Does pvc plumbing require cleaning?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any need to clean out my pvc pipe and if so does anyone know of a flexible brush to feed through?

IMG_2029.jpeg

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from a thin bio film I have never seen anything grow or build up in the plumbing.

The flow is too high for anything to cling on and with lack of light basically nothing grows.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from a thin bio film I have never seen anything grow or build up in the plumbing.

The flow is too high for anything to cling on and with lack of light basically nothing grows.
I'm guessing bio film is the light brown slimy stuff? I used to notice my old canister filter hoses would always spew a bunch out when I turned it back on.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing bio film is the light brown slimy stuff? I used to notice my old canister filter hoses would always spew a bunch out when I turned it back on.
Not exactly, they are nothing more than a film/coating on the inside. They dont grow into a thick chunk that could block the flow of the pipe.

Are the hoses semi transparent or tinted for the canister filter? If so, then there would be enough light for those brown slimy stuff you experience to grow in it. Unless you have any sort of clear PVC in your system, a solid colored PVC pipe will not have anything more than a thin bio film. Ive ran my old tank for 10+ years and never clean the pipes. Theres not much build up that I could see inside the pipes when I dismantled my tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back