Dosing 2 Part B Ionic Softie Only 90 Gallon

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Quick discussion, Instead of doing weekly 10% water changes. Can I starting tomorrow, test for alk and calcium everyday for 5 days, see how much my tank is using, and then at the end of each week dose each element of what the tank consumed total that whole week. I say this because dosing everyday isn’t keeping my numbers stable and it’s just rising each day. Thank you a lot for the help everyone.

Joey S.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably don't need to dose daily, but it would be better to spread out a dose especially if your alk drops by more than a point and a half a week (or so). However, a softie tank shouldn't use much of part 1 and 2. Typically a good idea is to just test the levels everyday at the same time for a day or two to test daily consumption but then again a softie tank may not have noticeable changes that quickly.

The water change may still be handy if you are relying on it for nitrate and phosphate export as well as for minor and trace elements.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Quick discussion, Instead of doing weekly 10% water changes. Can I starting tomorrow, test for alk and calcium everyday for 5 days, see how much my tank is using, and then at the end of each week dose each element of what the tank consumed total that whole week. I say this because dosing everyday isn’t keeping my numbers stable and it’s just rising each day. Thank you a lot for the help everyone.

Joey S.

Each element? Which elements are rising? If you just mean calcium and alk (not an element), then I'd dose equal parts based on alk demand UNLESS calcium gets too low (<400 ppm) or too high (>550 ppm). A one week change in calcium in your system will be too small to accurately measure and adjust dosing.

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each element? Which elements are rising? If you just mean calcium and alk (not an element), then I'd dose equal parts based on alk demand UNLESS calcium gets too low (<400 ppm) or too high (>550 ppm). A one week change in calcium in your system will be too small to accurately measure and adjust dosing.
I started with the recommended amount of ESV which is 1ml per 4 gallons. And I tested for 5 days, and each day alk and cal did rise. So would it be better to dose less offen? Or not at all?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the recommended amount of ESV which is 1ml per 4 gallons. And I tested for 5 days, and each day alk and cal did rise. So would it be better to dose less offen? Or not at all?
if levels are rising, it means tank is not using up the added 2 part so I'd stop dosing. It sounds like there is no demand for 2 part and the tank does not need it at this time. How much coral does tank have and are they young?

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if levels are rising, it means tank is not using up the added 2 part so I'd stop dosing. It sounds like there is no demand for 2 part and the tank does not need it at this time. How much coral does tank have and are they young?
10 corals, 8 of them I got as frags, and haven’t grown much since then.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case regular WC should keep up with demand. I'd keep record/eye on levels for next several months and when WC can't keep up with alk/calc demand, then this would be time to start dosing. Keep track of alk/cal levels now and note the difference in levels when WC can't keep up, this is the amount you want to replenish via 2-part dosing. Also FYI, my tanks also mostly softies and they like "dirtier" water w higher levels of NO3 & PO4 for them to grow and be happy ;)

pi.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back