Doublechecking Digital Refractometer

Muffin87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
471
Reaction score
282
Location
Italy / UK
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already own a delicate, glass hydrometer from Dupla. Plan on buying a digital refractometer, the Hanna one specifically.

Should I own a handheld refractometer to double check the digital refractometer?
The Vee Gee STX-3 is a bit of an investment, but I can't doublecheck with the hydrometer when treating fish in hyposalinity.
 
No I wouldn’t !, the Hanna and your glass hydrometer as back up should be sufficient. I like my Hanna as it blows away a refractometer in my option
 
Hanna HI96822 Digital Refractometer for Seawater Analysis

I’ve not used it as I prefer using conductivity, but it appears to be an identical unit to the Milwaukee MA887 device.

Note that both have a wide range of allowed error:


Salinity Accuracy±2 PSU; ±2 ppt
 
I really like the hanna handheld salinity (EC/conductivity) tester. #HI98319.

get some calibration fluid to check it every now and again. I've gone to using it as my main salinity checker now. Its just too convenient not too.

Salinity Accuracy±1 ppt for 0.0 to 40.0 ppt; ±2 ppt for readings over 40.0 ppt; ±1 PSU for 0.0 to 40.0 PSU ; ±2 PSU for readings over 40.0 PSU; ±0.001 S.G.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new