DREAM FISH: You finally we're able to do it!! Tell us about it!

Do you have your dream fish swimming in your tank right now?

• Yes I have my dream fish

Votes: 80 16.9%
  • No I don't have my dream fish but hopefully one day

Votes: 221 46.6%
  • I don't have any dream fish

Votes: 70 14.8%
  • I have many dream fishes yet to own

Votes: 103 21.7%

• Total voters

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-0905.jpg

The holy grail. Been in my acro tank for little time, but had him for over 1.5 years.

A wholesaler of mine got them dirt cheap. He just gave me one for free. Best looking Japanese Dragon Eel I have seen

I am eyeing this one from my local shop....... But it came in, and they are waiting for it to eat. So I am waiting and hoping.

They ok with your coral though? Not too destructive? This one has a cleaner shrimp that cleans its teeth!

19D12726-BB44-42FF-A5CC-9B483C3A83C0.jpeg
0C643CBA-A5B0-4BC1-A4E2-272742617D2D.jpeg
C70C7C58-300B-44BC-8EA4-599CB7EB35FC.jpeg

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am eyeing this one from my local shop....... But it came in, and they are waiting for it to eat. So I am waiting and hoping.

They ok with your coral though? Not too destructive? This one has a cleaner shrimp that cleans its teeth!

19D12726-BB44-42FF-A5CC-9B483C3A83C0.jpeg
0C643CBA-A5B0-4BC1-A4E2-272742617D2D.jpeg
C70C7C58-300B-44BC-8EA4-599CB7EB35FC.jpeg
Sometimes he knocks off a poorly glued acro, but other than that not destructive. He's safe with my wrasses, tang, CBB too. Mine ate the first day I got it. I soak my foods with astaxanthin powder to make him extra red. Mine's best buddies with a cleaner wrasse.

Boston reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol your gem tang is pretty aggressive? Do you have the Clarion in the tank with other angels? What size is your tank?
Yes he is pretty aggressive lol. Not like triggerfish aggressive, but let’s just say the other fish stay clear of the nori clip when the gem is grazing. I’ve had him for pretty much the same amount of time as the clarion so I’ve been able to see their interactions for years. My display is a 180 and the clarion is the only angel I currently keep. I don’t think he’d get along with another angel tbh.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is pretty aggressive lol. Not like triggerfish aggressive, but let’s just say the other fish stay clear of the nori clip when the gem is grazing. I’ve had him for pretty much the same amount of time as the clarion so I’ve been able to see their interactions for years. My display is a 180 and the clarion is the only angel I currently keep. I don’t think he’d get along with another angel tbh.
Nice. I have a 205 gallon that i’m Getting ready to set up. I’m trying to figure out what fish I want, so that I make sure that I put them in the tank in the right order, to help lower the stress level. I also want to make sure that I have all the right filtration as well. The Clarion and gem tang are still both in the mix of the fish that i’m trying to decide on.

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 years in the making - my Achilles Tang in action.

I did battle with the usual suspects along the way - mostly ich - but have him in a 10 foot tank with 6 MP-60's and tons of rotating flow to play in. It was the primary intent of building this tank to keep it tang heavy so I was feeling like it was the time to give it one more shot.

The amount of food/nori has had a negative impact on my coral health but with so anthias (more than 20) and so many tangs (5 yellow, 2 hippo, 2 purple, chevron, yellow shoulder, sohal, and achilles) it is worth it.

achilles.jpg

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 years in the making - my Achilles Tang in action.

I did battle with the usual suspects along the way - mostly ich - but have him in a 10 foot tank with 6 MP-60's and tons of rotating flow to play in. It was the primary intent of building this tank to keep it tang heavy so I was feeling like it was the time to give it one more shot.

The amount of food/nori has had a negative impact on my coral health but with so anthias (more than 20) and so many tangs (5 yellow, 2 hippo, 2 purple, chevron, yellow shoulder, sohal, and achilles) it is worth it.

achilles.jpg
Wow!!! That looks amazing! Are you thinking of adding any other tangs? What kind of anthias do you have?

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! That looks amazing! Are you thinking of adding any other tangs? What kind of anthias do you have?

Thank you for the kind words. I actually don't plan on adding any more fish at all. I've reached that spot where there is nothing I would want enough to justify 'upsetting the apple cart'....

As for anthias, I have:
- squarespot
- Bimac's
- Sunburst
- Evansi
- Carberryi
- Lyretail
- Bartletts
- Dispar's

I would really like some deepwater/blotched anthias but see my earlier comment about not addinganything else..... You can see a few of the anthias here.
IMG_2320.png

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words. I actually don't plan on adding any more fish at all. I've reached that spot where there is nothing I would want enough to justify 'upsetting the apple cart'....

As for anthias, I have:
- squarespot
- Bimac's
- Sunburst
- Evansi
- Carberryi
- Lyretail
- Bartletts
- Dispar's

I would really like some deepwater/blotched anthias but see my earlier comment about not addinganything else..... You can see a few of the anthias here.
IMG_2320.png
Wow!!!! That’s the look that I’m looking for from the anthias when it comes time to add fish to my tank. My display tank is 205 gallons. How big is yours?
As for not adding new tangs, that makes complete sense. If they’re all getting along fine, why jeopardize that by adding 1-2 more tangs. You have a beautiful tank. I would love to see more photos of all your fish

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 Gem Tangs on a Black Friday sale. They were $200 each and a decent size, (around 3.5 inches). After a 3 plus hour acclimation they were both eating. It's been a little over 3 weeks and they are both doing very well.

20191129_144504.jpg

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 215 gallon with 330 gals total system volume. I would have normally only purchased one Gem Tang but at that price I couldn't resist the temptation of purchasing 2. I love the Achilles Tang as well but I feel my tank is too small for them and after a few attempts I've decided they are not suited to my system besides being very difficult to maintain, at least for me.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream fish is a Moorish Idol which I’ve had for a few months now. He’s huge and doesn’t mind biting anyone who gets between him and food. I had a black tang that passed and would love another one and maybe a gem tang. Always loved the hybrid powder blues and Sohal tangs. The two I had were rear ends and ended up in someone else’s tank. I’ve upgraded and have thought about adding another one, but I hate looking at a tank full of fish fighting.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My dream fish are fry hatched in my tank from one of the following species of clownfish:
  • Amphiprion akindynos
  • Amphiprion chrysogaster
  • Amphiprion leucokranos
  • Amphiprion rubrocinctus

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 Gem Tangs on a Black Friday sale. They were $200 each and a decent size, (around 3.5 inches). After a 3 plus hour acclimation they were both eating. It's been a little over 3 weeks and they are both doing very well.

20191129_144504.jpg
Sweet deal. Both went into the same tank? Any issues between them? What size is your tank? Any other tangs in with them?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back