Dosing oxygen???

michaelg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the CO2 scrubber- you will want to hook up something to regulate it as well (a solenoid but need one with a divertor) or your pH will go wicked high, and the media burns out pretty quickly. I chatted with the guys at BRS- they did this with their system it sounded like, so maybe ask them how they are controlling it. Should be doable with the apex and pH control, but the solenoid itself is a weird piece- want to to switch from pulling air through the scubber or not automatically.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Google is only your friend," if you can read between the lines, ask the right questions. And already have good understanding of basics. Otherwise, might scare newbys into wrong advice.
I thought people would just put sochting oxydators into google, my apologies if I have upset the experts (?).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the CO2 scrubber- you will want to hook up something to regulate it as well (a solenoid but need one with a divertor) or your pH will go wicked high, and the media burns out pretty quickly. I chatted with the guys at BRS- they did this with their system it sounded like, so maybe ask them how they are controlling it. Should be doable with the apex and pH control, but the solenoid itself is a weird piece- want to to switch from pulling air through the scubber or not automatically.

FWIW, I've never heard of anyone who had the pH rise from too low (say, below pH 8.0) to too high (say, above pH 8.55) using a CO2 scrubber.

I agree it is expensive and you may not want to use it when the pH reaches a certain point from a cost perspective.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That really isn't a requirement at all for 90% of people. I explained earlier in this thread how to make media last longer. Make the skimmer pull air from the skimmer cup and put the co2 scrubber somewhere in between the skimmer cup and the Venturi.

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the question "Is the O2 saturation point of seawater harmful to fish?"

***the clarification needs to be the maximum saturation possible " which may be a bit higher temporary in certain circumstances, temperatures, salinities, and regions" in SW ,Vs normal Levels in ocean surface SW. were talking normal saturation levels. Saturation may not be the best term as it indicates maxed out. maybe we say normal level from here out.

Not to my knowledge as normal "LEVELS" exists on the surfaces of the ocean. But in our closed systems which lack the volume and stability of the ocean and have the added c02 of enclosed spaces, often 02 is below its normal saturated levels. With an oxydator you occasionally "normally during the peak of the photo period when most of the c02 is being removed by biological process in the water column" reach saturation when the generator is off gassing small bubbles to the surface instead of them being dissolved into the water column. which is also why just dumping in a shot glass full of h202" most of which just escapes to the surface with out dissolving into the water column, is minimally effective. Vs dosing .05 ML per hour sort of method. where the uptake can happen more slowly since 02 does not dissolve well in salt water like c02 does. i don't believe H202 is a viable method to save a power out type scenario for very long maybe buy you a few hours at most. critters eat up the 02 fast if good water flow and aeration stops. I hate C02 BTW.. the devil i tell you.

Love this topic BTW and fully believe one step better than skimmer to out side for air, intake is a method of running bath room fans or something to reduce whole house c02 for your health and the tank. I have a fancy ERV "Energy recovery ventilation" system but have not installed it yet. and spray foam insulation. very very tight house is great for ac bill, but bad for c02 pollution!

Last edited:

Boom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats it! I'm getting a co2 meter. My boyfriend doesn't believe we have high levels in the house --at night especially. Unless the weather is perfect outside, he gets raving mad when doors or windows are left open. Wind out here blows copious amounts of dust, pollen, flies, scorpions crawl inside. I try to "scrub"indoor air with many (well fertilized) houseplants lit with 6500led bulbs on timers, run bathroom and laundry room fans when he's gone, ALWAYS the stove hood fan when cooking with gas, sneakily crack the window over my side of the bed... it's still not enough!
I'm seriously thinking of setting up our home office like a growroom but on a reverse light cycle. I'll make a house refugium to complement the tank's fuge!
Maybe seeing a co2 meter's numbers, he might tolerate the dust and scorpions, so I can open a %@$%#*÷ window and not have more @#$#@% plants to water.

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats it! I'm getting a co2 meter. My boyfriend doesn't believe we have high levels in the house --at night especially. Unless the weather is perfect outside, he gets raving mad when doors or windows are left open. Wind out here blows copious amounts of dust, pollen, flies, scorpions crawl inside. I try to "scrub"indoor air with many (well fertilized) houseplants lit with 6500led bulbs on timers, run bathroom and laundry room fans when he's gone, ALWAYS the stove hood fan when cooking with gas, sneakily crack the window over my side of the bed... it's still not enough!
I'm seriously thinking of setting up our home office like a growroom but on a reverse light cycle. I'll make a house refugium to complement the tank's fuge!
Maybe seeing a co2 meter's numbers, he might tolerate the dust and scorpions, so I can open a %@$%#*÷ window and not have more @#$#@% plants to water.

[emoji23][emoji23] I cant handle it boom, that made me laugh.

Tigweldpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I was going to start a thread to see what you thought about oxidator usage but I think here is a fine place for a post.

So what's the verdict on the Sochting oxidators? They have no use in reef aquaria..... Do they even have a use in freshwater?
I use them in my freshwater neocaradina shrimp tanks and always have.... The cost is pennies per year, but is it just a waste of time?
Can they keep waters oxygenated in the case of a power outage.....

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sochting-oxidator-advice-needed-please.283145/

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Oxydators in my marine tanks for over 25years and wouldn't run a tank without one. To answer you last question about keeping water oxygenated in a power cut, most certainly they can.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the CO2 scrubber- you will want to hook up something to regulate it as well (a solenoid but need one with a divertor) or your pH will go wicked high,.
Been running mine for about 3 months now with no controller and I have not had that problem at all.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Fauna Marin Skim Breeze CO2 scrubber.
co2 scrubber.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Oxydators in my marine tanks for over 25years and wouldn't run a tank without one. To answer you last question about keeping water oxygenated in a power cut, most certainly they can.

What do you consider the benefits to be?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider the benefits to be?
Raised redox, raised O2 levels, similar to O3, with the Oxydator, oxidates organics, cheap, efficient, trouble-free, no controller required, helps reduce stress in newly introduced fish, aids nuisance algae reduction like cyno. peroxide readily available cheaply.
Oxydators are part of my disease prevention method as I never quarantine my fish and haven't had an issue with disease of my fish since using them along with my other methods which I have been practising for over 25 years similar to paul B.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back