• Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

troywawrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy brightwell additives. I wouldn't really call it skimping but they are much cheaper than kz or tm ect.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO "skimping" does't have to be monetarily only... can I get a skimmer rated for a smaller tank to save a couple bucks? Possibly but why not get one that will over perform and can be tuned down in the case that I may want to upgrade tank size later and utilize the same skimmer instead of having to buy a new skimmer too and spending more anyway. I think this goes for A LOT in this hobby, lights, return pumps, powerheads etc.. Do I skimp? NOPE I got into this hobby knowing it was one of the biggest things in my life that I enjoy (not the only thing) and I want to completely enjoy it!

Kjeldh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two non-skimp items were lighting and skimmer. Everything else was evaluated for cost versus performance and longevity

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped on a sump. Looked at designs, researched a lot and made mine out of a 30B and $20 worth of glass and silicon. I did NOT skimp on pumps, power heads or lights.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped On mixing equipment I just fill my 2x 25ltr containers every week the day before water change Leave them somewhere I walk past
And shake the s@*t out of them every time I do plus get bit of exercise lol then before bed into the warm airing cupboard they go perfect temp for the day after water change

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm "skimping" on a description of this thread and simply asking you to answer these simple questions.

1. In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium you should not "SKIMP" on this?

2. What have you "skimped" on that has worked well for you?

Untitled-2.jpg
I try not to skimp, and came back to the hobby this year after an almost 25 year hiatus. Last time out it was fish only tank (FOWLR wasn't even a thing then) and this time around it's mixed reef. With a January start, everything is in it's infancey, but is progressing nicely.

Man, have things changed! Unfortunatley, I began by setting up a 1995 saltwater tank as opposed to what one would do today. I've learned as I progressed whih led to replacement of inexpensive lights wiht Kessils, replacement of Current Loop powerheads with Ecotech Vortechs, an ATO system, etc...

I guess about the only thing that I have skimped on is fish feeding, and I'm in the process of correcting tht as 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate concentrations are now viewed as sub-optimal. I'm feeding, and going to get those parameters up to 3 and 0.03 respectively, and see how the corals like it.

The more things change...the more they change. :cool:

IMG_3757.jpg

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 - Don't skimp on ATO. Having reliable ATO to keep salinity in check is key.

2- Really no need for a controller. Over priced and save your money.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby, skimping is not worth the potential upside of saving money. The price of buying the right item and/or the costs and time required to fix a problems that a cheap product creates makes it not worth the risk.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything I’ve skimped on I bought 2x. Lost about 1k on that lesson. Saltwater stuff is expensive because everything is marine grade and low volume. You can buy toy grade **** buy it won’t last when it touches salt for over a year.

even the good stuff won’t last more than a decade in most cases

used light worked out ok for me though the first ai prime the original owner had dipped in the tank. Luckily ai sent me a hydra as a replacement.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium you should not "SKIMP" on this?

Learning
Patience
The wisdom of more experienced reefers
Equipment
Salt mix

2. What have you "skimped" on that has worked well for you?

Nothing. Every time I have ever skimped I have regretted it. Buy quality the first time, pay the price and treat it with care. Understand sometimes even quality products may fail of have a lemon but that is the exception not the rule.

One last thought. Enjoy the hobby, don’t let it “rule” You let it be a source of joy.

Afm32607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapest salt and bulk additives, like soda ash and calcium. Let’s me do more water changes with less cost and the additives are a daily requirement. Neither is a complicated product so side effects are not a concern.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tank automation and control and im a gear junkie so I don’t think I have skimpt on much. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned from not skimping it’s that sometimes keeping it simple and not adding too much complexity is the best route to success.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimped on sand, went bare bottom setup.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to do over, the only thing I wouldn't skimp on would be not doing proper quarantine. On everything.

Most equipment (lights, powerheads, skimmer) probably okay not getting top of the line in a lot of situations.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have I not skimped on:

Quality of livestock: I've learned my lesson buying random things at the lfs that just came off the airplane. I only buy animals that have been cared for well, and when possible fully quarentined already.

What I skimp on:

Testing equipment. I use cheap API test kits for the most part and a simple hydrometer and my test results always match the Red Sea tests and refractometer that the lfs uses. When something is wrong, my testing methods have always picked up on it. Maybe it's just that I run a less sensitive lps/softie/nem tank, but I've never felt the need for more or more accurate info than I'm getting.

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mrs. Wages pickling lime.
home made nopox.
homemade iron additive.
Dog food containers for fresh water (with wheels). This is where the lime goes.

alorrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as for skimping that is in the eyes of the beholder.

Salts, food, and many of the substances for keeping a reef.... no.... them are top shelf nothing less than the best even if its cheaper best or none. Top shelf can also be DIY and can be cheaper.

But as for equiptment..... well thats a different story. New used is always welcome.

Many items in my size are ether non effective.... or so overly priced and bulky it couldnt be used.

To this ive kept the keep it simple stupid approch rather than "skimping"

Where i could have bought bigger or more lights a single AI prime was murderously overkill for a nano tank.

And where many items like the 1k gyer and mp10 are great! I love them. They dont fit....

So the cheaper 300gph hydor pump line up work amazingly once fitted to suit and not just thrown in. *just keep a few spares around.* too cheap not to.

Corals and fish. Well i like to take injured or sick many if not all up to this point of my corals and fish have been free or cheap for a reason. And all have made full recoveries!

So where many may skimp and be inconsistant by pinching pennys shopping around. Loyalty to quality is supreme and change needs to be slow and consistant not abruptly.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimp as much as I can.
Used equipment, build it if I can. Cheaper controllers for instance I have a inkbird instead of a whole aquarium controller.
I bought jaybo wavemakers and I like them better than the MP40 that I actually spent money on. Eh

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back