• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of these which are the same coral as the paleeta pink tip stags have been coming in from Indo lately. would you call it a paletta pink tip stag?
IMG_9969.jpg

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, These guys are new wild pieces an d might morph after a few months. The paletta pink tip has been a proven piece that it will hold its color and stay alive.
But you could call it the steezy pink tip, and when the color holds you can add it to the list of great named pieces

bob

=SteezySPS;960862]a lot of these which are the same coral as the paleeta pink tip stags have been coming in from Indo lately. would you call it a paletta pink tip stag?
IMG_9969.jpg
[/QUOTE]

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it does, its not like your polyps will come with paperwork to make the value go up even more.

Actually, it might not come with paperwork, but if you can prove the lineage defintively the price can go up dramatically.

Lets take the soprano as an example. lineaged goes for a lot more than a wild piece. wait maybe i better not use the soprano as an example:boink:

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it does, its not like your polyps will come with paperwork to make the value go up even more.

Even a piece of paper is really nothing more then that, a piece of paper! I could have gotten AKC papers for my mixed breed dog, would that have made her more valuable.... Not to me, and really probably not to anyone else either. And yes, I get asked if she is a pure bred fairly often, so its not like the difference is overly noticable.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
I have pure bread labs, I didnt pay the extra $200 for papers does that mean he isnt a pure bread? my female I pd the extra for the papers because when I bread her I got more $$ for the pups

it all boils down to the almighty dollar
my male is a way better dog does it have anything to do with the papers no

with corals I would rather buy the ferri with the bad paint job for 1/4 the price of a ferri that just got buffed under neon lights

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Registration would not be fool proof. I could pay top dollar for the real thing with paperwork. Next week I could buy a cheap look alike and sell those frags as the real thing since I have the paperwork to copy and provide the buyer. Buying from people you trust is the answer. I don't buy high end corals but I can tell you where I got all the corals I have. If I bought it from someone in the club and you admire it, you can go get a frag from that person. If he or she doesn't have any frags available I'll cut you a piece of mine. Same for ones I've picked up out of town at frag swaps from hobbyists or vendors.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it matters. If I'm paying for it to be lineaged then I want lineaged. If I'm not paying for it to be lineaged then I don't care.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all of the post above mine, sorry, I don't have time nor do I feel as if they have any importance to me, I'm posting my take on this, and leaving it at that.

First off, no, I will strait up say that linage DOES NOT matter, for a multidue ot reasonings.

To get on my soap box, I'll start by saying that each coral comes from the ocean, there is no such thing as one of a kind. One thing that makes me so mad is when I see a vendor (not naming names) venture off and say "This is a one of a kind never see again piece". Awesome, great advertisment for the newbies, but for those of us who have been in this hobby, there is PLENTY more of the same thing in the ocean. PLENTY more. If the money is there, so is the coral, plain and simple. Of cource there was only one Barbie Bently that Paris Hilton had, now there are more when the money was put on the table for the same car. It's the same situation for the coral industry. I could walk into a wholesaler and if I deep enough pockets, I could pick up anything I wanted regardless.

Second, I have seen on the internet so many look alike corals and I haven't been able to tell the difference between some of them. I will not name the corals I've seen, but trust me, some of the industries TOP corals, yeah, those I've seen for VERY low prices and they look almost exactly the same, call BS on me, but I'm willing to provide links. (DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR CHEAP CORALS, I WILL NOT RESPOND).

Third, if it looks exactly the same and you can't tell the difference, what is the point in paying for linage? There isn't one, I know there are some, but they are quite frivolous.

There is a place for linage in some situations, the old classics, I would buywith linage just because they are older and its cool to know that it is legit, but with todays corals there is so many look alikes, it dosen't make a difference.

Thank you, good luck with spending money for those of you who love to buy corals with linage...

Off my soap box now.

