OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s suppose to be a blacker ice clown. But when I look up blacker ice they have orange bodies. Not saying I don’t love that he’s black. I preferred him.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how violent they can get between themselves

And they also have “marital” “ fights “ but those are not as violent as this one

Usually in those “date” fights you see the smallest laying sideways trembling in a submissive position and attitude

Mine aren’t that bad. They don’t chase. They just dart up to the other one.

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As did mine for weeks, but then, I don’t know why, they became like this

Maybe as they were to close in size, they had submissive issues and territorial fight happened

As you know they start both male then the biggest and more dominant gets female

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing about aggressions, blue light seams to stimulate the violence
It was at blue light period, they get more violent

I am sharing my own experience because with 4 clownfish in your tank, I think you may have some of this issues

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at fire fish they are cool and you can keep like 4 of them with your clowns in the bio cube flame angels are cool but it will most likely get bored and start picking on literally everything in your tank which will keep you from having a worthy host for the clowns which in turn will bring out the best in the clowns aggression... That’s a lot of aggression. I mean anything’s possible but look at the big picture and weigh your options. Like the option that the stress and aggression issue will decrease the tangs immune system which if you have researched the acanthuride family as a whole you will see they need a lot of swim space and cold clean water for the poor immune system in comparison to the clowns immune system. I know you could acclimate your clowns to colder temps and attempt to keep your tang from getting sick. If you want a big pretty fish you can keep in smaller tanks look at freshwater discus... hopefully you find these options and facts about the family of the tang/surgeon fish helpful i always like to study family genus and species of fish I want it helps me get ready for unsuspected behaviors/things and by things I mean facts the lfs left out so you would buy the fish

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing about aggressions, blue light seams to stimulate the violence
It was at blue light period, they get more violent

I am sharing my own experience because with 4 clownfish in your tank, I think you may have some of this issues

I tried 4 clowns myself and have tried to pair the 4 a few times now they always were cool for a few days then the female always tries to kill the one that’s biggest at the time. I just decided this time it wasn’t going to work so the one it killed this time I put in my Fowlr tank and am hoping the 3 work and don’t try killing each other
16066e622805a224f40dfdfb8bbe6f97.jpg

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 4 clowns myself and have tried to pair the 4 a few times now they always were cool for a few days then the female always tries to kill the one that’s biggest at the time. I just decided this time it wasn’t going to work so the one it killed this time I put in my Fowlr tank and am hoping the 3 work and don’t try killing each other
16066e622805a224f40dfdfb8bbe6f97.jpg

Yep :)

This is the kind of information that our new hobby friend may need to better understand this amazing hobby :)

I was told lots of times since I started mine, that I would not be able to keep it, and that I would not be able to get a Tang and my two clowns and shrimp in this 4,5 G tank, so I decided not to have her here

But with will and patience and lots of reading, my little tank is still running and has been a great teaching school to me :)

Now, ... all I am told and read that may kill my fish and corals I do all to avoid it, and I don’t mind to share my mistakes, always wishing they teach someone to avoid same errors

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I agree.

Me too, I agree with you both

But who, among all of us reefers with more or less experience, have not done things against what we were told when we started the hobby

I understand part of his problem now, by mistake or not, he bought more clowns then he should and have a wish to have a Dory.

And sometimes, even when we get over our proud and decide to remove some of them from our tank, it’s not easy to send them back to store again or find someone to keep them for us

So we look for ways to try to fix it.

Regarding Dory, I guess he realized by now that it’s not a good thing to do but he is trying to see if there is somehow someway to have her [emoji4]

1st Space
We all know tangs needs space
He also knows it by now
But...
He thinks that wile Dory is a baby, space may not be a problem ( like I thought at first one year back)

So

why not have a baby Dory in his small tank and when she gets bigger he upgrades for a bigger tank? Or find a new home for her and buy another baby Dory?

In my poor opinion ( and I thought on doing the same because of my little girls pressure to have her back [emoji4] ) I decided not to do it because....

1st
I hated the loss feeling when my baby Dory died and I swear myself that I would do everything to not feel It again ( this feeling you only get It when you cross through t ) so I don’t believe he would feel comfortable give away his Dory after she gets bigger [emoji4]

2nd
Blue Tangs are known to be hard keeping, they are not easy to care ( stress is enough to them to get itch I think )
And small places cause stress to Blue Tangs so, Tangs get sick Easley and being in a small place I guess they become sick more often

3rd
Babies fish, like humans , are not as strong as adults, so a Baby Dory in a new and recently cycling tank would have lots of problems to resist to Amônia or Nitrites or any other natural variation of a parameter that frequently happens, when starting a reef tank

So, this were my conclusions after months of readings that took me to decide not to have a Dory in my small Micro Reef Tank” a tinny tank ;-)

Now it’s my little girl and even my wife that are asking me to upgrade to a bigger one so we have Dory Back and it’s me who is asking them to wait, till I feel secure enough to hold a bigger tank

But, I am not 18 [emoji4] I have a half century life experience that makes me realize that rush is not a good thing in this hobby

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a fish that gets to big for a tank in plans of putting it in a larger tank that your "uograding" to is bad practice in this hobby. We've all been there and most of us would love to upgrade to a bigger tank. Are you suggesting that he gets the tang anyway for his plans of an upgrade or am I reading this wrong? If you are then that's not good advice for anyone new, period. Years ago I wanted to put a baby Koran angel in a 36 bowfront because it was so tiny and I had plans of a large upgrade. I was informed how that was a bad idea from more experienced reefers and I didn't respond negatively to the advice given, I listened because I posted a question for advice. Guess what happened to my big plans at the time??? Life happened and the 300 gallon tank did not. Good thing I listened to sound advice instead of responding like I knew what I was doing and would buy the angel anyway.

