Dry rock in saltwater container

aandfsoccr04

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2012
Messages
304
Reaction score
140
Location
Virginia Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why exactly is the purpose of having dry rock sitting in a trash can or poly tank for several weeks or months running with just a powerhead before you put it inside of your tank?
 
One of the reasons is to dose phosphate removers to get it out of the rock so it doesn't leech out in tank
 
I do that to kill off as much algae as I can and also to let it cycle off whatever died during shipment.
 
You could measure it the same as if you were cycling in a tank if you are just looking to shorten your in-tank cycle. For me, I got the rock well before I was ready for the tank setup so it cooked for 6 months in the dark.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new