drooping colt

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this coral on Sat. The smaller one came off the larger one during handling. It had a thin hard part, part of what the other also had on it--assuming it was part of the base of whatever held the two together. I glued to the rubble rock but I'm wondering if I did not glue the right spot as it's drooping. Should I try to upright it and add a small rubble rock to the set up and reglue it so it's more upright? It was my first time glueing. Any suggestions welcome

Also have 2 acros on the bottom of the sand bed. How long before a start moving them up. I have a duncan as well and I know whwere that one goes--about 5 inchs off the sandbed. The colt might stay on the sand in a corner.

20170327_101040_resized.jpg

20170327_101101_resized.jpg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start with tank parameters

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start moving the sps up today, put them mid part of your tank for ~2 days and then move them to their final position, that should be more than enough acclimation for them (unless you have some extremely intense lights)

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start moving the sps up today, put them mid part of your tank for ~2 days and then move them to their final position, that should be more than enough acclimation for them (unless you have some extremely intense lights)
Colt coral is a type of soft coral, but I agree with you it needs to be moved up. Colt typically required higher flow and being at the bottom of the sandbed it probably isn't getting enough.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zack Klabunde Ugh I hate when I lose what I've typed. As the other piece is doing fine, I don't think it's the water. I think the head is too heavy, though it wasn't drooping this much when I added it. I'm thinking I did not glue it in the right place. There was a thin pc of hard coral on the 'bottom' of the pc when it broke off and I glued that to the rubble. Maybe I should have glued it flat and not on the side? Will it reach up for the light? Should I move it a bit higher? Put it where it gets more flow?

Am 0 I have been doing battle since a tiger tail died somewhere under hte rock and i can't remove it to find it. Tank is settling back out. If number creep back up I use prime and water changes
no2 0
no3 10 Gets up to 20. Water changes every 2-3 days. Did one yesterday as I had also used chemi clean.

just dosed kent 2 part
alk 9.8 up from 7
cal 400
mag 1200
ph 8

I wasn't dosing as I was trying to deal with the mini cycle and the cyano. Back to doing so.

The other pc is doing fine. They came off hte same frag. I also glued the big pc o nto the rubble rock has it had very little base--just a couple of thin hard pcs on bottom.

I thought to keep it in sand in a corner but maybe it needs more light right now? More flow? That is a low flow area.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, as my lighting is t5's and not super intense, and under general advice here and another forum, I've placed the corals. Not epoxied but moved. The acros on the highest rock. Moved the xenia down. Colt on the shelf where it gets more flow and more light, though most research said low light was okay. The duncan is up about 5 inches and in some good flow but not blasted. The small green acro is already starting to open. It's likes being king of the tank. the duncan has also expanded greatly. I also fed it early when I fed everyone else so it really seems pleased. the colt about the same. I hope the rubble rock its on it heavy enough to keep it from being knocked off. the icky netting is to keep my gbta off the powerhead. I should post what it is and where I got it. Works great so far.

Can the colt share the rock with the green star polyps? The colt is on a pretty large pc of rubble rock. or would that put it too close to the acro rock. You can see the gsp in the pic below

20170327_143640_resized.jpg
20170327_143650_resized.jpg
20170327_143656_resized.jpg
20170327_151553_resized.jpg
20170327_151758_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoo hoo, the second acro is sprouting <g> Can't really see just looking but the camera sure catches it
20170327_155825_001_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can a duncan share a rock with gps? Moved the colt or kenya down to the pukani as it is recommended to be lower third of tank and put the duncan just below the shelf (no plug holes on shelf). Thinking it could to on rock with gps if I put it on a pc of rubble to get it a bit higher and epoxy it to the back of the rock the gps is on for some height as they like the mid third of tank.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching the two corals seems to be working. The colt or kenya, whichever it is as I'm not sure, is extending, even the drooper has extended. Hope it decides to straighten...

