Dropped Scissors in Sump Last Week - Gulp!

  • Thread starter Thread starter samba_dad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

samba_dad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 6, 2014
Messages
475
Reaction score
156
Location
Huntsville, Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a real bummer today. I was putting some miracle mud in my sumps refugium and I found a pair of scissors sitting in the bottom of my sump underneath my filter socks. I think they were there for almost a week and had started to rust on the screw that holds the blades together. I am still in the middle of my build and do not have any livestock in the tank. However, now I am concerned I have contaminated the water and rock in the DT with some heavy metal. Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them before? How bad is this for my almost finished setup? Now I know what a surgeon must feel like when they leave a sponge or other instrument in a patient. Argh. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to recover from this problem.
 
Should be fine unless you see any brass or copper on them anywhere but I doubt they do
 
You are fine. Rust is ferric oxide, also known as GFO in the aquarium industry. We use it to bind with and remove phosphates from the water by running our water through reactors filled with granular ferric oxide.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new