Does anyone know what this is?

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have previously battled with diatoms, I then battled with the below (first pic) - it was suggested to just scrub the rock so I did and it was fine..

But, as you can see in the second photo, I have to deal with this once a week? Not sure what it is so no idea how to treat it... I have just been removing it from the tank when I do a water change

When testing water, there are no issues..

4CED65C6-2180-4E47-A43D-C9404E2C936B.jpeg
BB2B9E4E-8903-4404-84D5-D47936681FC8.jpeg

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, my wife had something similar absolutely blow up in her little freshwater aquarium.

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
On another note, get a UV killing thing, and run it with tank "COMPLETE" black out for a week. I think dosing some hydrosomething.

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have previously battled with diatoms, I then battled with the below (first pic) - it was suggested to just scrub the rock so I did and it was fine..

But, as you can see in the second photo, I have to deal with this once a week? Not sure what it is so no idea how to treat it... I have just been removing it from the tank when I do a water change

When testing water, there are no issues..

4CED65C6-2180-4E47-A43D-C9404E2C936B.jpeg
BB2B9E4E-8903-4404-84D5-D47936681FC8.jpeg
looks like cyanobacteria. I'm no pro on the subject although I fought it in the past, so here's a bump for you.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was cyano myself tbh... when I remove it from the sand it follows the same characteristics as that on other peoples videos (breaking down etc)

However, due to the air bubbles being present, is it safe to presume that it is Dino?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano. Typical red and green.

The air bubbles trapped in it are just that. Dino's are typically brown and "snotty"(for lack of a better term) looking. Dino's look more like mucus from your nose when your sick.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano. Typical red and green.

The air bubbles trapped in it are just that. Dino's are typically brown and "snotty"(for lack of a better term) looking. Dino's look more like mucus from your nose when your sick.
Thanks for your reply!

How would you suggest treating? I have seen a mix of people using snails or chemicals?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
know what your nitrate and phosphate readings are? Vacuum your sanbed to clean up the dead material rotting in it?

Chemiclean will clean it up, but if you don't fix the underlying issue, it will just return after the treatment.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add, that after manual removal again on Sunday, this is all that has come back (first photo, looks almost black with hints of purple) - is this it on its way out?

There is also some green hair algae present on a rock (very very short) and then what looks like purple hair algae on another. Not sure if this helps

I have also attached a photo of my caulerpa which seems to be overridden with the purple hair algae - could this be the cause of my problem?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
know what your nitrate and phosphate readings are? Vacuum your sanbed to clean up the dead material rotting in it?

Chemiclean will clean it up, but if you don't fix the underlying issue, it will just return after the treatment.
I will test again after work and let you know... I did have a problem with phosphate which caused diatoms but that was solved using phosguard in my media basket

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think vacuuming sand bed, chemiclean and removing the caulerpa all together is what I will do? Will also add dose with nitrifying bacteria

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will test again after work and let you know... I did have a problem with phosphate which caused diatoms but that was solved using phosguard in my media basket
Diatoms are created by silicates, not phosphates. Phosguard did not clean it up, it probably burned out on thier own as they do in new tanks. Silicates are found in "new" sand, and until the silicates are burned out, diatoms show up.

As hair algae dies off, cyano will cover it to suck out the nutrients to feed itself. Typically why when you see dieing hair algae, it's covered in cyano.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are created by silicates, not phosphates. Phosguard did not clean it up, it probably burned out on thier own as they do in new tanks. Silicates are found in "new" sand, and until the silicates are burned out, diatoms show up.

As hair algae dies off, cyano will cover it to suck out the nutrients to feed itself. Typically why when you see dieing hair algae, it's covered in cyano.
Thank you for your help
Will follow the above treatment and post with updates

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would do nothing until I took a reading of NO3, and Po4. If these are out of wack(way beyond what the redfield ratio (10 to 1 nitrate to phosphates), cyano will flourish.

Get NO3 and Po4 in line with the redfield ratio and I find cyano pretty much stays at bay. Of course if your sandbed is gross, then the redfield ratio means nothing as the cyano will feed off the nutrients in the sandbed.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would do nothing until I took a reading of NO3, and Po4. If these are out of wack(way beyond what the redfield ratio (10 to 1 nitrate to phosphates), cyano will flourish.

Get NO3 and Po4 in line with the redfield ratio and I find cyano pretty much stays at bay. Of course if your sandbed is gross, then the redfield ratio means nothing as the cyano will feed off the nutrients in the sandbed.
Okay ta

I will test nitrates later - will have to do phosphates Thursday as waiting on refill test kit to be delivered

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Results are in;

Nitrate 0
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Phosphate result photo attached, I think it’s 0?

There is currently significantly less cyano on the sand bed compared to this time last week, could it be the case that the phosphate levels have dropped?

I am running a Fluval Sea Evo 52L. Just over a week ago I swapped out the standard filter sponge and media to a media basket containing filter floss, phosguard and clear fx pro (advanced all in one filter media). Realised I hadn’t included this...

Attachments

• F8F9D47E-6D3A-44E7-A3BB-D80E9C90F05C.jpeg
    F8F9D47E-6D3A-44E7-A3BB-D80E9C90F05C.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 33

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back