And the Duncan is opening after moving it. My thought is to glue it to a rubble rock and afix it to the back of the rock where the gps is which allows the gps to have most of that rock, and the duncan to go above it. Right now the frag is in a niche between shelf and rock to hold it in place to see if it likes the flow and lighting. Appears so far to do so. Ran out of expoxy last night doing the 2 apos

The other good rock for the duncan might be the top above the torch, between the acro rock and the rock with the torch beneath. I'm not sure the sweepers of the torch can go up and over if I use that crevice between the rocks. But the duncan might blot out the acros if I put it there. Opinions?
20170328_114756_resized.jpg
20170328_113518_resized.jpg
20170328_113533_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I made a map of my aquarium. The lfs was impressed that I came in with a picture of my tank <g>. So I added the new corals and added text and a plan of next batches. My gbta doesn't show here and lord knows where it will go next or if it will even be alive tomorrow!!!

I want sections of like corals, not a random mix. Neat and tidy (and no, I'm not ocd. At least not in many areas <g>)

So far, the new corals are happy. I've epoxied the apros and then ran out of stuff. The colt is very happy on the pc of pukani. Even the drooper (one that broke off and I did my first glue) is starting to lift its branches. When I'm ready to attach, I'll shift the angles a git so they are pointing more upward. Don't want to disturb them if I don't have too at this point.

the only coral I've not decided on placement is the Duncan. Two heads are open and happ yall the time. Other 4 open and close. Not sure if they keep getting irritated by fish or are just a bit too high for lighting on that end. I stuck it there as it is the only place I can poke the plug and have it stay. The other 2 choices have to safe way to wedge in and keep it from falling, unless I try a rubber band around plug and back pc of rock of choice 1 to see what it thinks of that location.

My choices of permenant places are listed on the map below. Forgot to put an arrow at choice 3

1-behind the rock where the gps is. I plan to glue it to rubble rock to make it a bit taller and then I can poxy it just behind or on top. Gps can grow below and even on the rubble but I can keep it off the plug1-right below on that ledge. It's a bit lower from lighting but flow should be good there

2-crevice between 2 rocks right below acros and above torch. I think it's far enough not to get stung and not too close to the acros. but not too sure on that

3-below on shelf under it's present temp. position. Not sure if that would be too low, as I can't block the swim thru--my tang would not be a happy camper--favorite shortcut.

My first choice is to share the gps rock, second by the acros. Right now, there are no hammers or frogspawn or montipora but I have places to put them <g>. Didn't add anemones as they'll go where they want to go

index.php

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was gone all day today, and very nervous about it--first day away in a long time--. No time to test water or do a water change as I'd prob. have done one yesterday. Came home and my poor Duncan had gotten knocked off the rock. Put him back up (need apoxy) and he started extending. But the joy? My drooping colt recovered and both were looking beautiful!!

Will go mix salt, water is heated, and water change and test tomorrow. and dose if need be, which I'm sure I will have too.... Sort of wishing I'd glued the broken off pc (lighter one) onto its own rubble rock. But they should look nice together too. Will poxy them down right where they are, just adjusting the angle a bit.

What kinds of epoxy can I use in a reef tank. I have no fish store local, don't think petsmart carries it and don't like what amazon has.

My tank survived the day without me. I want to ck the acros under lighting tomorrow. Seems maybe the green one is bleaching a bit. Maybe I need to block the light a bit? No time to test today. Nitrates are running a bit high--10-20 but I'm wc'ing every 2-3 days and using prime. Will see where I stand tomorrow. Everything else looks extremely happy--all other fish, coral and inverts. Even the anemone is still hanging in there.
20170329_204932_resized_1.jpg

Ian T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My soft coral has been drooping for a couple of days now. Is positioned at the top of the tank, about 5 months it has been upright & swells up ok. Good water flow, water parameters are good. Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure @Ian T My colts, the ones I originally posted about, responded to moving up into more light and more flow. Are your corals getting good flow? What kind of soft coral, do you know? Mine all droop a bit after lights out but pop back up after lights on. I reread the thread and had to laugh at myself. Must have been one of my first/early posts when everything about this hobby.

Ian T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan
I can never remember the name of the coral, hopefully someone can identify from the picture I posted.
It is in good flow at the top of the tank, and actually looks slightly better today, so maybe it was having an off day

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think softies do this. I can't tell from the pic what kind. Do you have a pic of it before drooping? When it recovers, post a pic in the soft coral forum to get an id, then you get info on it online

Back