Duncan Coral Placement

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to place my new 2 headed duncan coral low in my 120 gallon but was wondering if i can attach it to a rock sideways so it won't be straight up and down. Is this ok or do the heads need to be facing the lights.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got mine mostly sideways (slightly up). They are doing great - developing new heads and all.

actually i will be like you not completely sideways but kind of on an angle. I have had them in the sandbed for 5 days now and have been happy all 5 so don't want to move them much higher.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever seen a major colony of duncans they can grow into a ball. Some face up, some horizontal, and
maxresdefault.jpg
some even downwards...

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great i guess i can go forward with my plan. I just have pre thought out where i want all my corals to go and this duncan fits best almost sideways coming off my rockwork.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g, my Duncan started out with 1 head about 5 months ago and had 15 heads as of 10/11/16. It is attached to a rock about 16 in below the water line and the lights are another 6 in above that. Maybe 22 in all below an ATI 48" 8x54W dimmable at 80%.

10-2-16.jpg

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read varying opinions on whether to place Duncans on the rock work or in the sand bed. I am wondering if it makes a difference in terms of their growth. I have two, both started with one head. Both now have multiple heads. They are currently on a small rock, but I will be re-aquascaping my 180 in the next couple of months. I guess my question is, even if placed in the sand, do they need to be mounted to a rock that is in the sand? Or can I just stick their "stalks" in the sand itself? If I do that, will they continue to grow and spread, or will the sand hem them in the way it does some other corals?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read varying opinions on whether to place Duncans on the rock work or in the sand bed. I am wondering if it makes a difference in terms of their growth. I have two, both started with one head. Both now have multiple heads. They are currently on a small rock, but I will be re-aquascaping my 180 in the next couple of months. I guess my question is, even if placed in the sand, do they need to be mounted to a rock that is in the sand? Or can I just stick their "stalks" in the sand itself? If I do that, will they continue to grow and spread, or will the sand hem them in the way it does some other corals?
I have mine 1/2 way up, under the lights and alternating flow. ? I made the stupid mistake of turning up my white lights 100% the other day, for 4 hours (after a water change too) and now have green algae...however with that being said...it's tenticals are really long! idk if that's ok or not...but wow it looks happy! also fed it that morning so that could be part of it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back