Something like the purple monster is a classic, been around for a while now. Say the lineaged gets all corrupt on the Red Dragon, in 10 years, for the above reasons you posted. How would you know you're getting the real deal in 10 years if you wanted to track down this classic Red Dragon?

reefaddictx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can pay for linage but about a few months in your tank it could morph into a whole new coral. Its like people change and corals could change also. I could spend a hundred dollar on a tyree coral but within a few months and conditions and lighting change, so does your coral. Vendors could charge whatever they want. But for private sellers, There no way they could charge us the same price as vendors. Doesnt matter if they have a very stable tank. Street price cannot be the same as vendor price no matter how much you spend originally on a piece. Id pay more for vendors then id pay from someone who bought from a vendor and have the corals grow in their tank. I have two tyree original pink lemonade in two frags tanks plumbed together. I put one under leds and one under t5 with led and you can tell the t5s have a more deeper color but both are the same coral. Can i still charge the same price of full price for name colors under my conditions? Id say no. The only fair way to go by is charge half price or at least a 30% off of original price.

reefaddictx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially buying corals from forums and such. With the price of shipping and the full out outrageous asking price of so called linage corals. People out there are definitely over charging on corals they bought and raised. There's always going to be a money value of all corals but full paid price on a coral you grew out under your condition cannot be sold on a forum online at a high price. It does matter a little bit if he has good feed back, but doesnt mean he has the linage and could charge up on his corals. It only mean he good at shipping and you wouldn't receive a dead coral. Like stated in my above post. Its only fair for a person to sell a coral at 30% less then vender prices but selling the corals for same retail value is doing the hobby wrong and only trying to make money. Spend your money how you want and goodluck to anyone selling or doing so. I recently bought from someone on this forums with high feed back and bought a package deal of znp. The communication was horrible and he ended up sending me the wrong pack i wanted. Plus sent me a single polyp of darth maul and a frag of another high end zoa. Once i acclimated the corals and put into tank the high end zoa opened right up but the darth maul didnt open up at all. I called the seller asking whats going on and tried to get a DOA on that darth maul but he stated not all zoas with open up and might take days to weeks. So i let it by and in the end the polyp just disappeared. This came from a reputable seller on this forum with high feedback and with the DOA rules they so called claimed. Theres always a loop hole that benefits the seller. What could i have done? My tank was in good order and the znp i buy always opened up. The seller blamed it on my tank and that the zoa had linage. I lost out on money that i thought would be safe from a reputable seller with high feedback. That is why i say people that sell on forums overcharged on their corals and is ruining this hobby.

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially buying corals from forums and such. With the price of shipping and the full out outrageous asking price of so called linage corals. People out there are definitely over charging on corals they bought and raised. There's always going to be a money value of all corals but full paid price on a coral you grew out under your condition cannot be sold on a forum online at a high price. It does matter a little bit if he has good feed back, but doesnt mean he has the linage and could charge up on his corals. It only mean he good at shipping and you wouldn't receive a dead coral. Like stated in my above post. Its only fair for a person to sell a coral at 30% less then vender prices but selling the corals for same retail value is doing the hobby wrong and only trying to make money. Spend your money how you want and goodluck to anyone selling or doing so. I recently bought from someone on this forums with high feed back and bought a package deal of znp. The communication was horrible and he ended up sending me the wrong pack i wanted. Plus sent me a single polyp of darth maul and a frag of another high end zoa. Once i acclimated the corals and put into tank the high end zoa opened right up but the darth maul didnt open up at all. I called the seller asking whats going on and tried to get a DOA on that darth maul but he stated not all zoas with open up and might take days to weeks. So i let it by and in the end the polyp just disappeared. This came from a reputable seller on this forum with high feedback and with the DOA rules they so called claimed. Theres always a loop hole that benefits the seller. What could i have done? My tank was in good order and the znp i buy always opened up. The seller blamed it on my tank and that the zoa had linage. I lost out on money that i thought would be safe from a reputable seller with high feedback. That is why i say people that sell on forums overcharged on their corals and is ruining this hobby.
Good info, thanks for sharing.

landlord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a buyer and a seller I see it both ways for a seller it is important to be able to offer it out there if asked. For a buyer (especially off of internet pics, etc, it gives an opportunity to verify prior to purchase If you know and/or trust the chain of custody))

Kurt

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole lineaged coral with paperwork thing was tried on another forum here a few years ago. Don't know that they sold a single piece of actual documentation (which kind of shows you how much people are willing to pay for a piece of paper). The site eventually failed, in part because one of the founders, who was also a vendor, was using pictures of lineaged/named corals in order to sell wild collected corals, claiming his corals would eventually color up. Does lineage matter? Maybe yes, maybe no, however reputation and honesty in this game definitely do and if you are or have neither it will catch up to you sooner or later.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back