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Tangs are known to be hard keeping, they are not easy to care ( stress is enough to them to get itch I think )
And small places cause stress to Blue Tangs so, Tangs get sick Easley and being in a small place I guess they become sick more often

Just want to throw this out there, Tiny Blue Tangs are notoriously hard to keep, even for experts. Also, stress will not give fish Cryptocaryon irritans(Ich/ick), it's a parasite that is easily avoided by a simple QT procedure.
I would never consider keeping a Blue Tang in anything smaller than a 300, but that point has been beaten to death by now.
@Alexx17, keep researching and asking questions until the community agrees with you, then go even slower. Nothing good ever happens fast in the hobby!

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a fish that gets to big for a tank in plans of putting it in a larger tank that your "uograding" to is bad practice in this hobby. We've all been there and most of us would love to upgrade to a bigger tank. Are you suggesting that he gets the tang anyway for his plans of an upgrade or am I reading this wrong? If you are then that's not good advice for anyone new, period. Years ago I wanted to put a baby Koran angel in a 36 bowfront because it was so tiny and I had plans of a large upgrade. I was informed how that was a bad idea from more experienced reefers and I didn't respond negatively to the advice given, I listened because I posted a question for advice. Guess what happened to my big plans at the time??? Life happened and the 300 gallon tank did not. Good thing I listened to sound advice instead of responding like I knew what I was doing and would buy the angel anyway.

Hi DSC Reef

I am sorry if my English is not good enough as it’s not my natural language, and may have you and all thought I was suggesting it.

I said what he is thinking and that I have also thought it when I started the hobby one year back

And that was to upgrade to a bigger tank when Dory grows.

But then, I said my conclusions after months of readings

And those conclusions where to NOT do it due to all the points I mentioned

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look I understand the whole amount of info given to me. And I’m not get dory and I’m not putting anymore fish in my tank. So please let go of the dory thing. Im was making various points as to how a thought it would, and I know now it won’t work. I’m asking questions about my clowns. And not to offend anyone or not take your advice, but I can’t just take back two of my fish. Sorry but I can’t. I have sibling and I’m not trying to explain that to them. I was told and some people on here have said. Clowns are colonial. So, I know some people will be offended by this, but if some of my clown die.then I wouldn’t have to chose which ones I don’t. Because I want them all. Sorry and I’m not trying to offend anyone or start any drama. I just want this dory thing to end. And for people who want one in there biocube later. Can look it up in google and see this thread and use the knowledge given. Thank you

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to throw this out there, Tiny Blue Tangs are notoriously hard to keep, even for experts. Also, stress will not give fish Cryptocaryon irritans(Ich/ick), it's a parasite that is easily avoided by a simple QT procedure.
I would never consider keeping a Blue Tang in anything smaller than a 300, but that point has been beaten to death by now.
@Alexx17, keep researching and asking questions until the community agrees with you, then go even slower. Nothing good ever happens fast in the hobby!

Thanks for correcting me Atul@AmongThe Reef

I am still new at this and always learning [emoji4] and sometimes we misunderstand the readings, and that’s why I said “I think “ [emoji4]

Last edited:

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!
Sorry everyone's being jerks and un educational lol.
Baby fish in the wild don't swim in open water. They hide amongst the coral and rocks. And are comfortable that way. Putting a baby tang in a small tank, will make the tang feel much more comfortable, then putting him n a large tank. (I've watch a baby sail fin tang get torn part in my 350 by bigger fish, as soon as he was put in) To answer the question that you ask, it is 100% okay to put a baby tang in a baby tank (no offense lol) As soon as he gets a good size, which he will,he'll let you know with swimming eradicaly around the tank looking frustrated. It's time for him a new home or trade in at the shop. I keep 1 baby yellow tang in my 65 g reef just for algae eating and they get a good size in about 4 to 5 months, and then I trade him n for a new baby! :) Been doing it for years. And that's the true answer 2 your questions ( that looks like everyone over looked). Don't let anyone steer you differently. And as far as having a bunch of fish n your tank. Your fish will let you know if they are having a hard time sharing room with one another, watch them carfully, but heavy filtration is a must. But keep in mind reefs are crowded. If (reef fish) wanted more space they wouldn't be huddled on a reef they'd be spread out in the miles of open ocean, they are comfortable and protected this way. :)
20170730_181331.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!
Sorry everyone's being jerks and un educational lol.
Baby fish in the wild don't swim in open water. They hide amongst the coral and rocks. And are comfortable that way. Putting a baby tang in a small tank, will make the tang feel much more comfortable, then putting him n a large tank. (I've watch a baby sail fin tang get torn part in my 350 by bigger fish, as soon as he was put in) To answer the question that you ask, it is 100% okay to put a baby tang in a baby tank (no offense lol) As soon as he gets a good size, which he will,he'll let you know with swimming eradicaly around the tank looking frustrated. It's time for him a new home or trade in at the shop. I keep 1 baby yellow tang in my 65 g reef just for algae eating and they get a good size in about 4 to 5 months, and then I trade him n for a new baby! :) Been doing it for years. And that's the true answer 2 your questions ( that looks like everyone over looked). Don't let anyone steer you differently. And as far as having a bunch of fish n your tank. Your fish will let you know if they are having a hard time sharing room with one another, watch them carfully, but heavy filtration is a must. But keep in mind reefs are crowded. If (reef fish) wanted more space they wouldn't be huddled on a reef they'd be spread out in the miles of open ocean, they are comfortable and protected this way. :)
20170730_181331.jpg
Your logic sir is astounding. You know coral and fish are different right? After this post it's obvious this thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back