Dry rock curing/cycling

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 40 pounds of dry rock from Amazon for a reef tank I am setting up (https://www.amazon.com/Worldwide-Im...eywords=atlantic+coral+rock+worldwide+imports). I rinsed the rocks in RODI water several times to remove any free floating debris out. My question is, since it's dry rock and I don't see any dead sponges or anything at all on the rocks really, should I still cure it before starting to cycle the tank?

I have a brute 32G trash can ready for curing, do I soak it in RODI water with a heater and power head for a week or so before doing the same in salt water or just start the cycling process since its dry and thoroughly rinsed?

I am still doing my research on reef keeping and taking it very slowly, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Resized_20170814_143444.jpg

Resized_20170814_143357.jpg

20170814_1436391.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared for a plethora of feedback on this one. If it was me, and i've taken this approach before, I would rinse the rock then submerge it completely in a water/bleach mix for a week, doesn't have to be RODI. Then rinse in RODI thoroughly, soak another few days in RODI, rinse again and repeat for a full week. IMO at that point you're good to go.

I've taken this approach with live rock out of fear of adding unknowns into my display. Followed the same process as above, added it to the system and done, never had any issues. You'll likely receive recommendations to cure it, to each their own!

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared for a plethora of feedback on this one. If it was me, and i've taken this approach before, I would rinse the rock then submerge it completely in a water/bleach mix for a week, doesn't have to be RODI. Then rinse in RODI thoroughly, soak another few days in RODI, rinse again and repeat for a full week. IMO at that point you're good to go.

I've taken this approach with live rock out of fear of adding unknowns into my display. Followed the same process as above, added it to the system and done, never had any issues. You'll likely receive recommendations to cure it, to each their own!
Thanks, Cody, I get that it's better to be safe than sorry, my question is since it's not live rock, do I still apply the same approach? like your approach for thoroughness, sounds pretty fool proof to me.

Dhoggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a video in youtube about this :) I suggest you watch it as it is very informative...I believe they used dry rocks during the experiment

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Power washed, brush cleaned my dry Pukani. Could I cure my rock in tank therefor also starting the cycle?

Back