Dosing BRS elements question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends,
Got a Red Sea 750XXL v3. Relatively recent upgrade from my old 120. Mixed reef with some larger sps and clams.

Still getting used to the extreme volumes. I’m now running a triton and DOSs for BRS Mag, Alk and CA. Tank has been reliably sucking down around 300ml-500ml each per day to maintain 9.2/420/1350 Which seems like a LOT to me.

Just looking for a reality check. At these rates the ATO is almost pointless!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plugging the information you've provided into our reefing calculator (estimating 160 gallons of actual water volume to account for rock/sand displacement), it would take ~342 ml to raise your tank by 3 dKH. 300-500 ml is a big range, but that 3 dKH is an ultra high consumption rate. Even fully stocked SPS tanks don't usually consume that much alkalinity. My guess is that you're seeing some precipitation.

We do have a short FAQ video where Ryan covers what this means and how to avoid it. You can see that video HERE.

OP
OP
T

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the links - will reset and play with adjusting the dosing output locations.

Definitely getting some precipitation. I was always under the impression not to dose into baffles or pump section of sump to prevent precipitation on the return pumps but you guys make a solid case for highest flow.

Currently my dosing is going into the drain tube section upstream of the filter socks. Baffles move water faster indeed than that area.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you dosing? Try spreading out when you dose--for example alk during the day, ca at night.

OP
OP
T

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're all 3 spread over 24 hours (via DOS). Gotta be the location I'm dripping (hoping!).

Currently doing a 48-hour no-dose measurement period per the BRS video. I hadnt done one since stocking the tank up, so good to recalibrate my headspace.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, do the 48 hour to get a feel for your consumption. Then get all the parameters up to where you want them, one at a time separated by a few hours. I'd get mag up first to where you want it, then the other 2. From there, it should be easy to maintain the levels.

OP
OP
T

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's the plan. Did that a few months ago. Then the Triton came and I got lazy / greedy. Slowly watched my consumption skyrocket!

OP
OP
T

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plugging the information you've provided into our reefing calculator (estimating 160 gallons of actual water volume to account for rock/sand displacement), it would take ~342 ml to raise your tank by 3 dKH. 300-500 ml is a big range, but that 3 dKH is an ultra high consumption rate. Even fully stocked SPS tanks don't usually consume that much alkalinity. My guess is that you're seeing some precipitation.

We do have a short FAQ video where Ryan covers what this means and how to avoid it. You can see that video HERE.
Wanted to thank you for this and the link to the video. Added a small Powerhead in sump. Did a complete 48 measurement reset and Am now stabilized at about 1/4 the dose I was wasting 2 weeks ago. Phew!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to thank you for this and the link to the video. Added a small Powerhead in sump. Did a complete 48 measurement reset and Am now stabilized at about 1/4 the dose I was wasting 2 weeks ago. Phew!

Great news! Glad you were able to get it figured out. That's a much more reasonable dose :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back