to remove it, so I waited as long as I could stand. I still have a bare bottom tank after 14 months or so. I don’t like it. But dinos are not a problem in my tank.

I know some others like @saltyhog didn’t remove sand. But seemed to be more patient than me and included bacteria products as a tool, which I did not.

Either way, good luck to you. And let’s see if @taricha has any words of wisdom.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to mention that you seem to have a large diversity of microscopic stuff. I think your tank has a shot of just coming back on it’s own with time and nutrients.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great point! wrote a code in my Apex so that if the UV pump is off then the bulb is off. Also check the bulb to see if it needs to be cleaned every couple of months. Mine is mounted horizontally and I would think that would be more likely to allow stuff to settle out, especially with the low flow used for dinos.
UV sleeve.jpg

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point! wrote a code in my Apex so that if the UV pump is off then the bulb is off. Also check the bulb to see if it needs to be cleaned every couple of months. Mine is mounted horizontally and I would think that would be more likely to allow stuff to settle out, especially with the low flow used for dinos.
UV sleeve.jpg

The apex program is really smart. I thought that they recommend high flow for bacteria and algae (dinos) and slow flow for parasites?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex program is really smart. I thought that they recommend high flow for bacteria and algae (dinos) and slow flow for parasites?

That's probably what the directions on the units will say. If you read the experiences in the thread cited above it seems that contact time is important and the recommended flow rate is 1-3 x the total water volume. Unit plumbed from and back to the DT.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably what the directions on the units will say. If you read the experiences in the thread cited above it seems that contact time is important and the recommended flow rate is 1-3 x the total water volume. Unit plumbed from and back to the DT.

So I shouldn't plum it to and from my sump?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back