Does Vibrant always work for bubble algae?

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Vibrant for about three months trying to rid my aquarium of bubble algae. I have upped my dosing schedule and amount used as I see no results. Can one overdose? Anyone else not able to get bubble algae under control using Vibrant? Success using something else?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Vibrant for about three months trying to rid my aquarium of bubble algae. I have upped my dosing schedule and amount used as I see no results. Can one overdose? Anyone else not able to get bubble algae under control using Vibrant? Success using something else?

Ive never used vibrant but had some success scrubbing the rocks outside of the tank. And peroxide applied carefully to only the algae and then a rinse in wc water. Honestly i think the manual scrubbing did more than the H2o2. Outside the tank its easier to get leverage to scrub. I still have some bubble algae left but its controllable now. During pwc i look at my rocks see if theres any that need to be removed. For this i use an xacto knife, suck it out with the pwc water. Adds like 5 minutes a week of maintenance. I wouldnt say ive won only that it no longer poses a threat to viewing or corals. :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed w G above because using vibrant to rid a massive infestation is not the same as cheat cleaning the entire invasion to zero, and vibrant handles only stragglers. do the work method yep.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Vibrant and still using because I already bought 2 bottle 16 oz for 220g tank. I saw my tank was less Green algae but Red slime algae still growing and growing. I buy this Vibrant because I heard it can remove red slime algae too. I am wrong, it won't move Red slime algae. I am on the way treat my tank with Ultra Reef Red Slime Remover. The reason I use Vibrant because I think it can remove both algae Green and Red (main thing is Red), but it is not. Hopefully, that is enough information for you.
Note: I was treat by Vibrant 1 bottle 8oz before I bought 2 more bottle and I dose 30ml every week. Not help on Red slime algae :(

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we cure cyano and spirulina invasions all day long in the sand rinse thread, chem free, if anyone wants its a for-sure cure. we rinse it out and the feed that makes the slime mats grow

most large tankers wont do a skip cycle access of the sandbed...its for smaller tanks. but our method is much better than medication as it solves the cause and has a 100% compliance outcome, whereas meds range and allow growback by not removing the feed from the sandbed nor all the invader in many cases. this is no judgment against med use; if I had a large tank with a sandbed that could cloud upon disturbance Id use it too, it would take days to do a teardown cleaning of a huge system. more for smaller tankers.

Vibrant and bubble algae however go together very well, that species loved fragmentation regeneration and targeting valonia with vibrant is better than trying to scrape it out/spreading it. the tradeoff of valonia for cyano is 100% ok since cyano is terribly easy for smaller systems to be free of by lunchtime today.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering vibrant for my bubble algae issues and I seed this, has anyone used it?
Dr. Tim's Aquatics Waste-Away Natural Aquarium Cleaner for Saltwater Aquariums, 8-oz bottle
Seems like a proactive solution

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering vibrant for my bubble algae issues and I seed this, has anyone used it?
Dr. Tim's Aquatics Waste-Away Natural Aquarium Cleaner for Saltwater Aquariums, 8-oz bottle
Seems like a proactive solution
I dont have that one but have the Waste Away 5 weeks in cant say i see an effect tbh.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we cure cyano and spirulina invasions all day long in the sand rinse thread, chem free, if anyone wants its a for-sure cure. we rinse it out and the feed that makes the slime mats grow

most large tankers wont do a skip cycle access of the sandbed...its for smaller tanks. but our method is much better than medication as it solves the cause and has a 100% compliance outcome, whereas meds range and allow growback by not removing the feed from the sandbed nor all the invader in many cases. this is no judgment against med use; if I had a large tank with a sandbed that could cloud upon disturbance Id use it too, it would take days to do a teardown cleaning of a huge system. more for smaller tankers.

Vibrant and bubble algae however go together very well, that species loved fragmentation regeneration and targeting valonia with vibrant is better than trying to scrape it out/spreading it. the tradeoff of valonia for cyano is 100% ok since cyano is terribly easy for smaller systems to be free of by lunchtime today.

Brandon ive read through your sand cleaning method and agree it definitely helps. For larger systems do you think you could remove the fish and stir the sand bed vigorously increase flow than run a diatom filter? Caveat of course would be possibly needing a desulfurization method.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I had to remove Most of my LR and do a deep clean, acid bath, emerald crabs ect. Lost some sps frags, But I am glad I did. I got everything under control My LR is now totally covered in coraline and the little bit of BA is being handled buy the 2 crabs. just need to clean the rock more better.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gareth how big of a system? The reason I ask is, Paul does it just that way since his system is too big to part out and clean all at once

If you have a way to get 50-100 gallons of make water ready and that’s the size of the tank, it’s much more thorough to take apart the system and truly rinse it then put it back totally clean. All but the most packed and delicate sps systems aren’t harmed by full water changes we’ve had tons of people do them with good feedback

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im almost complete moving my 20 gallon to a 40 gallon. Im not moving the sand, bought new, so more to do with setting maintenance up first, so no issues later.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any system under 50 gallons nothing beats a full cleaning. We've demod them as not harmful, any other form of cleaning leaves some of the cleaning target in the system. After a partial clean, you can still stir up waste in the tank in places even after cleaning (therefore fuel exists for the next invasion challenge) but after a parted cleaning, there is no waste in the tank. It's purely a choice of how much fuel do we want left after the job

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dosed Vibrant daily instead of once a week for about a week. I got cyano pretty bad after that but it went away pretty quickly. No livestock losses or anything.

Colin Arlott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;
Sorry but i have another question about Vibrant if someone could please answer me.
I starting dosing vibrant 4 weeks ago and the bubble algae is starting to go clear and melt away Fantastic but i have now noticed that there is more growing.
Is this normal and it will all go away eventually ?

Thank you
Colin

Colin Arlott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;
Sorry but i have another question about Vibrant if someone could please answer me.
I starting dosing vibrant 4 weeks ago and the bubble algae is starting to go clear and melt away Fantastic but i have now noticed that there is more growing.
Is this normal and it will all go away eventually ?

Thank you
Colin

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back