Does Higher par mean you should run higher nutrients?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underfeeding can be a huge problem. Most folks who have seen their no3 and po4 rise and think that this helped their corals don't often realize that it was the increase in food and available nitrogen and phosphorous that mattered and not the numbers that accumulated on the back end. If these same folks kept feeding just as much and exported a bit more, then they would have likely had even better success, IMO.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a good pic. Walt Disney May 17, and then today august 23. Total of 98 days.. is this good growth ?

Attachments

• IMG_6842.jpeg
    IMG_6842.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6843.jpeg
    IMG_6843.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August 22 versus today

Attachments

• IMG_6827.jpeg
    IMG_6827.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 73
  • E0A6D79B-F97B-4267-9861-EB72A94398E8.jpeg
    E0A6D79B-F97B-4267-9861-EB72A94398E8.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 70

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 1000x! I don't think people quite understand how important it is to feed your fish frequently throughout the day, this constant dose of food for fish (and corals) will do wonders for the whole system. When you feed smaller meals throughout the day, all of the food is consumed, then the fish feed the corals through their waste. Quality food makes a difference.

Depending on the feeder, you don't even have to stick to pellets.

I use The Plank from Avast, loaded with their freeze-dried blend. To that, I add pellets and reef roids. Gets dosed every hour when lights are on, and once about an hour after lights-off. One of these days I'll set up a plankton autofeeder, too.

Of course, good export is essential when you're constantly adding stuff. I've found filter rollers an excellent addition to systems that auto-feed.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the feeder, you don't even have to stick to pellets.

I use The Plank from Avast, loaded with their freeze-dried blend. To that, I add pellets and reef roids. Gets dosed every hour when lights are on, and once about an hour after lights-off. One of these days I'll set up a plankton autofeeder, too.

Of course, good export is essential when you're constantly adding stuff. I've found filter rollers an excellent addition to systems that auto-feed.
Those roller filters are starting to look attractive. I don’t know if it’ll fit my waterbox sump… I don’t do water changes so I figure it’s needed so I can feed even more.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda - I’m starting to see better PE again. My nitrates are going down steadily with nopox, and I also added a circulation pump to my sump so no detritus sits in there. I also made the flow of things in my chambers of the sump more efficient.

Speaking of light - my radium’s 20k are about to become a year old in two months, so I am going to switch to the twin arc bulbs 10k from reefbrite this time around. I feel like the 10k spectrum will get me to where I want to be along with the increased food.

The Walt Disney is exhibiting more more PE the last couple of days.

I’ve been feeding:

No nori (I now use this as a treat every few days)
ESV dry phyto mixed with oyster feast 4-5x/week
Frozen twice a day to the fish (mix of rods, mysis and LRS all in one)
Pellets once a day, Aquaforest.

It feels like I’m feeding a lot but, the nitrates are dropping and I’m dosing the same amount of NOPOX as when I made this thread.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the choice to switch to a 10k bulb. You should see a difference in the first month i would bet. How long are you running your halides for each day?

Jda, love the advice your continuing to bring to this board. You lay things out very very well in each thread I get to read, not that I have been here much recently but still.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A high enough par value will stunt growth, which may be what you are seeing.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are plenty who advocate high light, high flow, high nutrients.

So, how is your flow? IME, flow is the hardest part to get right, and the needs of the corals constantly changes. In a high light, high nutrient tank (like mine), if I accidentally move a power head, whatever colony is no longer getting flow will start to really look bad within a few weeks.

I do work on keeping phosphates down, but, nitrates 20 to 40 seem to be no problem. At least, no value gained for me when I go to heroic efforts to get them down to 10 or lower.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the choice to switch to a 10k bulb. You should see a difference in the first month i would bet. How long are you running your halides for each day?

Jda, love the advice your continuing to bring to this board. You lay things out very very well in each thread I get to read, not that I have been here much recently but still.
I agree! I spent hours listening to videos on halides.

I currently run this schedule:

XHO led blue only - 11am on
Halides with led - 1pm to 7pm (6 hours on halides)
Xho blue led only - 7pm to 12am

The par is super low on the XHO and I run 4 strips, about 80 par at surface.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are plenty who advocate high light, high flow, high nutrients.

