Failed Dr. Tim's: Follow-on Product?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bear22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
To Fish Fan and Nanosteam: thanks for your insights and help with the product in question.
You're welcome, I hope I was some help. Good luck with your cycle.
 
Guys,

I have attempted a cycle with Dr. Tim's cycling product and it's been an abject failed attempt.

Particulars:
9 days getting an ammonia indication (still).
9 days no nitrites detected.
Water temp raised to 85 degrees.
Salinity lowered to .021-.022
Water flow maximum.
No media added.
No light period.
Dry rock and sand bed present.

I am using unexpired API kits for detection not measuring (so please don't waste time discussing the merits of API test kits; that's been beat to death ad nauseam and point in fact Dr. Tim says they're good enough for detection).

Is this Fritz 900 turbo product worth looking into?

TIA,
G
Save yourself a lot of trouble and see if you can get a piece of live rock from someones established system. You can even try a LFS and ask if you can get a piece of rock from their frag sump.
 
Did you add both Dr. Tim's One and Only product with the nitrifying bacteria, as well as his bottled ammonium chloride?

I don't think there's anything to worry about, a fishless cycle like this with Dr. Tim's products typically takes about 3 weeks or so.

If it helps, you really don't have to worry about nitrite, it's non toxic in saltwater tanks, and many here don't test for it. Here's a link with more info on that:
https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/4805029/
You simply need to wait for the ammonia to come down to nearly zero and then you can add some hardy livestock. I say "nearly zero" because, well, the API kit does indeed often show a result of about 0.25 ppm ammonia when other indicators would suggest the actual concentration is considerably lower. Even if real, ammonia at 0.25 ppm isn't really dangerous, so you could still proceed with some light stocking. And, I personally do not hate on API kits, they are not the best, but they get an unnecessary bad rap here on R2R, in my humble opinion.

The one thing to know about nitrite is that when it's present, if causes an artificially high result for nitrate testing. For that reason, you can't know your real nitrate concentration until the nitrite has gone down to zero. For that one reason, you *may* wish to test for nitrite towards the end of your cycle.

To answer your question about the Fritz product, yes, it is indeed said to work much faster than Dr. Tim's, so if you're really in a hurry you could try adding some. But please know that the Fritz product doesn't really provide the nitrifying bacteria that you want long term, it's more of a band-aid. The Dr. Tim's One and Only is said to have the correct species of bacteria that we're ultimately trying to grow.

I would personally just stick out the Dr. Tim's cycle for a couple more weeks, but you could add the Fritz product if you want to progress more quickly.

I hope that helps, and good luck!
Yes, I have been using the ammonium chloride drops per Dr. Tim's. Maybe Dr. Tim needs to adjust/bias the "expectation" schedule that reflects user experiences.

I have to say, in times past using good ole fashion Bio Spira has given me better results (fresh & salt) at a much lower price point.

I'd really like to advance the ball a bit by adding copepods prior to livestock. Does the tank need to be fully and completely cycled before doing so or are these guys hardy enough to put up with some NO2/NO3 (assuming I actually make some progress with Dr. Tim's)?

Thanks!
His directions when you scan the QR code clearly tell you it takes 3 weeks? Did you scan the qr on the bottle and read the link appropriate to you?
 
His directions when you scan the QR code clearly tell you it takes 3 weeks? Did you scan the qr on the bottle and read the link appropriate to you?
I downloaded the pdf instructions and the product lays out the expected progress day by day. I don't have it right in front of me at the moment, but I should have been seeing a NO2 indication around day 4-5 IIRC. I am 10 days into the process and no NO2 indications. Plus, I watched a few user experiences and suggestions via YT. Read the thread in its entirety please.
 
I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed it so apologies if you already have an acceptable solution. Dr Tims is one of the slowest products. There is a bacteria testing thread with lots of good info.
Fritz turbo start works much quicker as well as bio-spira if you can get it.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...-equal-whos-who-and-what-do-they-need.989780/

No worries. I actually ordered some of the Fritz 900 stuff, so we'll see. As a note of interest: I've had 100% success with Biospira both with reef tanks and planted aquariums in the past. Not sure why the product went away.
 
Folks, you are wasting your time and energy trying to help this guy. He doesn't want help, his intent was to slam the product and rant, sniping at people who are genuinely trying to help.

I am 10 days into the process and no NO2 indications.
Because you appear to have inadvertently seeded a heterotrophic bloom instead of a burgeoning nitrification system, regardless of the label directions and advertised contents of the bottle.

But none of us can be certain, because you are too busy blustering, deflecting and posturing to actually participate in a meaningful conversation. Please stop being a jerk to people who are offering good faith responses under the assumption that you are seeking help and want to be part of a constructive discussion.
 
Folks, you are wasting your time and energy trying to help this guy. He doesn't want help, his intent was to slam the product and rant, sniping at people who are genuinely trying to help.


Because you appear to have inadvertently seeded a heterotrophic bloom instead of a burgeoning nitrification system, regardless of the label directions and advertised contents of the bottle.

But none of us can be certain because you are too busy blustering and posturing to actually participate in a meaningful conversation. Please stop being a jerk to people who are offering good faith responses under the assumption that you want are seeking help and want to be part of a constructive discussion.
My God dude; you really got your cage rattled didn't you? Maybe you should seek out some therapy with coping with a bloviated ego or something.
 
That’s just combative projection and it confirms my point.

Nobody here has anything invested in your tank or anything to prove. We responded because you asked for help. By your own admission you’ve been brash and combative in return.

Most of us simply care about participating in conversations to both help and learn -- with the understanding that these threads also help countless others looking for similar information or solutions.

I wasn’t being coy or insulting when I suggested Reddit might be more appropriate for your style of responding. I was being frank.

Happy Reefing....
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new