Dom's 20H reef

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my tank is now over 10 years old (Well, my inhabitants are 10, which includes everything but the tank itself, that is new) and I have been through my ups and downs. Thinking of replacing my LED light atm with the AI Prime HD.

Tank includes...

32lbs (approx) of Fuji Live rock. Been curing for 10 years =)
25lbs Live sand (give or take a couple lbs). Again, in the tank for 10 years
4 Blue legs hermits
3-4 turbos
1 giant Trochus snail
1 Yellow Assessor
1 Peppermint shrimp

Corals...

GSP Covering the top of all my rock, with some brown button pylops and some green/brown trumpet mushrooms (actually not to sure on these, maybe someone can shed some light, these came on my rock as with 2 little baby heads and now over 13 small to large heads)

As for hardware...

2x Korilia Nanos
Aquaclear 50 with Surface skimmer
Marineland Reef LED (23x 1w 6.5k/10k, 4x 1w Blue) (Soon to be replaced with AI Prime HD)

Every so often, I dose some PurpleUP. Other than that, just bi monthly water changes (5 gallons). Scraping of the glass every couple months, new filter media every 2 weeks to a month. Depending. Only RODI water used for pretty much everything.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_5783.JPG

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank looks like what a scuba diver would see! that kind of encrusting is completely confirming of age it looks reefy. I take my tank apart and rinse the sand out occasionally, keeping all the rocks and corals untouched and in my opinion this makes a tank ageless. why let something run till it just ends...whether yours was a reboot or move that got into this new tank its a biologically ageless way to run a tank. well done and sharp pics

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The tank is new, so thats why its so clean, at least the back anyway. I normally keep the front and sides very clean. My coralline has grown at a alarming rate (due to purpleup, want to get the back covered). I actually have to scrap it off the power heads and my filter every so often. I can confirm that the flow is certainly impeded when they are covered. I actually did them last night. The pic is about 2 months of no scraping after a good cleaning.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was switched about a week ago. I went with a 20H and removed the rims on top and bottom. I always wanted a rimless tank, but was always scared to do it. Finally got up the balls to do it and had to leak test for a few days to make sure it could hold water. Was really a scary moment when I actually filled it up for the first time haha. I just LOVE the way a rimless tank looks. It really does make a difference, especially at night.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I try and keep a clean ship =) Really enjoying the clownfish i got from a fellow member. Love their personalities.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5974.JPG
IMG_5980.JPG
IMG_5982.JPG
Update FTS shot...ditched my foam in my filter, now just running live rock in a media bag, and a some piece of pad for a day or so to pick up some stuff and maybe a bag of carbon for a day or two to clear up the water if needed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back