So, how is your flow? IME, flow is the hardest part to get right, and the needs of the corals constantly changes. In a high light, high nutrient tank (like mine), if I accidentally move a power head, whatever colony is no longer getting flow will start to really look bad within a few weeks.

I do work on keeping phosphates down, but, nitrates 20 to 40 seem to be no problem. At least, no value gained for me when I go to heroic efforts to get them down to 10 or lower.
Super high flow.

Two mp60s on reefcrest at 80% and 85%
Two op4 from octopus, run at 30-50%.

I also switch up my mp60s to gyre mode here and there.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, especially for the readers of this thread years down the road. I’m starting to see what I think is “explosive” sps growth. The bases are spreading significantly faster on my frags to the point where I’m seeing the bases expand overnight.

I have been feeding this tank so much, my nitrates even dropped… so did phosphates. Zero water changes, just a skimmer and nothing else not even GFO.

Nitrates currently 14 and po4 .09.

it’s working, feeding more. I also changed my halide spectrum from 20k to 10k just today.. I saw significant polyp extension increase at hour five of the 6 hour halide period. No idea what the par is on these bulbs but I’m assuming in the same 700-800 par range.

I lost one millie, it totally bleached (before I changed the bulbs) so I figure that’s just normal as nothing else is acting up. The garf bonsai I posted has encrusted even more.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halides will certainly grow them quick, especially in the 10k spectrum. I’ve got 400 watt Radiums over here.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, especially for the readers of this thread years down the road. I’m starting to see what I think is “explosive” sps growth. The bases are spreading significantly faster on my frags to the point where I’m seeing the bases expand overnight.

I have been feeding this tank so much, my nitrates even dropped… so did phosphates. Zero water changes, just a skimmer and nothing else not even GFO.

Nitrates currently 14 and po4 .09.

it’s working, feeding more. I also changed my halide spectrum from 20k to 10k just today.. I saw significant polyp extension increase at hour five of the 6 hour halide period. No idea what the par is on these bulbs but I’m assuming in the same 700-800 par range.

I lost one millie, it totally bleached (before I changed the bulbs) so I figure that’s just normal as nothing else is acting up. The garf bonsai I posted has encrusted even more.

Love hearing when people switch to halides and see this growth. The 10k should bring more true pinks blues and yellows too. Some don’t like the brownish hue some corals will show but in time they should grow out of that with new growth.
Love your puppy pic! We have two, one new akc puppy who is just adorable and one “rat dog” Dalmatian from a not so great breeder. Both me and my wife grew up with one so it was a no brainer for our dog choice. Plus we had to keep our spotted animal theme to match the cats.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love hearing when people switch to halides and see this growth. The 10k should bring more true pinks blues and yellows too. Some don’t like the brownish hue some corals will show but in time they should grow out of that with new growth.
Love your puppy pic! We have two, one new akc puppy who is just adorable and one “rat dog” Dalmatian from a not so great breeder. Both me and my wife grew up with one so it was a no brainer for our dog choice. Plus we had to keep our spotted animal theme to match the cats.
I love my dogs. I currently have a mini doodle and the Dalmatian.

The Dalmatian is incredibly sweet, loving, and LOVES being around anyone and everyone in the house. He’s my shadow, I wish I could have ten of them but my wife is allergic. He’s 8 now. My wife’s allergies have improved significantly as well.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new reefbrite twin arc 10ks are doing a great job. I’m seeing faster growth which I’m sure has mostly to do with my increase in feedings.

But -

Aptaisia popping up everywhere so in a few months I’m going to get a Copperband.

Two acros bleached slightly, but remain with PE and are still actively growing.

Zoas growing out of control. Literally giving away colonies locally.

Finally seeing my stagnant frags with more PE and growth I think the new spectrum is really helping kick things up a notch. Alk consumption increased, dipped to 6.7 in a week go figure.. increased my dosage and we are tracking 7.3 again, heading to 8 in a week or so.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth and improved PE continues. Every day I feel like I’m seeing a bit more growth. Colors are starting to get deeper, aptaisia is disappearing (got a model Copperband, but he likes clams on the veggie clips so just another extra step). My food routine remains the same - feeding a ton. The before and after pictures are looking better and better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back