Does anyone know what this chalice is? Is it a chalice at all?

Chris Aceves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS told me it was a rainbow chalice. After looking it up it is definitely not a rainbow chalice. I'm calling it the mystery machine for multiple reasons. Does anyone know what this is?
20211204_133456.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a chalice. Rainbow is a generic name for something with more than a few colors. A named Rainbow Chalice like Atom Bomb, Motor City, Crazy Clown, etc. have lineage back to the original shop. Since it does not like have a name, Mystery Machine is as good as any... be sure and put your name in front of it... CA Mystery Machine.

I know that this is not helpful, so sorry. Perhaps the folks int he LPS forum can help more since not all SPS keepers are chalice experts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Aceves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a chalice. Rainbow is a generic name for something with more than a few colors. A named Rainbow Chalice like Atom Bomb, Motor City, Crazy Clown, etc. have lineage back to the original shop. Since it does not like have a name, Mystery Machine is as good as any... be sure and put your name in front of it... CA Mystery Machine.

I know that this is not helpful, so sorry. Perhaps the folks int he LPS forum can help more since not all SPS keepers are chalice experts.
Hey thanks for the reply tho. I'll try the LPS community. Figured this was the best place to start. Where exactly would lable this the CA mystery machine?

Upvote 0

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What exactly tells you that it's not very happy?
not very fleshy or puffy, usually they have a thicker fleshy layer over the skeleton and its more smooth looking less pointy looking. also doesn't look that colorful or bright, which could be due to the thinner skin/flesh, cause thats where all the color is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Aceves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not very fleshy or puffy, usually they have a thicker fleshy layer over the skeleton and its more smooth looking less pointy looking. also doesn't look that colorful or bright, which could be due to the thinner skin/flesh, cause thats where all the color is.
Thank you for the heads up. This is my first run with any sort of chalice. It truly looked a lot worse when I picked it out at my LFS. The guy had it under really worn out T5s. I have it under a Kessil now and it brought out all the colors I didn't see at the store. I dont see any flesh peeling back or bleaching so it must be doing ok right now

Upvote 0

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just don't hit it with too much PAR, they are a pretty low light coral. in general hardy and tolerant of a pretty wide range of lighting, just no too strong.
Thank you for the heads up. This is my first run with any sort of chalice. It truly looked a lot worse when I picked it out at my LFS. The guy had it under really worn out T5s. I have it under a Kessil now and it brought out all the colors I didn't see at the store. I dont see any flesh peeling back or bleaching so it must be doing ok right now
Also if its from and LFS its probably not a "named" chalice. there are an amazing variety color variations of chalice and most don't have names

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Aceves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said it came from one of his customers. I was eyeing it for a couple of weeks. My LFS owner has gotten really lazy in the past few years and it's really depressing. Been there pretty much my whole life and I'm in my 30s. I'll move it to a darker spot this weekend. Gotta add some more rock. Thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back