Does my fish have ich?

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my kole tang has white spots on his tail and most of his body and was wondering if he has ich. My clownfish looks like hes getting some too
9377cf9b91230bc9f38d0f1ba3f26126.jpg
c9bc24c1cc7c379efc9b4ac9612d49ec.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he a white spotted kole tang? Some of the spots on the body look to be very uniform and spaced out very well. The spots on the tail are so many that I'm actually thinking velvet, assuming the ones on the body are part of his coloring. He's also very thin. I have a few questions for you...

Was he QT'd? How long have you had him? When was the last addition added to the tank? Is he getting Nori daily? Is he still eating anything at all at this point? Can I see a picture of the clown as well please?

OP
OP
michael.cser20

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he a white spotted kole tang? Some of the spots on the body look to be very uniform and spaced out very well. The spots on the tail are so many that I'm actually thinking velvet, assuming the ones on the body are part of his coloring. He's also very thin. I have a few questions for you...

Was he QT'd? How long have you had him? When was the last addition added to the tank? Is he getting Nori daily? Is he still eating anything at all at this point? Can I see a picture of the clown as well please?
I have had him for 8 months. He dosent eat nori he eats garlic flake food he wasent quarantined. I dont have the money or space to have one. The last fish was a anthias 3 months ago and he is doing great

OP
OP
michael.cser20

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its impossible for me to get a picture of my clown he moves to fast and its very blurry

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I would think that velvet would have presented itself by now. If you haven't lost any fish between adding the anthias and now then I'm going to rule that out for now. We can focus on ich. If you dont or can't have a QT then you'll have to make a decision and understand that there is a possibility that you will lose some of your fish. You'll need to boost these fish's immune system and to do that for the tang, he needs nori and some meaty foods besides flakes. If he wont take to nori on a clip try rubberbanding some to a small rock. It's more natural for him to eat from the rocks. Here's some info on your choices for your problem. The tang looks pretty bad and I dont think he will make it very much longer without good nutrition and treatment for the ich. Please read the link as it will contain a lot of good info for your situation.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

OP
OP
michael.cser20

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I would think that velvet would have presented itself by now. If you haven't lost any fish between adding the anthias and now then I'm going to rule that out for now. We can focus on ich. If you dont or can't have a QT then you'll have to make a decision and understand that there is a possibility that you will lose some of your fish. You'll need to boost these fish's immune system and to do that for the tang, he needs nori and some meaty foods besides flakes. If he wont take to nori on a clip try rubberbanding some to a small rock. It's more natural for him to eat from the rocks. Here's some info on your choices for your problem. The tang looks pretty bad and I dont think he will make it very much longer without good nutrition and treatment for the ich. Please read the link as it will contain a lot of good info for your situation.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/
Hes actually not eating . I fed them now he was the only one not eating. I didn't even notice really before. I put nori in the tank and hes swimming around it but not going for it. Hes kinda in the same spot tonight. Its weird this happened so fast. I swear he was fine a couple days ago and bam, now hes sick. What are some good meaty foods for my other fish besideS flake? I sometimes feed mysis too

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like velvet if you look at the tail they're very small dots. I hope I am wrong..

[HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like velvet if you look at the tail they're very small dots. I hope I am wrong..

[HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG]

See that's what I think too, but I keep thinking it should have shown it's ugly head before now. Running Copper or CP would cure both, but he doesn't/can't have a QT so it doesn't apply I guess. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes actually not eating . I fed them now he was the only one not eating. I didn't even notice really before. I put nori in the tank and hes swimming around it but not going for it. Hes kinda in the same spot tonight. Its weird this happened so fast. I swear he was fine a couple days ago and bam, now hes sick. What are some good meaty foods for my other fish besideS flake? I sometimes feed mysis too

I would feed more mysis with vitamin supplements added to it. There are other options like Live blackworms, oyster eggs, LRS reef frenzy.... a multitude of options out there. I'm hoping good nutrition will help your other fish because the tang looks pretty bad and without a QT to help him, there's not much else we can do from here.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's what I think too, but I keep thinking it should have shown it's ugly head before now. Running Copper or CP would cure both, but he doesn't/can't have a QT so it doesn't apply I guess. :(

Some fish can actually hold on with velvet for quite awhile, it seems to be dormant for some time occasionally as well and then reach a threshold where it takes over quickly. I had an established hippo that made it over 2 months with velvet while most of my angels croaked without obvious symptoms. Each time I was sure I figured out the issue. Turns out finally my chevron tang was a martyr for the cause and showed classic symptoms. My hippo did ultimately die but she was established and put up a good fight. My wrasse also seem largely unaffected, and this is the third time I have had velvet that most of my wrasse came through for some time. Once early on with ignorance where I thought I could feed it away, and the most recent incident took me two months embarrassingly to ID and address.

However it is not typical that velvet does as I described above but I guess my point is that it is possible. Humble is far more accute with these things than I, however

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish can actually hold on with velvet for quite awhile, it seems to be dormant for some time occasionally as well and then reach a threshold where it takes over quickly. I had an established hippo that made it over 2 months with velvet while most of my angels croaked without obvious symptoms. Each time I was sure I figured out the issue. Turns out finally my chevron tang was a martyr for the cause and showed classic symptoms. My hippo did ultimately die but she was established and put up a good fight. My wrasse also seem largely unaffected, and this is the third time I have had velvet that most of my wrasse came through for some time. Once early on with ignorance where I thought I could feed it away, and the most recent incident took me two months embarrassingly to ID and address.

However it is not typical that velvet does as I described above but I guess my point is that it is possible. Humble is far more accute with these things than I, however

Very true and I remember your story well. My thought process (I feel I need to talk it out some here) was he's emaciated, not eating so being in poor health already I would think he would be the last one to hold off velvet for that long. Of course, it really does look like it on the tail there. Yeah, I think I'll just shut my trap for a bit and wait for humble. lol :confused:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true and I remember your story well. My thought process (I feel I need to talk it out some here) was he's emaciated, not eating so being in poor health already I would think he would be the last one to hold off velvet for that long. Of course, it really does look like it on the tail there. Yeah, I think I'll just shut my trap for a bit and wait for humble. lol :confused:

Yeah I hear where you are coming from, thought that too

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
michael.cser20

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to him dead :( hes name was sparkles, rip. He went from healthy to dead in a day or 2

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to him dead :( hes name was sparkles, rip. He went from healthy to dead in a day or 2

Sorry to hear. :( Keep a close eye on all your other fish. If this is velvet, you've got more trouble coming.

OP
OP
michael.cser20

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other fish are
Fairy wrasse
6 line wrasse
Anthias
Tomato clown
Blue green chromis

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other fish are
Fairy wrasse
6 line wrasse
Anthias
Tomato clown
Blue green chromis

Good and bad news: Those are all fairly disease resistant species. So, you may not see white dots or dust on the skin due to their thick mucous coats. But the bad news is you may only see behavioral symptoms from them before they succumb to velvet. :(

OP
OP
michael.cser20

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet how long do I have? And what is the minimum amount of time before i replace the tang (i wont be getting another tang btw)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back