Dr Tim's failing to work.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see updates with life in the tank on the timed date, we have a ten page thread on these type of test - independent starts and it will be neat to see if this pattern holds and at ten pages all tanks just like yours I truly expect it will, not a wild guess with your cash it’s in line with the others. If this was two days, no motion, and the full water change trick we might be concerned but not fifteen.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed dr tims ammonia and yes dry rock and sand was used. Thanks for the reply
Adding a second thought: if you ammonia is dropping to 1ppm, the problem may be with establishing nitrifying bacteria. You could try something like macrobacter7 or fritz turbostart to speed the cycle up

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now on Day 9 of Dr tim's one and only alongside Dr Tim's Ammonia.

I have been reading exactly the same since day 1.

Now on day 9 - here are my test results from day 1 onwards to today

Temp 27c (elevated slightly as per Dr Tim's instructions)
Salinity 1.024 (lowered slightly but not to extent Dr tim suggests)
PH 7.8-8.0
Ammonia constantly reading 1 - 2 ppm
Nitrite never read any I.E 0 ppm
Nitrate again 0ppm

Sorry, forgot to add using API saltwater master kit. I have used Salifert in the past and personally don't like them, so went back to API which I used to use for tropical.

Now added Fluval cycle to try and boost the bacteria and still no change at all.

Anyone with any ideas, I would appreciate a bit of help on this.

Thank you in advance.
Hi
Do these things.
Your cycle has stalled.

1. Drop salinity to 1.015-18
2. Bring alk up to 11 dkh
3. Start adding a pinch of fish food daily to tank

This will get that Cycle going again.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck trying Dr. Tims here either. Went with Fritz turbo start and it cycled fast. Best of luck
1617635039442.png

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been 4 or 5 that I’ve noticed since Christmas on R2R with similar problems. I wonder what ratio that is, to the amount they’ve sold?
After Fritrs Turbostart 900, Dr Tim's one and only is probable 2nd best product I have tested along with Bio Spira which was also produced by Dr Tim.

There are many variables that make these products work.
1. All these products recommend dosing and adding fish to tank.
Most hobbyist dose ammonia and dose bacteria and wait for Cycle. That is not the correct way.

If you are going to do that then certain things need to be done for Cycle to continue.

Which are.

1. Salinity needs to be lowered
2. pH and Alk needs to be higher
3. Add carbon source by adding food daily.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve definitely got something going on by the coloration of the background. Wonder if your LFS is open to do some quick tests for you?
had tests done at LFS, with salifert.

Pretty much in line with my API. 0 nitrate, very low trace nitrite, and still around 1 ppm ammonia. PH 8.3

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Do these things.
Your cycle has stalled.

1. Drop salinity to 1.015-18
2. Bring alk up to 11 dkh
3. Start adding a pinch of fish food daily to tank

This will get that Cycle going again.
Hi, I thought it had stalled. thanks for reply, sorry just seen this had a lot of replies, which I appreciate.

How do I increase ALK?

Thank you for the reply.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a second thought: if you ammonia is dropping to 1ppm, the problem may be with establishing nitrifying bacteria. You could try something like macrobacter7 or fritz turbostart to speed the cycle up
Yeah was thinking of something else to be added. Looking at a few including Microbacter, wanted the extra advice here before I started adding other stuff.

Thank you.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been 4 or 5 that I’ve noticed since Christmas on R2R with similar problems. I wonder what ratio that is, to the amount they’ve sold?
I would like to see the data in full. This stuff makes a lot of claims, wonder if it's just very good marketing and high priced snake oil lol.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a wonderful example of the continued confusion surrounding cycling in this hobby. You do not need to jump through a flaming hoop while juggling knives to cycle your tank. Just follow the advice of @brandon429 and you'll be good to go. He has an unmatched passion for reef tank cycling and algae control. No need to mess with alkalinity etc...

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a wonderful example of the continued confusion surrounding cycling in this hobby. You do not need to jump through a flaming hoop while juggling knives to cycle your tank. Just follow the advice of @brandon429 and you'll be good to go. He has an unmatched passion for reef tank cycling and algae control.
You're right, I am totally confused lol. My last tank cycled so easily.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost seems like you've got a bad batch or something. Maybe it's an expired bottle? Are you shaking it before adding it to the tank? Remember that the bacteria needs a source of nutrients (ammonia) to sustain its colony. Seems like it may be crashing on you. I would also recommend Bio-Spira and have had nothing but great success with it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i find amazing is how the formal writing/ publishing of rules just *stopped* meaning this discovery set is for and from web threads. Fastest evolvers of the hobby ever seen.

I know some rules have been published such as nitrite but now we need updated ones in print to acknowledge those who never owned nor ran the test, and reef equally well. The #1 thing about cycling all folks disagree on is the allowed, ethical start date. We each have our selected rationale for discerning the safe start date

Stalls can happen on wastewater, but if we just change that out what's left behind is a functioning biofilter.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost seems like you've got a bad batch or something. Maybe it's an expired bottle? Are you shaking it before adding it to the tank? Remember that the bacteria needs a source of nutrients (ammonia) to sustain its colony. Seems like it may be crashing on you. I would also recommend Bio-Spira and have had nothing but great success with it.
I thought it was a bad batch. I shook the hell out of it lol. It was still well in-date.

Been given a few that people recommend. I might buy one of each and throw it all in hahahahahaha

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a bad batch. I shook the hell out of it lol. It was still well in-date.

Been given a few that people recommend. I might buy one of each and throw it all in hahahahahaha

You can't really overdose bacteria. What I do is use Bio-Spira on day one. Full bottle. Then I dose Seachem Stability for a few days. Done. Worked 100% every time.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really overdose bacteria. What I do is use Bio-Spira on day one. Full bottle. Then I dose Seachem Stability for a few days. Done. Worked 100% every time.
Definitely anything is worth a try if in a couple of days I still haven't had any change I will try a combination of things advised here.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't looking at "speeding it up" More concerned that it is stuck. But yeah would be nice hahaha. But, lights? I was under the impression lights would attract Algae?
Lights does not help with establishing nitrifiers. Well technically it may hamper nitrification (or at least ammonia oxidation: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0304420385900520), but it may not play too big a role in cycling either way. I suppose theoretically if you have the lights on, the lights could affect the nitrifiers while they float around in the water column. But once they colonize the rocks and biomedia and stuff, it's probably the same either way.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights does not help with establishing nitrifiers. Well technically it may hamper nitrification (or at least ammonia oxidation: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0304420385900520), but it may not play too big a role in cycling either way. I suppose theoretically if you have the lights on, the lights could affect the nitrifiers while they float around in the water column. But once they colonize the rocks and biomedia and stuff, it's probably the same either way.
will have a read of the link you sent.

thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back