Dr tims one and only cycling

Jarbour88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that dr tim says this cycle will finish in about a week but it has been about 3 weeks now and my ammonia levels dont seem to be reducing while my nitrites and nitrates rise. Any advice?

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear Dr. Tim is good stuff but personally never had to use it. It can take up to 6 weeks. Bacteria need to grow in the tank for it to work and this process happens naturally on its own.

Raise the temperature of the water to 80°F. This will encourage the growth of good bacteria and speedup the cycling process (assuming you have no live stock). You have plenty of rock / media yes?

You shouldn't waste tests on nitrites and nitrates until you see ammonia levels drop.

Curious to know if other had success with Dr. Tim with a full cycle in a week. That's sounds too good to be true.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that dr tim says this cycle will finish in about a week but it has been about 3 weeks now and my ammonia levels dont seem to be reducing while my nitrites and nitrates rise. Any advice?

If nitrites and nitrates are rising that means ammonia is being used, just probably not that fast.

If you use an overwhelming amount of ammonia, it can actually stall or slow the cycle to a halt. I believe if you have something near 8 ppm ammmonia. I'd have to look at Dr. Tim's site again but if your initial ammonia is real high or if your nitrites gets near 5 ppm, your cycle slows to a turtle like pace, stretching your cycling period way beyond the 1 week.

At the same time, not every bottle will contain the same amount of bacteria. If you have a bottle that wasn't stored properly, it may be just far less bacteria.

However, test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. We'll need to see numbers to confirm things.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ammonia level did you start with?
What is it now?
How much rock and sand do you have?
What test kit are you using?
Have you added any other additive (prime, ect...)

ohlero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used it I took about 3 weeks for the tank to be completely cycled.

U

User1

View Badges
I have used the product in my 210 upgrade and it took about 20 to 28 days if I recall correctly. I went fishless so dosed ammonia to 4 ppm per instructions. Then tested for ammonia every two days until it went to 0. Then dosed again to 4 ppm and then tested in 24 hours. I wait until it again reached 0. Then dosed another 4 ppm ammonia and it cleared it in less than 24 hours. I knew the base cycle was done. All in all about 20 - 28 days.

I think left the tank alone to do its thing for another month or so. Then powered on the lights, skimmer, and performed the upgrade. It is good product. Works well. I do not believe it is as fast as they say but fishless worked. There is a thread here when a member did some tests side by side using this product along with the fritz turbo 9000. That product, turbo 9000, cycled in less than a day if I recall correctly. May need to search on it.

OP
OP
Jarbour88

Jarbour88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 40 gallon tank with arag alive sand and 50 lbs of dry rock. Based on the api test kit i have been stuck at 2ppm ammonia for over a week even with rising nitrite and nitrate levels. The ph is at 8 and all I have running is a heater and 2 wave makers.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used dr tims to cycle 3 reefs, and 2 freshwater systems. Cycling ranged anywhere from 7 days to 30. But it took an average of 14 days.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 40 gallon tank with arag alive sand and 50 lbs of dry rock. Based on the api test kit i have been stuck at 2ppm ammonia for over a week even with rising nitrite and nitrate levels. The ph is at 8 and all I have running is a heater and 2 wave makers.

Ammonia is falling, the increase in nitrite and nitrate are evidence of it but what I think is happening is your live sand may have died somewhat and is fueling ammonia to replace what is being consumed. I think it was Dr. Tim who talked about this in a video I was watching recently about the usage of live sand with bottled bacteria products.

For now, just let bacteria work out all the ammonia. Don't add anymore ammonia at this point in time. If nitrite exceeds 5 ppm, do a water change to bring it back under 5 ppm. Otherwise just wait for the bacteria to clear everything out.

Another Newbie Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took about 2 weeks, then I dosed ammonia and gave it another week just to be sure. Did you use any live rock/sand?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water are you using? Ro/Di or treated tap water? If you are using Seachem Prime to treat your water, your ammonia test readings will be off.

OP
OP
Jarbour88

Jarbour88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is now down to 0 ammonia, nitrite is at about 1ppm and nitrate at 40. I read that saltwater fish are safe in low nitrite. Is this correct and am I safe to add 2 clowns and add my biological filter media?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Good to go.
I would change out 75% to 80 % of that water and try to get nitrates down to 5. No need to start off with conditions that encourage algae.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites don't have to be zero before adding some sort of livestock????? I have two fighting conches that I've been keeping alive from the tank I tore down a few months ago and they would LOVE to go into a big tank, but I was afraid for them with still having nitrites. Plus, would they starve to death in a virgin tank? I guess I could drop in sinking pellets for them?

And lastly, is it ok to add macroalgae into my refugium while I still have nitrites?
Sue

Back