Don't build a fish room without this! What else would you add?

Dedicated Fish Room

• I have a dedicated fish room

Votes: 202 29.4%
  • I do not have a dedicated fish room

Votes: 148 21.6%
  • I do not have a dedicated fish room but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 205 29.9%
  • I have a room but it's not just for the tank

Votes: 131 19.1%

• Total voters

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a dedicated fish room bc our tank is the centerpiece of our living room. The WaterBox 230.6 with the white cabinet was the impetus for redoing and redecorating the room. I do have a dedicated water and fish supply room. It is invaluable and I don’t know what I would do without it.
What I would like most is a a dedicated sump room either behind or a floor down from my tank. It is soooo hard to get under the tank and do anything in the sump closet or the electrical cabinet. I don’t have a basement Just a crawl space. I have plumbed the water station under the house and up into the tank but if I had a basement I would have the sump down there. No more crawling on knees contorting my body and banging my head trying to empty the skimmer or clean the pumps etc.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large deep utility sink. Mine has a bare concrete floor. If water gets on the floor. I let it evaporate and dont worry about it.
The beginning.
2018123011414010-56782834074__3CC1F8D9-DF65-426A-993B-A32EDF852037-L.jpg

I covered the walls with heavy T-11 siding. Water resistant and I can attach to the walls anywhere I want.

Nice. May use your T11 siding idea!!

ceruleanspiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my tanks are in one room, but that room is a working office. It used to be a garage, so it had a utility sink. We kept the utility sink, but bought a newer more attractive cabinet sink. We also tiled the area from the side door to the door into the main house so my largest tank (my 75gal freswater community) is on tile. My salt tank is on carpet, and my small tanks are on furniture on carpet. I'm hoping when we move in a few years I'll be able to keep all tanks on tile and hopefully in one area of the house near a sink.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh, attach a spray hose! Very timely thread. Finally building a very modest fish room, getting to old and Maintaining something under the stand is to much bending. The new display is on the same level but I’m running the plumbing under the bathrooms raise flooring. The laundry room is just across the hall and has existing sink. The sumps will be forty gallon breeders.

So I would say, just get one.

94590BCA-763A-4229-970C-ADB61DE59B2A.jpeg D3F55F0B-6C36-44A1-BAB2-5BDF2BF45A74.jpeg

Davidsim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basement fish room is in phase one , plumbing complete, floor drain installed, isoladed 125 amp / 12 circuit subpanel, 110v plugs (6) (2)- 8' HO floursent fixtures, repurposed kit counters & cabnets 1 deep sink, epoxy concrete floor, sealed walls no windows, exhaust fan, 12'X12' room, phase 2:, 125 gal a day r/o ato system, 1-45gl fw / 1-45gl sw storage, dosing system, testing and quarantine lab
Slow n steady, is the norm hoping for Apr/May tank startup

Sean : AbN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work in progress... I’d say look at a decent dehumidifier! The HVAC in this room does the job in the summer but not in the winter. Also be sure to have some sort of temp alert that can send notifications to your phone. That is a lifesaver in case something goes wrong and you’re not around!

BD414A26-D0C3-4232-BCBA-3B489C6BD4CA.jpeg A8157D96-479B-4D1B-8A48-6233B425BC1B.jpeg

mmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floor drain, and sink. Dedicated breaker at least 20amp(obviously depending on size of setup)with GFCI and too many outlets

Bert S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a tile floor with a closet that I keep supplies, replacement water tanks (2 @ 100 gal each) supplied by my RODi system with auto refill all my tanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish room where all my chemicals, equipment, buckets, rodi unit and utility sink are. I absolutely love it! In the old house I had stuff stacked up and around the tank, here it's all out of sight out of mind. And I didnt have a plumbed utility sink. I dont know now how I ever lived without one

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to start off I have a small house and do not have the room for a dedicated “fish room” I am asking this out of curiosity and don’t mean to sound like an butt.
But do you spend enough time in the room to just have a tank? Or do u look to have more like a family room just centered around ur tank?

Again not wanting to offend anyone just curious.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything already mentioned: sink, love the dishwasher, washer/dryer & rolling stool ideas. Floor drain is a must. All QT systems, RODI, mixing station, etc., should go in this room.

I'd also want well lighted counter space for doing testing, inspecting new livestock, working on equipment, etc. Cabinets to put things away in, and a small fridge+freezer.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to start off I have a small house and do not have the room for a dedicated “fish room” I am asking this out of curiosity and don’t mean to sound like an ***.
But do you spend enough time in the room to just have a tank? Or do u look to have more like a family room just centered around ur tank?

Again not wanting to offend anyone just curious.
I didnt understand at first. I do not have a dedicated room for looking at fish. Well actually I sort of do. The fish room is where all the stuff I use to maintain my tanks and run them lives. There is nothing under my tanks but pump controllers and an occasional cat.
All that stuff I posted above makes these work. This is my basement.
IMG_1990-L.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back