Dogface with velvet or ich

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellowbelly dogface with tons on tiny white spots all over him. His fins are translucent and in the right light when you look at them you can see spots on them, as well as all over his body. I will try to get a good picture of him. I have already removed him from the DT and have him in a QT. I have heard copper is bad for puffers so I don’t know what to do. I have cupermine in hand if thats what it takes. My LFS has very minimal medications so my best option is my local petco. Anything there that can help for a sick puffer? Any advice? I really don’t want to lose this guy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellowbelly dogface with tons on tiny white spots all over him. His fins are translucent and in the right light when you look at them you can see spots on them, as well as all over his body. I will try to get a good picture of him. I have already removed him from the DT and have him in a QT. I have heard copper is bad for puffers so I don’t know what to do. I have cupermine in hand if thats what it takes. My LFS has very minimal medications so my best option is my local petco. Anything there that can help for a sick puffer? Any advice? I really don’t want to lose this guy.
Cupramine is a bit harsher than Coppersafe, but it works faster. You can use it on puffers if done properly. You'll need a good copper test kit, and then dose half the copper in the treatment tank, let it circulate for an hour, test to ensure you are at 1/2 dose, then add the second portion and then test again. Do not use ammonia removes while dosing copper.

Couple of issues - if you have other fish in your DT, they have been exposed and will likely contract ich as well. Also, depending on the number of spots on your puffer, really severe infections are difficult to treat in time. Copper takes about 3 days to start to work....

Jay

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is a bit harsher than Coppersafe, but it works faster. You can use it on puffers if done properly. You'll need a good copper test kit, and then dose half the copper in the treatment tank, let it circulate for an hour, test to ensure you are at 1/2 dose, then add the second portion and then test again. Do not use ammonia removes while dosing copper.

Couple of issues - if you have other fish in your DT, they have been exposed and will likely contract ich as well. Also, depending on the number of spots on your puffer, really severe infections are difficult to treat in time. Copper takes about 3 days to start to work....

Jay
So I have a tank that is already at the appropriate level of copper that I can put the puffer in. I was just worried about exposing him to copper. He is still eating well and looks healthy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank that is already at the appropriate level of copper that I can put the puffer in. I was just worried about exposing him to copper. He is still eating well and looks healthy.

He may go off his feed, but he is going to die if he has "tons of spots" and you don't treat. Your other option would by hyposalinity - dropping the specific gravity to 1.009 over three days, measuring it with a very accurate hydrometer. It isn't as effective or as fast acting as copper, but puffers tolerate it well.

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 163 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.0%
Back