OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 clowns and a clown goby.(tiny guy). 3 weeks old, but I have used api quick start. I still have to get the CUC. If I can I would get the pistol without the watchman, but is he ok/cool activity still?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 clowns and a clown goby.(tiny guy). 3 weeks old, but I have used api quick start. I still have to get the CUC. If I can I would get the pistol without the watchman, but is he ok/cool activity still?
Your tank is pretty new, even with the quickstart. The best advice now is to not add anything for a few weeks and see how it goes. Develop you testing and maintenance routines. Enjoy the fish. Maybe some snails or hermits as CUC.

The pistol will dig around, but there are other ornamental shrimp that might be better viewing. Mine is nocturnal without his fish buddy, so I really never see him.

5 fish is quite a bit for a biocube. Are you doing regular water changes?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference, I have a 40g with 6 fish. Nutrient wise it’s totally fine, but I can tell by my fishes behavior that I have 1 too many. I actually may have lost one because it’s constantly hiding now and I haven’t seen it for a little bit. And this is in a tank that has more length and thus more territory than a biocube.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a full tank shot fts of the tank please and as above, don't add anything until you have a set of water test results?
Lots of great advice above, take your time, if you rush the start you are creating a potential problem as you move forward.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing water and everything is fine. And I have a huge amount of surface area and a lot of biological filter space

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing water and everything is fine. And I have a huge amount of surface area and a lot of biological filter space
Glad everything is fine. You have a biocube so "huge" is quite relative. The small tanks like yours can get out of whack quickly, even once mature, because of the small water volume. I would still recommend not add anything for a few weeks and see how it goes. Develop you testing and maintenance routines. Enjoy the fish. Maybe down the road you can get one more small fish. It might depend on the temperament of your clowns.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down, avoid impulse buys at all cost. Bounce purchases of equipment and livestock off members on R2R prior to purchase (as you already have).
Reality of the situation is that in the size tank you have you're extremely limited as to what you can add fish wise, but you can always add more corals as long as water chemistry is in line. We are your best resource, consider the advice already given. Right now I would not add any more fish based on the age of your tank. Trust me you'll be headed for disaster in a couple months if you continue to add to what you have. There is always a couple members that will pat you on the back and say "sure go ahead". More often than not these are hobbyist that will not be in the hobby long enough to witness the natural life span of the livestock they purchase.

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a “Dori” when I started in the hobby

I had no idea of what a reef tank was and never had a tank of whatever but a small glass ball with an orange fresh water fish that my little boys teacher offered him and I just changed the water when it was so grey I could not find the fish

Only I know how sad I became when I saw her die and not knowing why

Since then I keep my 4,5 G fresh water tank with fresh water equipment that I bought without knowing what I was doing and my LFS was not strong enough to not sell me what I wanted to Buy.

So, since Doris death I sent Nemo and Marlin back to LFS and started all over

So I made some changes after reading a lot in my Fresh water tank and now I have salt water with a Nemo, a Marlin and the hairdresser shrimp in that my little girl got in her birthday to have Nemo and Dori family, because I have no one to keep them in a bigger tank

So I am the most live example on how not to start a reef tank, but I consider that I listen what I am told

I had no idea that this online world about reef tanks existed to teach us even with all false and bad hints we get that in time we learn how to find if it’s a good hint

Amônia was a strange word when I heard it for the first time just after Dori s dead so u understand how ignorant I was about this

Now my little girl and owner of the tank wants her Dori back, because she thinks Dori went to hospital sick one year ago.

But I tell her We can’t have her Dori Back in this so little house for a Dori

So I spent this last year learning the hobby and there is a lot I don’t know still, but one thing I promised my self, That I would do all my best to give my fish the best I can so they are healthy
I want to upgrade to a bigger tank, but I feel I am not prepared yet to that adventure

So think properly in what you will do, it breaks our heart to loose a Dori and one thing I can tell you
I had some things that didn’t went ok in my little reef tank even with water parameters ok
And in a small tank anything can happen fast really fast

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a “Dori” when I started in the hobby

I had no idea of what a reef tank was and never had a tank of whatever but a small glass ball with an orange fresh water fish that my little boys teacher offered him and I just changed the water when it was so grey I could not find the fish

Only I know how sad I became when I saw her die and not knowing why

Since then I keep my 4,5 G fresh water tank with fresh water equipment that I bought without knowing what I was doing and my LFS was not strong enough to not sell me what I wanted to Buy.

So, since Doris death I sent Nemo and Marlin back to LFS and started all over

So I made some changes after reading a lot in my Fresh water tank and now I have salt water with a Nemo, a Marlin and the hairdresser shrimp in that my little girl got in her birthday to have Nemo and Dori family, because I have no one to keep them in a bigger tank

So I am the most live example on how not to start a reef tank, but I consider that I listen what I am told

I had no idea that this online world about reef tanks existed to teach us even with all false and bad hints we get that in time we learn how to find if it’s a good hint

Amônia was a strange word when I heard it for the first time just after Dori s dead so u understand how ignorant I was about this

Now my little girl and owner of the tank wants her Dori back, because she thinks Dori went to hospital sick one year ago.

But I tell her We can’t have her Dori Back in this so little house for a Dori

So I spent this last year learning the hobby and there is a lot I don’t know still, but one thing I promised my self, That I would do all my best to give my fish the best I can so they are healthy
I want to upgrade to a bigger tank, but I feel I am not prepared yet to that adventure

So think properly in what you will do, it breaks our heart to loose a Dori and one thing I can tell you
I had some things that didn’t went ok in my little reef tank even with water parameters ok
And in a small tank anything can happen fast really fast
+1

Also, I think you will have problems with 4 clownfish, especialy in a tank as small as a biocube. If two pairs are formed, they will usually fight to the death over territory. I have heard of people attempting this in tanks much larger than yours and still having problems.
If you are trying to start a harem (colony of clownfish), you would probably need a larger tank and a lot more clowns in order to reduce agression.
Not saying that you definitely won't have success with your tank, but it is very risky.

Also, that seems like a lot of fish for a 3 week old tank. I would recommend waiting at least a week or two before adding any fish, even if you did use the bacteria in a bottle.

All in all, what you do with the tank really is up to you. But if you want the best chance for success, I would recommend removing 2 of the clownfish, regardless of your age.
Not trying to hate, we were all beginners at one point, some of us more recently than others:)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly (don't freak out) I have the same size tank, but instead of 6 I have about 20
This is all the OP needs to read to think he can raise a tang in a bio cube. Let us know how all those fish are doing in 2 years if there alive and how the tank is running.

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can do all we want

It’s up to us to decide how we want to take care of our animals

9a74f3d28f619af6de1acac1aac42e7e.jpg

Last edited:

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks? The tank isnt even fully cycled yet. If those clowns even live another month you'll have a mini sucess. Plus they'll be so agressive from living through the cycle they wont tolerate each other nevermind more. The only thing that helps is they are all different species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back